aaa newbie needs 2-step beat help - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: newbie needs 2-step beat help

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19             14-Jan-05  @  04:51 AM   -   newbie needs 2-step beat help

CJ

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hey,

I've reviewed the posts here and some of the files but I'm still looking for info to get me started. I just want to start with the basic 2-step (boom cha boom-cha) beat but I cannot figure it out.

Many of the beats here which say "2-step" have snares on 2&4 but I think a basic 2-step has one or more snares in different places. But I am just getting into this some maybe I am missing something...

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             14-Jan-05  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

milan

Link?: Link

here, check this out: http://txc-xxx.tripod.com/index/id4.html

believe it or not, its a page showing newbies how to program various 2step beats  

Message 3/19             14-Jan-05  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

CJ

Help!

Thanks milan btw...

I did review that site before posting but those beats are primarily backbeats though the grime beat has claps on the threes so I guess it is what you'd call half-time. If there is such a thing as THE traditional 2-step, I am still looking.

Thanks again

Message 4/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:29 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

disclaimer: I claim complete ignorance on the genre.

But from what I think I know about it, it's fast innit. That would be called double time.
The basic backbeat with a snare on 2 and 4 is normal time. A backbeat with a snare on every 3 would be halftime. Doubletime would put the snare on the "ands". See the diagram.

(at least, these are the terms I use with studio drummers with relatively universal agreement)

So wouldn't a doubltimed basic backbeat give you a basic two-step beat?

Message 5/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:30 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

hmm, didn't add the grid

Message 6/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:31 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

yeah, k... the drum grid don't work. is this what someone else was talking about in another thread...?

Message 7/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:45 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

trying with IE instead of Mozilla

Message 8/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:45 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

[sighs]

Message 9/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:58 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

CJ

psylichon,

Thanks but the beat(s) have a disjointed feel - not simply double time I believe. The snares seem to be displaced in some manner and of course they are sped up a lot. I'm thinking Hardstep stuff like Dred Bass "Technology"

In any case I'd like to start with confirmation of THE traditional two step pattern [if there is such a thing] and start improvising from there.

Any specific help would be great

Message 10/19             15-Jan-05  @  07:11 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot