aaa I NEED ADVICE! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: I NEED ADVICE!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 01-Apr-04  @  08:37 PM   -   I NEED ADVICE!

dan

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

probably seems lame to all you professionals out here, but me and my band are young and not really well off, so we decided to get a copy of cubase sx version 1.01, to save money on the expensive recording studio prices, so we could do some simple recording by connecting our guitars, basses, drums and so on through the amplifiers then from the amps outputs directly into the soundcard of my p.c, but we came across a problem, you will probably be familiar with it, 'latency', and apparently i've been told that it is something to do with the soundcard i am using, as far as i know as i'm not very experienced it is a sb live wave device something or other, i was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice on what soundcard i should buy that is reasonably priced for a teenager to buy, and hoping that it will have as little latency as possible also to be compatible with windows xp pro, cheers! sorry for bein a lameass can't help not knowin much, dan

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/13             04-Apr-04  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: I NEED ADVICE!

beds

Link?:  Link

aye, how many "sources" are you recording in one go? i.e. is the kit miced up? etc.

are you recording everything live?

where are you recording? - in a practice studio? do you get a desk and mics there?

Message 12/13             04-Apr-04  @  07:23 PM   -   RE: I NEED ADVICE!

dan

Link?:  No link

we hav a practise studio n some condensor and compressor mics, we hav no desk but we hav a computer, with mixing programs on it, we tryed recording the kit live then the bass and everything else through the computer not at once though, thanx k i will hav a look at the card u sed 2 look at, dan

Message 13/13             05-Apr-04  @  11:40 AM   -   RE: I NEED ADVICE!

k

Link?:  No link

really trust me... mix the backing all together and record it as one-take and you'll get a way better vibe/sound. a small 6-8 channel mixer will suffice.

mic up the drums, bass & guitar into the mixer, get a balance in headphones, do a few test takes and playback to check levels are ok and get the takes down... THEN overdub riffs/lead/vocals etc one by one on top

or go that step further and get a multi-IN soundcard - but that'd cost more of course, but then you could record drum parts, bass & guitar all-at-once but on seperate audio tracks in the host sequencer/audio multitrack

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot