aaa Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/15             28-Jan-05  @  11:28 AM   -   Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records

ippeshev

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello everibody,

I see you have experience with different soundcards and I'm asking for your advice.
I need external soundcard for my laptop Siemens-Fujitsu 800 MHz for quality vocal recording with 2 micropfones (stereo) with headphone and line-in connectors and to be cheep. I found:
1. M-Audio Transit (24 bit - is it true?, but selfpowered micropfone). Is it realy good and what type of micropfone I should purchase for it?
2. Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB MKII - don't have stereo mic. in (I think)
3. M-Audio MobilePre - 2 XLR and even 1/8'' stereo mic input, but 16-bit and much expensive.
What would you recomend me?
Thank you

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             28-Jan-05  @  11:45 AM   -   RE: Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records

k

Link?:  Link

i dont think in this area you'll find any much difference in 'qiality' between makes, but reliability is an issue, drivers etc - i've used the tascam USB device alot and that was pretty good

but then i've had mates who got big record deals using the built-in audio i/o on the laptop in combi with a decent pre-amp & mic! - most audio i/o on modern laptops are 24/96 & decent quality but they just have not brilliant connectors (usualy minijack), it's just that these built-in motherboard attached audio i/o sections aren't so good for low-latency drivers (although you can try ASIO4ALL drivers with them), but whatever you get soundcard wise you'll need a pre-amp and mic, so why not get that and try it with the built-in sound i/o on the lappy, check the results and then decide if you need an add-on external i/o device... you might not in reality

i dont think you'll get a great pre-amp on a budget external audio i/o device so why not get the pre-amp seperate and if you do need a dedicated external i/o device get that seperate to the pre-amp

if you want a good cheap all-round mic for vocals then red5audio & thomann & studioprojects etc all do cheap large diaphragm condenser mic's starting at around 40-60 UKP! - they are all good mic's... you could put that with say a little behringer 802 'tablet' mixer and you get two mic pre-amps with phantom power which you can easily route out to the PC (also has heaphone socket for monitoring while recording

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/15             28-Jan-05  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records

ippeshev

Thank you, K,

But my laptop sound card doesn't performs well. It has scrathes when I'm recording with my microphone Philips HD350 and hiss in reproduced sound. I cannot make with it good records.
Do you think I'll need pre-amp with the sound cards I mentioned above? At least I think not with M-Audio MobilePre.
Shell I get only condenser microphones for choir vocal records?
Good idea to put a mixer, but the price become high. I think with M-Audio MobilePre (support phantompowered mic.) will not need a mixer - I only want stereo vocal recording.

Message 4/15             29-Jan-05  @  04:05 AM   -   RE: Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records

damballah

Link?: Link

the large diaphragm condensors, particularly the cardioid ones, enhance the sound of a single voice mic'd quite a bit closer than you'd wanna mic a choir. maybe a pair of small diaphragm condensors. Omnis and multipattern mics are probably out of your price range.

rode's NT4 is an XY-mounted pair of small capsule cardioids... US$450
or a pair of Oktava mc-012's and a stereo bar set you back around US$150-250
(you can get a multi capsule version for a lot more.)
mxl marshall offers a pair for around US$100. I imagine redbone or t-bone have similar deals -- a lot of 'em come from the same plant.

I've heard that the pres on that M-Audio mobilpre are only so-so and it being 16 bit/48k would be a deal breaker fer me. but you'd have to spend quite a bit more to get 2 channels of nice pre-amplification plus the sound card to get it in. f'rinstance FMR RNP (really nice preamp) runs US$475, best 2 channels you can get without dumping a lot more cash. f*ck behringer.

Message 5/15             30-Jan-05  @  01:16 AM   -   RE: Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records

psylichon

I recommend the marshall MXL 603e's. They're awesome all-purpose small-diaphraghm condensers, and I've used them to great effect on live gospel choirs.

Message 6/15             30-Jan-05  @  01:39 AM   -   RE: Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records

damballah

there ya go

from MXL's homepage:

"This is a flat-out winner, folks. Almost identical to the MC012 in sound, with a wide cardioid pattern, almost approaching omni. We used the as drum overhead mics, and they do a great job… They were also a perfect match to the Oktava MC012 - they sounded nearly identical."
Harvey Gerst

also 100 bucks each...

Message 7/15             30-Jan-05  @  05:29 AM   -   RE: Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records

psylichon

best hihat mic I've EVER used, beating out Neumans, Geffels, and other usual suspects.

Message 8/15             30-Jan-05  @  01:11 PM   -   RE: Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records

milan

aparently they are not available outside of usa?

Message 9/15             01-Feb-05  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records

ippeshev

Thank you for your help
I think about negatives of M-Audio MobilePre - Damballah, what have you heard?
I know it is difficult to choose good sound card for up to 200$, but I just need good 2 mic inputs with preamp, line-in and one headphone jack. How are M-Audio Duo and Quatro? Unfortunately M-Audio Audiofile don't have microphone inputs.
What you think about a pair of T.bone EM800 micropfones. They have 30-20KHz band? Are they suiatable for choir records?

Message 10/15             01-Feb-05  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: Ext. souncard for stereo mic. records

k

Link?:  Link

surely you'd be better off getting dedicated pre amps and the soundcard just for that?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot