aaa lap w no flop and win xp home ed? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: lap w no flop and win xp home ed?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             20-Feb-04  @  03:04 PM   -   lap w no flop and win xp home ed?

xoxos

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

in the u.s. there are these hp laps going for $700 everywhere.. athlon xp 1.87g, 256m ram, seems like good price.

as a desktop user, i'm daunted by no floppy drive.. what happens on a no flop lap when your os ballses up or something? you have to pay a tech every time, or is there a 'way in' ??

compound this with them having win xp HOME EDITION, which i understand doesn't give you features you get in 98 like control panel (well, fuck me if i could find it - read someone saying 'xp home edition doesn't have "nuts and bolts" functions, only xp pro ed.')

my instinct would just be to reformat for 98se, but then i might not have all the drivers a new lap requires.

what say you?

hmm.. other question -

can you link a lap to a desktop via the usb for file swapping?? :p

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             20-Feb-04  @  04:30 PM     Edit: 20-Feb-04  |  04:32 PM   -   RE: lap w no flop and win xp home ed?

craig

XP Home should have control panel, but to be honest with you I don't know for sure. OS CDs are all bootable these days so no problems there... You could use a network to connect the two. Your lappie might have it built in and desktop cards are like $5 on Ebay.

-Craig

Message 3/16             20-Feb-04  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: lap w no flop and win xp home ed?

dARKSTATe

Most modern systems should allow you to boot off a USB Drive Xoxos, so you could put a build of any XP startup disks on there.  

Or the basic startup stuff with CDRom support..

But yeah, most new OS builds of XP should come on bootable CD unless its the upgrade disc

Message 4/16             20-Feb-04  @  09:25 PM   -   RE: lap w no flop and win xp home ed?

sox

Link?:  Link

My laptop has no floppy either. Just get a USB one. Means another piece to carry around though.

Check the bags that M-Audio do for the Ozone and Oxygen. Designed for musicians. Holds yer laptop, the keyboard (if so desired) as well as space for USB interfaces/cables/mic etc. I got one a few weeks ago. Its the only one that would hold my new laptop with 17" screen that I could find + all the bits I need to carry around for mobile recording.

sox

Message 5/16             20-Feb-04  @  11:17 PM   -   RE: lap w no flop and win xp home ed?

milan

yeah x... you dont need a floppy drive anymore with xp or 2k.

Message 6/16             22-Feb-04  @  01:02 AM   -   RE: lap w no flop and win xp home ed?

xoxos

yap.. surprise surprise, i naturally figured no floppy=their excuse for you to pay service fees more often.. glad to be proved wrong!

managed to configure it to 98 appearance, complete with device manager. this sort of misunderstanding comes about easily when you smoke a blunt before you troubleshoot someone else's system..

looks like i'm good to go. only thing i miss is the little typable browser address bar at the top of folders.

Message 7/16             22-Feb-04  @  04:00 AM   -   RE: lap w no flop and win xp home ed?

psylichon

Still there. "Address bar" where you usually get the local hard drive path, but you can type a URL in there, should you desire to do so (kinda annoying to me cause if file explorer is open when I hit the special browser hotkey I got here, it opens dancetech in the right pane instead of a new window... grrr....keep your file and internet explorers seperate innit?)

If you need any more tips on making XP more 98-like, feel free to ask because I consider myself an expert on the subject. "aqua bubble liquid crap" graphics make me feel like I'm using a mac.

Message 8/16             22-Feb-04  @  10:18 AM   -   RE: lap w no flop and win xp home ed?

milan

yeah... i also configured my xp to look like my 98, right down to the wallpaper and shit.

x... just make sure to do all the tweaks. we listed them all in.. uh.. some thread right down here somewhere :/

Message 9/16             22-Feb-04  @  10:19 AM   -   RE: lap w no flop and win xp home ed?

milan

oh yeah "optimizing windows for logic" thread

Message 10/16             22-Feb-04  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: lap w no flop and win xp home ed?

Bedwyr

must concur. i don't have a floppy in 2 boxes here. bios can start boot from cd if you enable it. not everything in life is shit eh?

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot