aaa The Key of House - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: The Key of House

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 20-Nov-02  @  10:45 AM   -   The Key of House

Steve Webster

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Disclaimer: Please don’t laugh at me for this.
I know you lot talk about using your ears but I have zero musical skills. Well, that’s not strictly true. It’s just that my theory doesn’t stretch to the “circle of fifths” and my chord progressions are quite basic. Anyway, I have reached the conclusion that both Cm and Am are my favourite keys (both the blues scales though). I find Cm to be quite “techno” sounding (kinda old school) and Am to sound quite “magical” sounding. Would you agree or have I totally imagined it? Basically I wanted to know if you guys think that a lot of (proper) house seems to be in both these keys.

Ps- no sniggering at the back there :-)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/28             27-Nov-02  @  02:32 PM   -   RE: The Key of House

Steve Webster

Thanks for the response Intox. Why do you think that I can't go wrong with A minor though?

Message 12/28             27-Nov-02  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: The Key of House

bedwyr

Link?: Link

a minor is relative minor of c - no sharps and flats? i dunno.

but yeah, records are at different speeds so having to pitch them changes the, erm, pitch.

all those ejay things are in the same key though i think. could even be a minor.

Message 13/28             27-Nov-02  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: The Key of House

IntoxicatingSounds

Sure you will alter the pitch to get things in time but if you've got two records at the same tempo that sound in tune you might think "these will go together well, I'll have a go at mixing them". If one of the records is in E flat or something odd you will have to alter the pitch to get it in tune then its going to be maybe 10 or 15 bpm faster so you're then looking to mix it with something very different. I'm not saying it's impossible but it would just put put a lot of people off. If you want djs to play your stuff make it easy for them. They're generally not very clever  

Deano

Message 14/28             28-Nov-02  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: The Key of House

BJT

House key - G Major 7th definetly.

Message 15/28             29-Nov-02  @  04:19 AM   -   RE: The Key of House

djjessex

lets not forget the brown note. the freq that makes us shit our pants...ew.

Message 16/28             29-Nov-02  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: The Key of House

Steve Webster

Nah, the G key sounds too Liberty X/ Christine Aguilera.

Message 17/28             30-Nov-02  @  05:57 PM   -   RE: The Key of House

Pongoid

What a thoroughly ludicrous question!!! Time and research will teach you that key has no bearing on the type of music, and applies more to intonation of instruments like horns. Ones that use a tempered tuning like synths, and pianos and stringed instruments, you will hear have a consistent harmonic series. Some synths will allow you to use relative intonation, and some another type of tuning called Hermetic, but the point of is to say that your question is just kinda silly. Any key will do, if you arrange the sharps and flats correctly when you play. Some are easier to play in, but sonicly, all of them work.

Ape

Message 18/28             03-Dec-02  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: The Key of House

BJT

LOL

Message 19/28             06-Dec-02  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: The Key of House

Steve Webster

But Pongoid, I heard you say in a recent thread that you like the key of D Minor ("a sad key" you said). Why did you say that if key has no relevance to making music? :-)

Message 20/28             06-Dec-02  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: The Key of House

errata

Of course the key has relevance... i think maybe what he's saying is that it's silly to suggest that a certain genre is best in a certain key. Ya know?

But then, it can be dangerous to suggest that you know what someone else is saying, eh?

e

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot