Forum admin

Forums

need breakbeat drum patterns

need breakbeat drum patterns
O/P Message 1/7
04-Nov-00 @ 02:41 AM
chickenhead
I'm fixin to use some breakbeat in a song, but I don't know how. Can someone help me out with some basic breakbeat patterns?

Track this topic in your Forum admin

RE: need breakbeat drum patterns
Message 2/7
05-Nov-00 @ 12:37 AM
r-tek
listen and learn, young jedi.

Message 3/7
05-Nov-00 @ 12:43 AM
r-tek
he he, whoops.

Message 4/7
05-Nov-00 @ 06:40 PM
h
I need more bars.My beats are 2 and 4 measure beats.Why not just play it in real time w/ the loop on and quantize to sixteenth notes?Funky beats are easy if you don't try to get too complex then it loses the funk.Besides a funky pattern really relies on the interaction of the bassline and the beat.

If all else fails use 8th note quantize on the bass and the snare.

btw if you want to sample some breaks try the vinylistics cd but please cut and paste the beats within the measure by using a piece of this break and a piece of that break etc.Then program some fills and hats for your own live sounding breaks.

Message 5/7
07-Nov-00 @ 12:25 PM
bster2000
whats ACCENT in the grid.

Message 6/7
07-Nov-00 @ 05:09 PM
k
whatever row you choose to title as 'Accent' - it's just a grid.

Message 7/7
07-Nov-00 @ 07:00 PM
damballah
I think he means what is 'accent' in r-tek's 'he he whoops' beat. Those beats are louder. Set the velocity to 127 on those beats. Set it somewhat lower on the others. Vary both your harder and softer velocities and move some hits slightly ahead or behind to make it more human. Accents work especially well if there's velocity-switching going on. Stick in some ghost hits, too. A snare drum, for instance, in real life has different tonal qualities when struck harder or softer -- sure the volume changes, but the timbre changes, too. Or you can use strict 16th-note quantization and one velocity if you want to be robotic.

Reply to thread

Please log in to post replies: