aaa tip and tricks for pro-mixes - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

23-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 22-Feb-02  @  09:09 PM   -   tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Brett

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

1) Insert a 2band eq or two in to the reverb chain to high and lowpass filter your reverbs. This cleans them up and they shimmer nicley.
2) #1 also works on delays
3)use a chorus/flanger as a splitter to make subrtactor synths have stereo out. select bypass. This will make #4 possible.
4)insert a delay into one channel of each stereo track. Alternate between delaying the left and right channels of all of your tracks, except the kick and bass, between 1-50ms. This will open up the mix and give new life and space to all your sounds. Works wonders on snares, pads, and hi-hats rolls giveing the last an auto pan effect you hear on Hybrid, Uberzone, etc. You may have two play with the wet dry mix on the drums. Solo out the track and get it right. Most synth parts work best 100% wet, but snares are trickier requiring 1-3ms, and %10-%50 wet.
5)to get thick unison synths , use 3-4 subtractors submixed to one mixer. Use two of the same osc on each subtractor. Sequence out your entire song, and then when you have the track with all filter tweaks done, copy the midi to the other two tracks, and copy the patch two the other two synths. If you make changes you will need to recopy the midi over and the patch over again.
6)Export some of your one hit sweeps and stabs. Load them into an editor like wavelab or soungeforge. reverse them, then load them back into an empry NN19 and assign them to a key. You can do this by hitting the file button at the top of the display window. Works great for creating reversed snares,hats, sweeps strings etc. I also loaded an 808 kick that I use for old school pitched kcik drum.
7)if yoiu have rebirth take advantage of loading those standard aiff files into a Redrum. They are locared in the propellorheads\modpacker\standard componants file. 909 kicks and hats never let me down.
8)For Sonar users,if you have a multi-channel sound card like a dspfactory, you can run Reason with Sonar. I use this for tracking vocals. You just select no audio in reason. launch Sonar, then select the directx driver in reason. Put those headphones on and set up you input buss to recieve audio from only the mic in and away you go, then load the vocals into a NN19 after they have been compressed using a waves RCL or other nice plug-in comp. You can sync reason to Sonar using Hubi's loopback virtual midi ports.

Goodluck. I will be posting up some very usfull subtractor patches in this thread. I encourage you to add your ideas and patches as well.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/42             17-Jul-02  @  03:24 AM     Edit: 17-Jul-02  |  03:24 AM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

influx

Link?: Link

You GO, bwah!

Message 22/42             17-Jul-02  @  01:51 PM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Soulfoolz

I tried the method you described but no signal was coming in from the compressor because the right outputs from the chorus should have been connected to the left inputs of the seperate mixer,as this is always the case with mono inputs,otherwise no signal is coming in the seperate mixer.so i switched them and now it works perfect and i guess that was what you meant.
anyway its a nice and usefull trick,thnx!

Message 23/42             18-Jul-02  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

knowa

Link?:  Link

see that's why I don't believe what they say about you. thanks brett.

Message 24/42             19-Jul-02  @  02:47 AM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

brett

Link?:  No link

always use left channels all the way through except the right out of the splitter(chorus) when using mono sounds. You could take the right out of the kick drum output, but if the sample is stereo it might not be ballanced properly so using the splitter from the mono out is best. It sounds pretty good in Reason. Rather than using a seperate mixer, it works on the bass and kick individually as well. You can do this with the snare and hats by using an aux send with a comp in it. Bring the rtn level in under the mix.

Message 25/42             19-Jul-02  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Soulfoolz

"Now send the left output of these chorus to the input of the main mixer. Disconnect the right channel if it auto connects it.

Connect the right output from these chorus to right input of a seperate mixer."

Is this right? because if it is lay it down for me....

Message 26/42             20-Jul-02  @  02:54 AM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Brett

wait , now I am confused.

the chorus is used as a splitter on by pass. so it should have the left input on it used, and the output of it will be left to main mixer, right channel to the left input of the seperate bass/kick group mixer. Then you pan the channel to the left and route the output of that group mixer into the left in on the main.

The reason I mention the diconnect the right channel is because when you connect the left output of a stereo device to the left in on a stereo device or mixer channle it auto connects the right. This will happen when you connect the lef tout of the chorus to the mixer. Disconnect the right, then reconnect it to the group mixer. If it makes more sense do the right channel first and this will not happen when you connect the left out of the chorus to the left in on the main mixer.

I hope that is clear. I'll post an .RNS with it routed for you to see.

Message 27/42             20-Jul-02  @  09:48 AM     Edit: 20-Jul-02  |  09:49 AM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Soulfoolz

I already got the picture the first time...but you said to connect the right out from the chorus to the right input of the sub-mixer...and i told you that it should have been left input of submixer...(check your post)and now you are saying the same thing so i guess this is settled then!No need to be confused as i corrected something what seems to be a typo....but a vital one ;).

Message 28/42             21-Jul-02  @  08:46 PM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Brett

sorry about that. Glad you understood what i meant. This works well on them individually as well without the use of the submixer for grouping.

Message 29/42             27-Jul-02  @  01:26 AM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

Brett

File?:  File

mult_demo.rns

for anyone wanting a look at what I was getting at, here is the rns to show the routing of a grouped mult. Play with it because the levels were set using my laptop speakers in my hotel room.

Message 30/42             30-Jul-02  @  10:46 AM   -   RE: tip and tricks for pro-mixes

BJT

Also, the compressor does side chain, in a method as follows.

Say you want to put a deep bongo (or BD) sound in the mix and make it sound big without muddying the whole mix. Put bongo through left side compressor, what goes through the right side of the compressor will be compressed by the bongos (or BD).

I'm not happy with the reverb. I've really tryed working on it and found the following. Eqing the middle out of the reverb makes it sound a great deal better, also I add an LFO (from subtractor) to the a parametric eq, to add some colour to the reverb. But that reverb sounds very digital and tinny. (I think it maybe proper reverb requires too much DSP and latency).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 42 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)