aaa midi question - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: midi question

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 04-Jan-06  @  11:25 AM   -   midi question

Jerm

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

well..this is kind of hard for me to explain, so bare with me

first of all, i have the Alesis Ion Synth, the E_MU 1820M soundcards, with the emulator X studio software and all that crap...it also came with Cubase LE, i thought was great b/c i want to later upgrade to Cubase SX3 after i can understand the fundementals of cubase in general...

right off the bat, i come across a problem, cant figure it out so i thought id bring it here...

ok, the question is...how do i record with my ion via midi.....but using the ion sounds... they say that the ion is '4-part multi-timbral' (which means it can play up to 4 sounds at a time right???)
i add a midi track in cubase, i set the output back to my ion, and set the bank and program numbers to the right stuff in cubase, (its right because it finds the sound i want on the ion)..i then keep the midi channel on 1 on both cubase and the ion..i record..um..say a kick drum track..basic..trying to see if what im trying to do will work..

next...i add another midi track in cubase, i set the bank and program numbers up to a snare from the ion, with cubase...i change the midi channel to 2 on both cubase and the ion... i record it. i then return to zero to see if it works...and all thats plays back is the snare...i dont get the kick..i see the meter on the kicks midi channel in cubase is showing data, but not getting anything but the snare from the ion..

so how can i get mulitple sounds from the ion to play all at once with midi??

any help would be much appreciated..

Thanx

Jerm

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/18             07-Jan-06  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: midi question

milan

Link?: Link

s/w drums? Native Instruments Battery probably... check out their website. pretty easy to use, but still offers lots of features if you need them. otherwise maybe Hallion or another s/w sampler, but Battery is still better because you can tweak every individual drum sample without affecting the rest.

if you need drum samples there's a shitload on this website in the "files" section! my drum folder is nearing 1Gb, and most of them were free downloads

Message 12/18             07-Jan-06  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: midi question

k

Link?:  Link

sorry, got you mixed up with the other guy in another thread whos got a lo-end soundcard. Yeah, Battery is good and cheap, Linplug do a good drum player too, fxpansion too, there's many to choose from, and some freebies also

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/18             08-Jan-06  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: midi question

sox

Try going to MIDI channel 10....

That's where the drumkits probably are....
not MIDI channel 1 or 2.....

sox

Message 14/18             09-Jan-06  @  01:06 AM   -   RE: midi question

k

Link?:  Link

dude, it's a 8 note x 3 osc modelling synth, (afaik) i don't think it's got 'drums' in that sense

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/18             09-Jan-06  @  03:19 AM   -   RE: midi question

Jerm

yeah K, i searched and searched, and i see no drum kits..read the manual and havent seen anything about the GM midi stuff either or whatever its called..
so what i did, is i d/led the free LinPlug RMF drum sampler from this website...all i need now is samples i reckon....i looked into the Native Instruments Battery 2...looks like a pretty good program i may invest in later, but for now i think ill just stick to figuring this stuff out first before i start forking over more money into a bunch of stuff i hardly know about right now anyway...lol...

oh, you said the ion doesnt have drums in that sence...you are right..in that sence anyway, i mean, it does have drums, but not like a kit or anything..kicks, snares, and hi hats in with all the other synths and pads...

well i appreciate all of you guys' help..good to know theres a website forum out here with people that actual try an help other people instead of them to just reply with "read the manuals!" and "figure it out..i had to" and of the like...

and those 3 cubase video tutorials were the bomb!! props to whoever's idea that was

i guess thats it for this thread...but more than likely you'll be hearing from me again

thanx again
Jerm

Message 16/18             09-Jan-06  @  08:27 AM   -   RE: midi question

milan

there's some drum kits in the files section, select from the drop menu in the upper right corner. also, try this one http://www.analoguesamples.com/samples.asp?category=drums .

search google for "drum samples" etc etc... there's lots out there.

good luck, and welcome  

Message 17/18             09-Jan-06  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: midi question

Jerm

thanx again milan

Message 18/18             09-Jan-06  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: midi question

sox

today I will be mostly saying "..ooops"

sox

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)