Forum admin

Forums

Playing with "real" bands?

Playing with
O/P Message 1/2
18-Jul-02 @ 06:52 PM
99devils
Link: Link
I guess I'm trying to get a feel for the "scene" where each of you live and perform, and compare it to our situation.

I live in Buffalo NY, USA. Buffalo's a smallish city with about 800,000 people or so. It's a rust belt town, and it's tastes mostly include cheap crappy beer, classic rock, and Canadian alt-rock (Tragically Hip, etc). There's little to no dance/electronic scene here. Most electronic acts have a really hard time finding venues, and when they do find them, they rarely draw well. This doesn't affect what I'm doing so much, since I'm playing with a full band anyways, and we're an electronic influenced metal band anyways.. But I'm wondering if the rest of you ever have to piggyback onto some forward-thinking rock band's gig or anything like that? What are your experiences? How well do dance/electronic acts draw in your area?

-Craig

Track this topic in your Forum admin

RE: Playing with
Message 2/2
18-Jul-02 @ 10:45 PM
Errata
Link: Link
Pretty damn well, if the cops will leave them alone... (oh, that's another thread!)

In Sacramento there's a party every weekend (usualy more than one)... and we're only an hour and a half from San Francisco... which makes it hard on mediocre acts or someone just getting started. But if you're known or are really good it's not hard to find venues. The people in the scene here are all pretty cool as well. I still meet people all the time with the best attitudes.

I do play off and on with a tribal collective of electronic musicians, hand percussionists and fire dancers/belly dancers! That kind of show brings in a huge draw but it's difficult to get everyone involved on the same stage at one time...

e

Track this topic in your Forum admin

Reply to thread

Please log in to post replies: