aaa What Scale For Trance? - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: What Scale For Trance?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             10-Feb-03  @  09:34 AM   -   What Scale For Trance?

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Seriously though, what scales do you guys use when writing tracks? I'm bored of the Dorian now. Any other scales work better?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             10-Feb-03  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: What Scale For Trance?

Dominic

please.

Message 3/12             10-Feb-03  @  03:35 PM   -   RE: What Scale For Trance?

Steve Roughley

Well, I write house and proghouse and all of my tracks are written upon the bass and the drums, so I allways use a scale that works best for my bass. I find that the best scale is G# (A flat) natural, or melodic, minor. It just seems to create that 'house' feel.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 4/12             10-Feb-03  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: What Scale For Trance?

Dominic

Cheers for the response Steve. Is this the melodic minor scale you use in Ab then ?

"A, B, C, D, E, F#, G#"

Message 5/12             10-Feb-03  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: What Scale For Trance?

Steve Roughley

That's the one. As it is primarily used with guitars (mostly Jazz I think) it works a treat if you base your track around the bassline, which most dance producers do.

Steve.

Message 6/12             11-Feb-03  @  07:23 AM   -   RE: What Scale For Trance?

BJT

Diatonic, Pentonic, Chromatic, what else do you need?

Message 7/12             11-Feb-03  @  08:10 AM   -   RE: What Scale For Trance?

psylichon

Link?: Link

Not sure what it's called, but I call it the "Ozric Scale." It's nice for goa-esque leads and such. In A:

A, Bb, Db, D, E, F, Ab, A.

Also fiddle around with that Ab, changing it to a G every now and then. The main difference is whether you want the dominant chord (E) to be major or minor.

Message 8/12             12-Feb-03  @  04:23 AM   -   RE: What Scale For Trance?

Pongoid

look, I've said it loads of time, but....fuck it, I'll say it once more. When it comes to keys, and scale and shit, there is no "winner for the hits" scale. In fact, if you'd simply learn the rules, you'd learn how to break them, and then you'd learn that there is not wrong note, as long as you resolve it correctly. Study the old stuff. It will then teach you how to learn the new stuff, and then teach you how to step beyond the new stuff and into just doing YOUR stuff.

Ape

Message 9/12             12-Feb-03  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: What Scale For Trance?

Dominic

Pongoid - cheers for killing my thread stone dead mate! :-) (he, he, he)

Message 10/12             14-Feb-03  @  12:15 AM   -   RE: What Scale For Trance?

Pongoid

Like I say, you're trying to make science out of art. It's cool to undertand it, and be able to explain the tensions and resolutions as well as Psil does, but at teh end of the day it's all pretty much academic until you learn how to apply these things in your own contexts. Otherwise, you simply repeat what others have done. Let's face it: if somebody else has already done it, then somebody else has probably done it better, and that deserves study if it at all interests you, if only out of respect for your desire to improve yourself.

Ape

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot