aaa Best OS - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Best OS

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 28-Nov-04  @  12:26 PM   -   Best OS

Jack

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hello all! It's Jack , back from the dead! My how times change! I was just given a
pc (Gateway desktop model) from my mother in law, which I will place in the
basement of my (yeah - mortgaged in my name!) house, allowing enough space ,
of course, for my 2 year old to run around in.
Anyway this pc has Windows 2000. I'm planning on using Reason, maybe Acid or
Fruity Loops. Basicly pc stuff I've never tried, since I own a Mac. Should I upgrade
to XP?
Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             02-Dec-04  @  02:59 PM   -   RE: Best OS

damballah

Link?: Link

This is from http://www.musicxp.net/about_xp.php

"The decision between buying XP Home or XP Professional is actually a very simple one to make. Follow this Microsoft link for a direct comparison.

"If you require SMP support (dual processor), then you'll need to go for the XP Professional edition. The Home edition does not offer this functionality.

"If your computer is going to be used within an NT network domain environment, then you'll need the XP Professional edition. However, the home edition still has "peer to peer" networking, so you'll still be able to connect XP computers over a "home" network.

"There are other more subtle differences between the two versions, including file level rights in the professional edition (requires NTFS) and the missing backup program in the Home Edition (TIP - you can actually find the backup program on the Home edition CD in the \VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP directory!!)

"The configuration tool (gpedit.msc) is only available in the professional version."

then there's a chart on the page...

and this...

"Product Activation

"All retail versions of Windows XP require product activation after a 30 day grace period. If you try to use XP after the grace period, it will only give you the option to activate and will not allow you to do anything else until you have activated.

"Activation is carried out over the internet or by speaking to someone over the phone. There is also an automated touch-tone method. This is an anti-piracy measure by Microsoft.

"If you're still worried or require more information, then try this link, which has a white paper about the guts of WPA."

Message 12/18             02-Dec-04  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: Best OS

k

Activation is carried out over the internet or by speaking to someone over the phone. There is also an automated touch-tone method. This is an anti-piracy measure by Microsoft.

yeah, that's the bit you DONT want - so you need to try and get a corp edition for lan use

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/18             02-Dec-04  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: Best OS

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

Activation isn't really a problem, is it? I mean, it doesn't get in the way of making music, so what's the problem there?

Message 14/18             02-Dec-04  @  07:41 PM   -   RE: Best OS

k

well it has to be used whenever you add hardware doesnt it... not sure about adding s/w, but as i understood it (not having really checked in depth) it is intrusive

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/18             03-Dec-04  @  04:41 AM   -   RE: Best OS

damballah

nah, it's just a first time you run it deal

Message 16/18             03-Dec-04  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: Best OS

craig

As far as I understand it it works by building a checksum from your major system components... For sure if you swap motherboards it will have to be reactivated - it could've just as easily swapped machines. I think video cards will prompt a re-authorization as well. But adding software does not prompt a re-authorization.

And if you've got a legal copy, what's the problem exactly?

Message 17/18             03-Dec-04  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: Best OS

k

it's a pain that's all, & intrusive, & like it's going to stop pirating? .... yeah right!

Message 18/18             03-Dec-04  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: Best OS

craig

Is it worth $100 a license?

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)