aaa Brilliant documentary on iplayer - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Brilliant documentary on iplayer

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             16-Aug-11  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: Brilliant documentary on iplayer

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

sorry, i gues non british cant view this, but i was up late and there was this great documentary about rain.. yup rain

great show, combining british social history and science, even fashion (development of rainwear after machintosh's invention of waterproof fabric).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/jz8gj/

also, 2 victorian explorers took of by hot air balloon from wolverhampton gasworks and flew 7 miles above the earth! 7 fucking miles! they almost died of course collecting moisture data.

well worth a watch

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             16-Aug-11  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: Brilliant documentary on iplayer

oxygene65

I will have to check that out at the weekend.  I got iPlayer running on the Wii, so can sit on the sofa and watch programmes on telly like normal people, rather than bolt upright glued to a PC screen.

Did you see the Horizon last night about the new 21st century telescopes used to delve deep into to the cosmos. Was rather good. Albeit a bit dumbed down.

Message 3/12             16-Aug-11  @  09:30 PM     Edit: 16-Aug-11  |  09:33 PM   -   RE: Brilliant documentary on iplayer

k

yeah, a little of it. the imagery was superb, but i got a phone call as it started so saw it only with no sound. I'll have to check it on iplayer if it was on bbc (think it was)

also last night late on bbc there was a superb doc' looking at the work of David Nash.. amazing stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ymlhp/Force_of_Nature_The_Sculpture_of_David_Nash/

i'm not down with "arty farty" art, but Nash does it for me.

yeah, I too have my 42" tv setup with iplayer via a mac into the rgb input, hehe, as you say, watch it properly.

anyhow, better get back to the tv.. cant miss Kickboxer with J.C van damme, lol a veritable classic 80's fest!! heheh

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/12             17-Aug-11  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: Brilliant documentary on iplayer

oxygene65

yeah the telescope thing was Horizon, on BBC2.

aah, Kickboxer LOL, havent seen that in about 20 years.

I preferred Bloodsports tho.  

Message 5/12             17-Aug-11  @  03:43 AM   -   RE: Brilliant documentary on iplayer

sitar

i wish i could get BBC. 

Message 6/12             17-Aug-11  @  04:54 AM   -   RE: Brilliant documentary on iplayer

oxygene65

Well it WAS something to be proud of, our BBC, but its rapidly becoming a pile of shite and a shadow of its former self. Especially after failing to secure F1 for next season.  It excels at its sports coverage, especially Formula 1 and the World Cup/Euro football tournaments. It is absolute sacrilige that it has allowed Sky to get a foothold in the door of Formula one, its sealed its fate forever now. Wont be long before it goes pay per view.

It does also still, rarely, churn out some fantastic documentaries. Although most of them are dumbed right down and filled with flash CGI and trendy music to make them nearly appealing to the mainstream audience and keep their attention for more than 2 seconds.

What annoys me is that it has got caught up in the viewing figures war with the commercial channels. Of course for the commercial channels they need the viewing figures to entice advertisers, as they are financed mainly by advertising revenue. But the BBC is financed by the license fee, and therefore it doesnt need to compete. But it still churns out fucking shit dross bollocky soap operas, boring tired old period dramas and dirge like Strictly Come Dancing or some fucking stupid cunting reality Celebrity Sound Of Music On Ice Search For Oliver Talent Show reality junk and they milk it and milk it and milk it and milk it and milk it.....

All the really interesting, challenging and inspiring stuff gets pushed over to BBC4 usually. Anything that actually makes you think, or wonder, or could encourage you to get an interest in something different never gets a look in on BBC1. Thats reserved for the braindead cunts that I call the majority of the general public.

In fact, if I had my way, I'd swap BBC1 with BBC4 and make the dumb fucks watch back to back of the likes of Professor Brian Cox, Dr Iain Stewart, Professor Jim Al-Khalili, Simon Schama..etc... and consign BBC1 to some obscure channel thats only on for 2 hours a day, between 2am and 4am.

Message 7/12             17-Aug-11  @  02:25 PM     Edit: 17-Aug-11  |  02:26 PM   -   RE: Brilliant documentary on iplayer

k

lol, cash in ther attic!!

yeah i saw that Horizon and yes, badly dumbed down

try this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/khanacademy#grid/user/166048DD75B05C0D

it's brilliant.I've got as far as mass composition conversions & balancing equations.

Message 8/12             17-Aug-11  @  08:36 PM   -   RE: Brilliant documentary on iplayer

oxygene65

Bah. youtube blocked at work so I will have to look next time I'm off shift and have some quality time in the music room.

Its like this Wonders Of The Universe / Solar System programmes. Coxey sends me off to sleep, theres no drama in his voice, and I really struggle to keep nodding off. But sometimes you watch these programs where 95% you already know and have known for years, in the hope that 5% will be new material.

My wife hates watching scientific programmes with me, especially if they have anything to do with space and the earth sciences.  I sit there and predict what they are going to say, and say it before they say it, much to her annoyance. Like if it were a programme on Volcanoes I sit there with a beer, slouched on the sofa and just every now and then go...... "pacific ring of fire"....... 5 mins later.... "subduction zone...."   5 mins later "pyroclastic cloud"......... 5 mins later "Etna"......
    "FUCKSAKES JOCK I WANT TO FUCKING WATCH THIS!".

Message 9/12             17-Aug-11  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: Brilliant documentary on iplayer

k

ha ha ha ha ha, lol

"pacific ring of fire".
is that after a particularly spicey mexican meal?

well mate thats why i .. whats the word.. retreated.. to the chemistry stuff, cos i DONT know it & it offers some mental stimuli when there's no van damme films on lol. Grade UN-classified at school lol, not even a grade 6 cse ffs, but then i was always off shagging neway so what do you expect.. a bit of metal wizzing around a tank of water cant compare to hands on biology 'reproductive system' practicals, heheh

so yeah, it's a struggle but interesting. as for that wondersof t'universe bloke, i dunno, he irks a lot of people if u read any reviews, it's ok but it aint attenborough, the guy who does the maths one he IS good, 'history of mathmatics', some youngish proff, loloked a bit like a tidier version f johnny rotten, lol, anyways it fucks me off the bbc dont leave that stuff online permenant, i mean we pay for it!

Message 10/12             18-Aug-11  @  12:04 AM   -   RE: Brilliant documentary on iplayer

oxygene65

LOL aye, I walked away with no grades too. I was the first year to do GCSE's. I succesfully managed to get no C or aboves, meaning I was consigned to a lifetime of shit mundane office jobs.

I remember actually asking my biology teacher where the g-spot was.  I mean not her g-spot, its not like I was in bed with her and trying to bring her off. I mean I was in class and put my hand up and asked where the g-spot was. I mean I didnt put my hand up to find the g-spot, its not like I was fisting her or anything in front of the class, I mean I put my hand up in class to ask a question. Ahem. Just thought I'd get that straight.

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot