aaa How do I create a good jungle kick? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: How do I create a good jungle kick?

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17             16-Jan-01  @  12:59 PM   -   How do I create a good jungle kick?

prototype_shb

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I want a tight, punchy, hard hitting kick. How do I get that sound??? I have tried compression, having a high pitch, and a few other methods, nothing is giving me that punch that I want. Artists for refrence? um, any jungle songs with really sparatic beats; I can only hope that you can imagine the sound I'm going for.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             16-Jan-01  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

Stasis

Link?:  No link

Try thinking about the aspects of the kick that you want that make it punchy. Basically for a good jungle kick you want something with a punch and just a little bass since you don't want it muddling up your bassline. Do what I do is I take a trebly clicky kind of kick and low end bassy kick and combine them. Adjust the levels of each so you get the correct overall volume. If its still not punchy enough for you, add another kick and adjuct the levels. When you have a sound that sounds pretty decent to you, sample it, or export as a wav or whatever you have to do to get it into your wave editor. Touch up with eq's a little if you want, then compress that shit. I use 3:1. There you go! Thats the secret to making any kind of kick you could ever want, just learn what works. Use stomper definitely. I shape kicks with it to use in the process I described. Then you have total control. You could also sample some kicks you liked of a cd or vinyl and experiment with that. Hope this helped, didn't mean to write a book.

Message 3/17             18-Jan-01  @  01:51 AM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

k

make it work with the bass

Message 4/17             20-Jan-01  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

prototype

thanks stasis! that 3:1 ratio really helped out!

Message 5/17             21-Jan-01  @  05:24 AM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

0/d

compreesion and eq,find the frequency where the kick you want is punching and take some time to eq it,then compress to shit so the eq can flaten out a bit.

Message 6/17             21-Jan-01  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

kef

experiment with the compressor's attack times. that could really make a difference

Message 7/17             21-Jan-01  @  05:55 PM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

Prototype

Thats where I get kinda stuck. I'm not too good at compression, I have an internal compressor/limmiter, but i can mess with it for hours and not be able to tell a diffrence! One thing that ive found is that it is best to make a HUGE bass drum, that is killing the speakers and then compress it, not the other way around.

The parameters i have to edit are.....threshold, ratio, attack, release, and output.

I don't understand Threshold, ratio, attack, and release. Output .. I think i got the hang of.... ;) baby steps right...

So anyway in the perfect world I could eq this kit, compress it, and plug it straight into the pc and rock it out. But something tells me that i need to compress, eq and re-compress over and over untill i get the desired effect. is this true or could one go around with the limiter do it?

btw. whats the diffrence between a compressor and a limiter?

UGH! I feel so far behind.

thank you so much for your help.
Prototype

Message 8/17             14-Nov-02  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

citizen_s

you need some software my man.   i would mos def recommend sound forge (i know youve heard of it). it makes life sooooooo much easier. no joke. you can actually adjust the compression using an envelope graph! which basically means you can compress certain parts of the wave. add reverb, adjust the noise gate, and when you do the 3:1 ratio with your kick waves you can adjust the db levels to you liking. i love hardware. i love the hands on capability but for drum sounds your best bet, in my humble opinion, is to use yer pc and some editing software! youll see what i mean if you try it. youll never go back to a drum machine again.

Message 9/17             15-Nov-02  @  02:35 AM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

JX3P0

unless of course you drop your edited wave in
an MPC.

H- then you'll keep coming back,over,and
over,and over.......

Message 10/17             15-Nov-02  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

Steve Roughley

File?:  File

DnB7.mp3

I noticed your post about Jungle bass as well. So I think you are after something like an Electribe EM1! This thing is designed for Jungle/Drum n Bass, if not anything else. I've explained this little tool in a few posts already, so I've just included a few demo patterns in the above link. All the patterns (drums, pads, bass, and the sequencing, effects, etc, etc) were done entirely on the Korg EM1.

Regards.

Steve.

Message 11/17             05-Dec-02  @  05:43 PM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

Terry Dactile

Here's a solution, it's a bit costly but worth it....
Fly out to Brazil and head for the Amazon jungle. Upon arrival climb a tall tree and using the nearest available strand of vegetation (ensure it's over 40ft long to ensure maximise swing) launch yourself off 'Tarzon stylee' towards a similar sized tree. At this point nominate a foot to go on ahead of the other and kick into the air. Remember I can't be held responsible if local wildlife or mammal happen are on the receiving end, in which case if it's a gorilla then I hope your next of kin have taken out life insurance.

Message 12/17             09-Dec-02  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

BJT

The EM1 has amen break samples in it, cool.

Message 13/17             17-Dec-02  @  11:11 AM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

k

you could try mailing kicks/patterns and then adding some fx and verb etc to get your loop and then cut that loop into bits & use the individual drum sounds.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 14/17             06-Jan-03  @  02:56 AM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

horizens

stomper. plain and simple. deep program though it
looks simple. any sorta electronic kicks you want. free.

Message 15/17             06-Jan-03  @  08:32 AM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

Influx

yeah but most jungle kicks...newer...arent thumpy really. more of a click/pop...

heh...try sampling some speed metal kicks. slayer?

Message 16/17             07-Jan-03  @  04:25 AM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

digital_rust

stomper can do those too though.

or just find some acoustic samples of kiks. all over the
internet.

Message 17/17             07-Jan-03  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: How do I create a good jungle kick?

k

anyone using the kikdrum ensemble in REAKTOR3? - pretty damned good!!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot