aaa Sonar4... talk about it, damnit - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 22-Sep-04  @  10:01 AM   -   Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

psylichon

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

god damnit it's quiet around here.... and with a product release announcement to boot!

To me, it sounds like they hit just the areas they needed to to stay on top, as usual. Group editing means I might be able to finally use all those discreet drums tracks I've stolen from clients for the past few years...

J/k.... or AM i.....???.....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/33             30-Sep-04  @  05:31 AM   -   RE: Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

roller8

Yes, they've added all the little things I used to love about Logic so much (clip muting, nudging, etc.)

I already ordered my copy and should have it by Friday! I'll be posting back on the resource usage and dropout occurrences (if any, I hope to report none).

Looks like they really did it this time.... can't wait! Oh, and the forums haven't been reporting any bugs yet so there probably isn't anything major to worry about. I normally never upgrade right away because I'm paranoid about bugs but I feel pretty good about this release.

Message 12/33             01-Oct-04  @  01:25 AM   -   RE: Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

k

if you have a 4:4 beat with a 4 on the floor kik will it make the 'clip' a full bars length now by default ? (rather than that way it does where it ends the clip boundary on the last beat within the bar)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/33             01-Oct-04  @  09:53 AM     Edit: 01-Oct-04  |  09:54 AM   -   RE: Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

psylichon

Link?: Link

jesus, k... you got some serious workflow hangups. just hit 'n' to snap to the grid and fuckin' drag out the clip already!!

or just use "move by" instead of "move to" and don't worry about clip end- or start-times at all... I can think of a bare few instances where you would actually need to use the latter.

Message 14/33             01-Oct-04  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

k

sure, but why if i'm working would i want to fuck about doing that for every bloody clip i create? - waste of time, they should have an option for it to VISUALY behave like EVERY other sequencer

when i'm zoomed out a bit, i dont want to be fucking about dragging a clip or group of clips to the right & the right-border stops at beat 3:48, and i'm supposed to visualy mess about trying to line up an imaginary border that actualy extends another 3/4 of a beat to the right

I know a regular SONAR user might think this is petty griping, but you cant persuade people to move to a different sequencer with glaring differences in such basic things as 'A bar length pattern actualy looks visualy to be a bar in length' !

a software that is professional should allows reasonable customisation to suite the usewrs preferences, and that is one thing that wouldnt require much to option surely?

I hate that half-assed 'a bar-length pattern block that isnt actualy a bar in length visualy' crap basicaly.. one of my few remaining gripes

what about an arrangepage grid? - is that in now even as an option on/off?... if not, again... what?

otherwise, sure, great s/w

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/33             01-Oct-04  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

L$8

Link?:  No link

You know, they changed the clip behaviour from Sonar 2 to Sonar 3 so that the clips would extend past the last note in the pattern. I never really understood the rationale for this and, being used to Sonar 2, hqave been constantly using the trim function to 'trim' the clip length down to the containing notes.
Well, I think they were trying to address the issue you're bringing up k . It might already be there in Sonar 3. Though I can't say if it extends the clips to the measure each time - the size of the clips you end up with actually seemed pretty random to me.

Message 16/33             01-Oct-04  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

k

dunno, since edirol took over distribution we stopped getting update review NFR's

Message 17/33             01-Oct-04  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

psylichon

how are you guys entering note data? step sequencing?

Message 18/33             01-Oct-04  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

k

yup - with a pencil tool

Message 19/33             04-Oct-04  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

craig

Web: none
Date: 01-oct-04 - 06:14 pm
File/Image?: no file added

how are you guys entering note data? step sequencing?

-------------------------

With an RM1X

Seriously though, I use Sonar mostly for arranging and recording, so I don't share most of these gripes..

Message 20/33             05-Oct-04  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: Sonar4... talk about it, damnit

k

ah, well, I've always maintained that Cakes problem is the emphasise too much marketting at people recoridng 'as with a multitrack' - fine, that's great, but dance/electonic/pattern-based users tend I think to come second in the design consideration process

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 33 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot