Forum admin

Forums

techno percussion

techno percussion
O/P Message 1/8
05-Sep-00 @ 05:33 AM
Brent Finch
Link: Link
when u listen to techno , and by this i mean the likes of jeff mills , dve clarke , technasia , dj rush and the likes and not the rave-ish stuff
there's always some great hihat-crash)-ride-perc patters i can t seem to find out myself , so if any has an idea...

There's also this sound of the complete record reversed , i mean it sounds like it , but ive tried and that isnt the thing to do so once again , any1 have an idea??

other techno tricks welcome too

Track this topic in your Forum admin

RE: techno percussion
Message 2/8
25-Sep-00 @ 06:54 AM
Jasper
layer the hi-hats.. clean ones/dirty ones/dephased ones.

there's been loads of stuff mentioned.. do a search for techno in this forum.

Message 3/8
26-Sep-00 @ 05:54 PM
Derrick
I have noticed that if i go to add a second hi hat loop atop another, i get real bad phasing. How do you prevent this? Do i need to high pass filter the second loop till i no longer hear the phasing. Haven't had time to try this.

Message 4/8
27-Sep-00 @ 07:18 AM
jasper
try using different hihat sounds

Message 5/8
09-Oct-00 @ 01:32 PM
teemu
You really can't prevent the slight phasing if you have two copies of the same loop so you have more or less 2 options:

1) Don't use loops. Writing your own hihat patterns will give better and more original results. And no phasing problems.

or

2) Pitch the loops up and down a bit to get some proper detuning and pan them left and right. That way you can use the phasing to your advantage, making a fatter, wider sound.

Message 6/8
10-Oct-00 @ 11:57 PM
ModAsBlue
And the reversing sound is often just done in digital multitracking...

(reverse the waveform of a quarter note)

The kicks, I've not mastered, though. I always get (electronic) "c-thmp" when I need "KKCK - " (slammy-reverb).

Message 7/8
11-Oct-00 @ 04:08 AM
H
I'll have to listen to what your talking about I'm an electro/acid freak but it might be a 707 crash.I don't know though.

Message 8/8
11-Oct-00 @ 11:07 AM
Jasper
a delay unit can help with the hihats also.. and don't be afraid to use white noise as an open sound, drop it low in the mix and if using a sampler dephase it so it's panned left&right at the same time.. layer that with the hat's patterns and the hifreq start to clash.. then the real rythmical patterns will emerge.

basically layering hats etc.

Reply to thread

Please log in to post replies: