Forums

Live Kit

Pages:

RE: Live Kit
Message 21/29
03-Apr-02 @ 10:55 PM
influx
Link: Link
good point. Ive never really done setup/strike, so...

4 boxes and a stand aint so bad

Track this topic in your Forum admin

Message 22/29
04-Apr-02 @ 12:51 PM
Pongoid
A buddy of mine uses a laptop with his Notron, and Reaktor live. It's hit or miss, but when it hits...look out!

Guys, we have it easy now. You don't even want to try to think about moving, setting up, and dialing in and mic'ing a bass rig, then loading out at the end of the night. Four boxes is really easy, especially stuff that stores it all for you. And what ever happened to playing in a group, like three four, five people at the same time, bustin it out? It's not hard, you just have to use your ears more, and ego less. it works. I've done it with fourteen at once before. It can be done. We have it easy. Enjoy the fact. Use this ease, and get out there. Stop worrying about the nitpicking stuff, and just make sure you have what you need, and the other little bits if something goes wrong.

Ape

Message 23/29
05-Apr-02 @ 08:49 PM
formant
influx, have you tried the multiband on the master outs of the RS? its quite punchy and should take the place of the RNC cuz the bass won't kill the rest of your volumes when it hits in like the RNC does...

sitar, you could do a whole live PA with the 6pack ensemble alone (reaktor)... sync sixpac to some external gear and you are set up nicely.

jamey

Message 24/29
05-Apr-02 @ 10:36 PM
99devils
Better late than never I guess...

I do things a little different because I am working with a full band, 1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 drummer, and a vocalist (although we just fired his ass). So here it is:

Yamaha RM1X for sequencing & the drummer's click.. Basically the brains of the operation, but I do a lot of actual playing these days. A Nord Lead I keyboard as master keys and about 1/2 of the synth sounds. Access Virus A for the rest of the synth sounds. Akai S6000 sampler for the rest. And a Sony FX processor.. I forget the model, but it's got 4 ins and outs and lets you configure them to run 1 stereo effect or 2 independent mono effects.

One pair of outs from the Virus and both of the Nord outs go to the Sony.. From there I can assign FX however I need them (a stereo effct for the virus and 2 indepentand effects for the Nord, usually). Another pair of outs from the Virus go straight to the mixer, as does the main stereo out of the S6000. The internal tone generator in the RM1X goes to a headphone amp which feeds a click to the drummer. The mixer is a 10-channel Behringer which is nice live because it's small and light, not too noisy. And cheap! And the rack kit was included too  

MIDI all gets routed through a MOTU Micro Express. This setup is nice because I can route signals at the channel level (nice for avoiding wierd notes coming from the wrong synth), and because I can take the whole rig home and simply plug it into the PC.

All this crap gets packed into 2 SKBs, plus a case for the Nord and the RM1X. Casparproject turned me on to these aluminum tool cases they sell at Home Depot for $20 to hold the RM. I cut a little foam to pack it in more solidly, but it fits nicely. One SKB is a 12-spacer, and it holds the Virus, mixer, MIDI interface, and the FX box. The other is a 6-space and it holds a power conditioner and the Akai.

I don't run the sequencer the entire time during a live set, just when I've got sequenced bits. About 2/3rds of the time I'm playing.

-Craig

Message 25/29
06-Apr-02 @ 01:35 AM
horizens
where the hell is casparproject?

Message 26/29
06-Apr-02 @ 05:10 AM
sitar
Good question. He has an mp3 page with a zillion tracks on it. Plays live too. He checked in here about 3 or 4 months ago I think.

Message 27/29
06-Apr-02 @ 10:34 AM
Pongoid
He's probably wised up, and gotten on with the show rather than just talkin about it...dhoh!

Message 28/29
08-Apr-02 @ 03:59 PM
99devils
I figured I'd see him roll through Buffalo at some point but he has not..

He's also out of school and working now, maybe that explains it some.

-Craig

Message 29/29
08-Apr-02 @ 08:19 PM
influx
Formant..yeah..multiband, but..I kinda like the other master FX

plus..for a multiband compressor to work properly you would need to change the settings between (some) songs as they all dont really need the same effect

Im kindof a fan of the LoFi and distortion!
D

Pages:

Reply to thread

Please log in to post replies: