aaa Quantisation Theory - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Quantisation Theory

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/47             29-Oct-02  @  03:50 PM   -   Quantisation Theory

Mr Bash

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Is the bass supposed to mirror the drums?

As in if I quantise my drum track to 16b in logic, then do I quantise my bass to 16b?

Also I find that if I quantise my drums to 16b and then try a quantisation of say 16c/16d for the percussion, it sound messy and stilted!

Is every thing supposed to be on the same swing or not?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/47             29-Oct-02  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

k

you cant do it like that realy... certainly mixing up different 'swing' feels will be a mess for a drum pattern - your bass should fall exactly on the beat where it DOES fall on the beat, but otherwise, it's supposed to work empathicaly with the drums, not follow them exactly..

Message 3/47             29-Oct-02  @  07:18 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

psylichon

Link?: Link

The only thing that determines the quantize resolution for any given part is the musical lines that part is playing. If the shortest note is a 16th note (i.e. 1/4 of a beat) then that's your resolution. If you were to quantize a 16th-note part with 8th note resolution, it would move every other note and stack them on the 8th-note grid. Get me?

psylichon

Message 4/47             30-Oct-02  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

Mr Bash

Thank you for the response. However, I am still unsure as to what you guys mean.

The thing is I find the whole "groove" a bit of a mystery. I know that velocity is hugely important to groove and I do you this alot.

Generally, stuff that falls on a 1/4 or 1/8 note I leave dead on the beat. Then stuff like hats and perc that fall on the 2 or 4 16th note I put a swing on. This tends to be a 16b swing (ie 21 ticks).

However, is there not a drumming rule? Like I would say the hats are what should be what is "shaking" the most so I would of thought that you would have to put this on the most swing, like say 16d in Logic. Then the stuff like perc would want to be a bit tighter and solid so I would think that this should be a bit tighter so maybe a 16b. However, this don't work so my theory is obviously wrong.

ALso what do you mean about "the bass playing empathicaly with the drums" K?

Also, listening to my favorite tunes, it seems that the snares are coming in earlier a bit. Even the records that I have that are 125 BPM seem alot faster and I pressume this is down to pro programming. There is a real energy and a kind of "push-pull" thing going on.

Maybe I'm just hearing pumping compression but I am sure there is more to a grooving drum track then a punping stereo compressor.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 5/47             30-Oct-02  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

k

those A, B, C, D, E etc quantise 'swing' divisions cant be mixed in the same pattern is what we're saying - and the bass does NOT have to follow the drums, well not 100%.. in other words, it should 'fit' the drums, some of the bassnotes might fall on the same beat as the kik or snare, but not all the bass notes should match drum notes... but you should use the same sort of swing on the bass pattern if there is any on the drums at all.

whatever... it has to gel musicaly feel-wise... so use your ears

dont think flinging some preset quantise on stuff will make a good beat or groove for you is what we are saying i think...

Message 6/47             30-Oct-02  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

xoxos

Link?: Link

maybe not for dance, but you can certainly mix swing for listening.. i could see it working for dance as well if your swing timings weren't simultaneous, ie. your swing-hats swing on a different beat than your swing-snare. i might be experiencing some disorientation.

Message 7/47             30-Oct-02  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

espoo2

so you dont move things on the 1/8 or 1/4 notes?
Whoops.

Message 8/47             31-Oct-02  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

Mr Bash

So that's my problem is it espo? Maybe I need to move my 1/4 notes and 1/8 notes aswell. I have tried doing this but it makes my whole drum track sound disjointed. Making music isn't as easy as it looked on the box. :-)

Message 9/47             31-Oct-02  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

espoo2

haha...no.

I meant, *I* do that, and maybe I shouldn't.
But I probably will.

Message 10/47             31-Oct-02  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

d

the george clinton/bootsie collins school sez
you come down HARD on the ONE and
syncopate everything in between. wheee!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 47 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)