aaa is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18             24-Jun-00  @  12:22 AM   -   is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

slow7

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i wanna get something to do some jungle with
i want something with drums and bass sound
what would be the best choice for a first time
user

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             24-Jun-00  @  04:45 AM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

host dood

Survey Says:
98% of dancetechers say to get a sampler.

Message 3/18             24-Jun-00  @  07:53 AM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

k

yup

Message 4/18             24-Jun-00  @  08:29 AM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

r-tek

err.....yeah. The mc303 at its now low 2nd hand price may b a good little box 4 learning the basics of techno or even house maybe, but 4 jungle, get a smapler.

Message 5/18             24-Jun-00  @  08:56 PM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

MoDasBlu

Link?: Link

The 303 is very very easy to use, teaches you about sequencers, and has some good drum sets. But, *alas*, to sound "real", you really ought to use a sampler.

Message 6/18             26-Jun-00  @  04:53 AM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

mc'303=pants

Message 7/18             26-Jun-00  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

0/d

try th Yamaha RM1x,the presets have about 20 decent sounding drum n bass tracks which sound good.The drum sounds are pretty good,it has a few jungle and drum n bass drum kits as well as acoustic,jazz,techno,acid etc.The basses are also very usable.It defenitly sounds better the mc303 and you'll find it much more usefull in the long term.

Message 8/18             27-Jun-00  @  09:25 AM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

ggehiere

I have an MC-303. I appreciate all it taught me about
writing and sequencing, but the most important lesson I
learned is this:

Any gear that claims to be good for all genres, isn't
very good for any genre.

I write trance, which is pretty far away from jungle,
but I should have bought something else. I suggest
saving up and buying good high-end gear. If you're
serious, anything less than the best, professional
gear, will be a waste of money and you'll regret it in
6 months time.

Also, the MC-303 does not work well when sequenced from
an external sequencer (such as a computer running Logic
or Cubase). On the plus side, it will act as a 16 part
instrument when used in sound module mode (as opposed
to 8 when in instrument mode), but to make any
resonance and cutoff changes, etc., you have to use
SysEx, which is a pain in the butt regardless of how
experienced you are, or become.

Down the road it does not play well with other gear (on
a technical level), and next to any REAL gear, or even
mediocre gear like the Korg Electribe series, the
MC-303 sounds really wimpy and weak.

Get a sampler and stack it with RAM. Get a good
sequencer. Then but a real synth. You can write some
kickass jungle with alot of little short samples.

Take my advice or leave it, but don't waste your time
with the MC-3

Message 9/18             27-Jun-00  @  10:44 AM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

k

generally that is true, but i have to say, i was working with fruity last night, after a session i'm mixing using loads of outboard... the outboard track is quite full and uses 3 or 4 external synths, plus samples & drumbox sounds, plus hardware outboard mix... BUT, the fruity track (using that dma dx plug tp filter the drum-loop) is STORMINGLY GOOD !!... it just sounds right, BUT, i couldnt do what i did with the outboard mix... so it is a different sound/genre.. BUT JUST AS PRESSABLE..., so perhaps also do what you CAN with what you have - dont underestimate that fruity... also i know people working with a named respected label doing stuff using just audio parts & loops and the audio tracks of vst.... they dont even use midi for those tracks... do what you can i reckon... but i'd say that fruity is just as powerful if not MORE powerful than an mc303... i'll post some of the track so you can hear it...

Message 10/18             28-Jun-00  @  09:36 AM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

H

Find a used MPC 2000.It's a sampler,drum machine and a seq. all in one.

Message 11/18             29-Jun-00  @  05:54 AM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

Pongoid

For less, find an ASQ10 and an ASR10. that's a good sequencer and and a good sampler, and those pieces WILL let you make whatever you want, and have it sound good.

Ape

Message 12/18             29-Jun-00  @  12:05 PM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

ggehiere

I know someone with an ASR-10.. it's pretty old,
Pongoid, though I realize that lots of people still use
it, and look for them. It does certainly has some nice
filters, and others available for a price (like Q and
resonance), but it doens't have/ won't support alot of
RAM (30 pin RAM is hard to find, too, I should know),
and unless it has the expensive SCSI card add-on, only
has a useless floppy.

Some poeple use it, probably because they've been using
for years and have banks and so faorth that they can't
live without.

Just my opinion... it does sound great and it very
versatile.

It's built-in sequencer is real-time only, and
therefo

Message 13/18             29-Jun-00  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

befluid

MC-303 is not that bad, I made this track 2 years ago with only a mc-303 and one line of Rebirth's 303.
It was a lot of fun!

(click on the link to listen to the track)

Message 14/18             29-Jun-00  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

befluid

bah... sorry the link above doesnt work,
just go to the new one, and download the track called "belly Pilot".
it's all done with a groovebox and rebirth, blah-blah-blah...

Message 15/18             12-Jul-00  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

deltasleep

fruityloops blows the pants of off an MC303. But really....how much do you need? if the beatles can record a hit album on a rooftop in the wind, you ought to survive with a drum machine and a computer.....

Message 16/18             12-Jul-00  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

k

well he needs a sequencer, and is his pc gonna run tite and what about playing out?.. so a sequencer and a cheap sampler and one synth which accepts patch changes and has storage for sounds for a set - sorted.. oh, and a mixer and delay and reverb - so first you gotta decide, s/w or hardware sequencer...

well, if youve a soundcard with a synth in it you can try the 'demo's' and see if they run ok and even add some loops into the audio tracks... but sequencer is a tuff one cos still the manufacturers dont bring out any like they used to ...

why the hell cant someone make a sequencer with a disk drive, 16 mute buttons and loads midifiles from dos disks is beyond me.. it would sell absolutely shitloads.. perhaps we sould design one and market it... raise the capital etc... my old man can make all the case castings etc ready for vacuum forming or whatever process of moulding, so we'd need someone to design the board & os etc etc...

what about it peeps ?... the 'dancetech live playback sequencer' ideal for live gigs and super tite clock for mixing down - yeah !!!.... i'd want it in a thick plastic tablet case with rubber feet and made of some type of non-brittle plastic like a padded shell available in: camoflage, glow in dark, fluro orange or Fluro green, white, or yellow - a good scribble-strip for marking channels, led's for channel mute-button and activity led... plus 3, 4 or 6 assignable controllers on each strip... and a volume fader, plus a fader 'lock' button, and pan luverlee jubbleeee... plus a 'filter out controller data' switch for each channel so you can override controller moves on a track and go manual.

Message 17/18             12-Jul-00  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

jojo the dog faced boy

i like it ... classy cool and yet so easy to use

I KNOW.....!!!

how bout this ....
get your self a phat boy controller right ...
AND a P-mix controller....
Youve never heard of a p-mix controller?
it's a live controller for mixman.

ok get this ..
i'm told that logic audio has a fuction (touch something) that enable you to mute tracks on the fly for you keyboard...
i dont' know which keyboard so lets assume your computer keyboard
the p-mix is just a glorified computer keyboard, with big arcade style buttons and no problem with locked keys ever...
so if the logic audio timing is tight... then mute/unmute your midi tracks with the p-mix and fuck with them on the phat boy ...

ohh you wanted hardware ...shit
well that shot my ballon down..
but that's not a bad idea that.

Message 18/18             05-Aug-15  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: is the roland MC 303 groovebox easy to use?

usaemkt2

MC-30 and ASR-10 old, but better than other. you can make any kind of track with that. That will work best. Try them

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot