aaa Quantisation Theory - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Quantisation Theory

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 29-Oct-02  @  03:50 PM   -   Quantisation Theory

Mr Bash

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Is the bass supposed to mirror the drums?

As in if I quantise my drum track to 16b in logic, then do I quantise my bass to 16b?

Also I find that if I quantise my drums to 16b and then try a quantisation of say 16c/16d for the percussion, it sound messy and stilted!

Is every thing supposed to be on the same swing or not?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/47             13-Dec-02  @  01:55 AM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

influx

Link?:  Link

"RE: Quantisation Theory] - [unreg'd user]
Web: no weblink
Date: 12-dec-02 - 02:24 pm
File?: no file added
errata, what bpm are your tracks? Mine are always at 128 bpm"

always?

damn bro..now THAT would be BORING

Message 42/47             13-Dec-02  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

Steve Webster

Errata, I 'll look forward to hearing that mate. :-)

Xoxos, if you re-arrange and re-jig the word ACID, you get A DIC. :-)

Influx, sorry but I only have enough skills to make house. Sorry for being boring. I don't pretend to have the talent to make raw songs, broken beat, nu skool breaks or funk. :-)

Message 43/47             13-Dec-02  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

psylichon

Link?: Link

so house has to be 128 bpm? always? hmmm.. never knew that. must be EASY being a house DJ. You could glue down your pitch sliders!

psy

Message 44/47             13-Dec-02  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

xoxos

a- as in the latin prefix meaning from, away from, indicating opposition to  

you think i suck, you ought to look at 'normal' people from my perspectives!

Message 45/47             13-Dec-02  @  08:16 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

errata

xoxos on algebra... scene it in a few of the forums these past 48 hours. Much fun that, xoxos!

As I've said before... I'm a lazy bastard! Damn, sound forge only does MP3 at 64... still too high for good ol' DT... edited the track down to 3 and a half minutes, still too big for DT!

I will, when I get home, post a "snippet" over the weekend!

my apologies.

Yeah, house does pretty much stay i the 120's and most people like it in the upper 20's so give and take afe BPM 128 sounds right!

House is an art! It CAN be easy to do passable music when it's different and strange. But a great house track has to be dependable, simply and completely FANTASTIC... takes skills...

e

Message 46/47             01-Jan-03  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

djmojito

"Yeah, house does pretty much stay i the 120's and most people like it in the upper 20's so give and take afe BPM 128 sounds right!"

This is some pretty harsh pidgeonholing for a such a wide genre.

"House is an art! It CAN be easy to do passable music when it's different and strange. But a great house track has to be dependable, simply and completely FANTASTIC... takes skills... "

And that's only for house, yea. How about pop? Is pop art?

Message 47/47             02-Jan-03  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: Quantisation Theory

errata

I don't know if I agree. Aside from the tempo, it's hard to put a finger on what house is. There's a VAST library of reading on this site alone about genre stereotyping, and I'm not a fan of it... but I'm not a big fan of nouns at all... I still use them for communication. 128 does sound nice for house music (Obviously an opinion statement)... and when you go faster you start getting pretty "trancy"... it's all subjective...

Did I say anything about my comment being exclusive to house? We were talking about house so i made a comment about house... in contrast to strange, experimental music (which I think there's a mighty profusion of that is mediocre)... I think House is POP. And the same goes. I have a tremendous amount of respect for people that can make GOOD pop music... Paul Simon comes to mind... not always very clever and artistic but just DAMNED fine tunes!

Hmmm... Mozart, for that matter! Hehehe

PS: Thanks for picking my post apart. I'm always feel special when people pay me so much attention.

e

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 47 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot