aaa Another PCI-822 question - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Another PCI-822 question

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 15-Apr-04  @  03:04 AM   -   Another PCI-822 question

Dubmaniac

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hey- me again. Over the weekend I upgraded my sad old computer to Windows 98SE from regular old Win98. Afterward, I found out that I have no sound at all from my Tascam PCI-822 sound card, except- and this is where it gets wierd- when I use Cubase VST! Cubase operates completely normally, but it's the only way I can get any sound out of my PC. And before you say it, yes, I've tried reinstalling my drivers, but no luck. It sounds like only my ASIO software works. Short of buying a new computer (which I can't afford right now), what should I try now?

Dub

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/19             23-Apr-04  @  06:54 AM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

Dubmaniac

Link?:  Link

K... well, I got into the multimedia tab. Sure enough, both recording and playback are set to T:1-PCI822, meaning I'm recording and playing back all my audio through the first two TDIF channels of my card. That's exactly the same setting I had before I lost the use of the card. And I was able to check the status of the driver for it- it says it's working fine. (shakes head) If it's working fine, why isn't it working?!?!? And no, Tascam won't return my emails. They're starting to piss me off. Anybody know of anything else I can try?

Message 12/19             23-Apr-04  @  10:28 AM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

k

ut do you want those to the the default i/o ports?.. tdif?...

are there no other chopices if you open the drop-down selector?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/19             23-Apr-04  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

Dubmaniac

K- it gives me TDIF ports 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8 plus "use any available device". When I first installed the card, I disabled my poopy Sound Blaster card to avoid any conflicts. So the PCI-822 is my only choice, but I can choose any two ins or outs. And, before you ask, yes, I've tried using other TDIF ports- no luck. And I finally tried physically pulling the card out, powering the PC up, turning it off, then reinstalling it. It didn't make any difference. Hmmm... now what? This shouldn't be this hard. Anybody know of a Tascam forum online? I know that the main one died a while back. Have any others sprung up to take its place?

Message 14/19             26-Apr-04  @  10:40 AM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

k

hmm.... so regardless of which t/dif OUT pair you select you get no audio out for windows media player etc type windows apps... have you checked

1. the windows audio mixer - to make sure the selected t/dif outs are open/on/un-muted and the mixer faders are up?

2. any tascam applet sample-rate function/switch - can it be flexible or fixed etc? - Can you choose from a choice of drivers there for the in/outs?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/19             27-Apr-04  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

Dubmaniac

Guess what? I GOT IT TO WORK!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!! :D But it wasn't exactly obvious what I had to do. After giving up on Tascam tech support (an oxymoron), I contacted Frontier Designs, the manufacturer of the card. They replied within 24 hours, and here's what they said:

>

And that was my answer. I couldn't find the file on Microsoft's website, so I did a Google search and found it right away. As soon as I downloaded it, I had sound again. Thank you all for your help with this issue. And if I can help on any of your questions, let me know! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go listen to my soundcard...  

Dubster

Message 16/19             27-Apr-04  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

milan

Link?: Link

">" was your answer???

Message 17/19             27-Apr-04  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

Dubmaniac

Ooops! Sorry about that- I thought I could cut and paste the email into my post. Actually, what Brian at Frontier had to say is that, when you upgrade to Win98SE, you need to install a patch file for the WDM stuff to work at all. One of those things that slipped through the cracks when Microsoft designed the upgrade. My hat is off to Brian and Frontier Systems for helping me out and getting it right the first time. Conversely, I hold my middle finger up at Tascam for blowing me off. I have a feeling many other people get blown off by their tech support people. Like I said before, Tascam tech support is an oxymoron. Screw them! But Frontier... now, that's a class act! I personally called Brian to thank him for all his help. Okay, I feel better now...

Message 18/19             28-Apr-04  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

k

yeah - dont even get me started on my experiences registering GIGASTATION - GREAT soundcard product and comes with Gigasampler & gigapiano, but the registration with tascam was a joke (couldnt even get the fucking DRIVERS after a week from installing, AND, all product links in the included material list EGOSYS, but tat links back to tascam... then Tascam Uk claimed they didnt do the product at all & that it was egosys - click on egosys.net and you go to tascam etc etc etc

i was threatened to be banned from the forum for complaining too. - sad they are so badly organised, cos some of their products are great - well most of them as far as I can see (and have used).... After all, Tascam have been a respected name for more than a few decades.... it's not very good to align the brand-name with that sort of rubbish admin.

Message 19/19             24-May-04  @  10:54 PM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

MCP Media

Link?: Link

Man, I forgot how much of a pain this card is. Maybe one of you can help me.

I had this card for years, and used it with my TMD 1000. I had 8 tracks running into my computer, and all sound from my computer was running back out the spdif into my board and out hte monitors. This was easy to use anc to control... until I had a power surge that fried my PC and all components.

I remember whne Tascam first released the beta drivers so that the card would work with XP and Win2k, and I got heklp from memebrs on the forum on how to install it and set it up. I figured I would just remember how to do it.... So I bought a new PCI 822 of of E-Bay to work with my new PC and my TMD 1000.

I got the new drivers, installed the card, installed the new drivers, and viola! Nothing. I tired messing with my settings on the 822, and occasionally got some green lights on the panel, but usually my system would completely lock up and I would have to reboot and change the setting back. When I go into the control panel for windows, I can't find the card to choose the system's default audio devices. it shows the card as installed, but drop fdown box is grayed out.

I remember there was a specific sequence of things I had to do to install the card last time, and if I went through that sequence, the card would work. If I didn't, the card would not. Anybody have any idea how to get this thing installed?

TIA for any help.

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot