aaa what chipset for trance? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: what chipset for trance?

Viewing all 39 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/39             04-Jul-02  @  04:12 PM   -   what chipset for trance?

milan

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

ok, i´m almost ready to get out of stone ages and get a new pc...

so... i have an Echo Gina20 soundcard. would something like ASUS A7V333 and Athlon xp be ok, or is this a no-no because of Via KT chipset? Echo site says KT133 is ok, but this is a KT333 and i have no idea really... i actually hate pc´s, so please clue me in.

muchos gracias, M.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/39             04-Jul-02  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

bump :P

Message 3/39             04-Jul-02  @  06:20 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

Link?:  Link

well... hard to say, but bandwidth speeds for 2700 ram would be well worth it not to mention 166 bus/ata, if it all worked.. I cant see any reason why it'd NOT, but.... you know the old pc adage about waiting.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/39             04-Jul-02  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

mind you, I too am building soon ... shall I take a risk on it too?...   - I'm VERY tempted at around 200 quid for a ram/board.cpu package  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/39             04-Jul-02  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

xoxos

you guys are kidding. my 1.2g has plenty of headroom. 24 tracks of vsti and fx usually puts me around 50, 60%

Message 6/39             04-Jul-02  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

hm. i think i´m sold on that EPox 8KHA+ thingy... well see. looks plenty stable and cheap to boot.

Message 7/39             05-Jul-02  @  01:57 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

he's right of course, it's silly stuff, my kid makes great musc on his duron and get tons of tracks and plugins & no pops & crackles.

Message 8/39             05-Jul-02  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

influx

8kha+ and XP1700+ here. 512mb PC2100

SO fucking fast. I am amazed every time I do anything with it!

running 24+ tracks right now and its not even touching (less than 10%) the disk or CPU.

Message 9/39             05-Jul-02  @  10:56 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

what soundcard, herr influx? i thought _that_ would be the deciding factor?

Message 10/39             05-Jul-02  @  11:28 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Si

To be honest, if I was building a machine from scratch again I'd go Intel. Their processors, like the 2.0a can be over-clocked to like 2.6 with the standard heatsink. It's also priced around the same if not less than the equivelant AMD processor.

If you were to go Intel, you could have a much quieter machine because they (Northwoods) run so much cooler. You don't need case fans, only the CPU fan, and even the stock fan is very silent.

I've got a 1.4 Athlon and it pisses me off with the amount of noise it generates. I tried to compromise between noise and temperature but it's not very easy with AMD. Currently I'm running at nearly 60 celcius all the time, which is quite high. I could turn the fans to full, but that'd make way too much noise.

If you have to go AMD, don't bother with the 333 bus speeds, as the performance increase is negligable compared to the extra cost. Get a good 266 board with some 2100 memory (all of it would be very cheap now) and you'll be flying.

Si.

Message 11/39             05-Jul-02  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

too late now... EPOX should be here by monday if all goes well. fingers crossed everyone, please  

now... if this doesnt work as expected, i´m selling everything and learning to play acoustic guitar :P

Message 12/39             05-Jul-02  @  12:14 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

oh, and, any reason NOT to get cheaper XP 1700 and more ram, as opposed to faster cpu and less ram?

please, i gotta get this one right :-/

Message 13/39             05-Jul-02  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

99devils

Not really. All you're buying yourself is a couple months extra usage before your PC is ready for the bin.

-Craig

Message 14/39             05-Jul-02  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

yeah, i thought so too. tnx for reassurance, craig  

Message 15/39             05-Jul-02  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

99devils

It's really all about maximum power per dollar (or pound, franc, yen, whatever). I mean, if money was no object, you'd be buying a new box every 2 months anyways, right?

I always buy at least 1 step slower CPU than maximum, because you generally get the best break on price there. Plus, you have the advantage of having equipment that's been real world tested, to some degree. You aren't the guinea pig.

My 2 cents anyways.

-Craig

Message 16/39             05-Jul-02  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

influx

Korg Oasys

on the way out though cuz its just not getting used. Gonna get an RME digi 96/8 pst

Message 17/39             06-Jul-02  @  10:56 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Mindspawn

Craig's advice is excellent, IMO. I've been building machines that are "just under the current max" for over 10 years and it's worked well for me and those I've built them for. No sense in paying through the nose for a few clock cycles that'll be half the price in a few months...

Influx, let me kinow how you like the RME as I'm thinkin' of goin' that route on my next build (which should be fairly soon...).

Peace

Message 18/39             07-Jul-02  @  11:10 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

ok, another Q for anyone who can be bothered to answer:

have you had to use IRQ routing software to fix soundcard problems, and more importantly does it work? and is it complicated to do?

i know i´m being quite anal here, but after having problems for ages i guess you understand why i´m so picky about the whole thing.

tnx all, M.

Message 19/39             09-Jul-02  @  10:27 PM     Edit: 09-Jul-02  |  10:27 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

okay.....

after a long night of installing, reinstalling, asigning and reasigning irq´s and else, and o/c installing the software the whole day long, i can now say that MY NEW PC WORKS! yippie!  

epox 8kha+, xp1700, echo gina... all working in harmony. thanks to all the tips here on DT, i might not have to start learning acoustic guitar after all ;)

cheers, M.

Message 20/39             11-Jul-02  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

Link?:  No link

you got the same spec box as Influx now then?..

Message 21/39             11-Jul-02  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

hmm... looks like it   i basicaly wanted a box which was tested by as many as possible, because i didnt want to risk having problems. and since marc dark, influx and others are all very happy with epox, i thought why not do the same. and it was the right decision, apparently...

cheers, M.

Message 22/39             03-Aug-02  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

nEuroTEK

Link?:  No link

i hope you dont think you are just going to be able to buy a pc and be able to magic the trance sound out of a hat it shouldnt matter anyway what pc you have you could make trance on an atari st it only matters what sounds and synths you own unless of course your into soft synths which i disagree with anyway but thats another story

Message 23/39             03-Aug-02  @  11:50 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

influx

it was a joke, late comer

hey milan..so...still good?

I havent had any IRQ probs yet

and Mindspawn..using the RME quite effectively now, super low latency etc, but I havent quite figgered out how to monitor midi through when Im trying to play...you know..THROUGH the soundcard...

but other than that..>SUPER quick install, and not a single problem yet.

got it for $200, too! 

Message 24/39             03-Aug-02  @  11:51 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

damballah

oh yeah! wanna fight about that?

Message 25/39             03-Aug-02  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

damballah

oops, not you, influx, the guy before you.

Message 26/39             03-Aug-02  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Breakerbox

buying biggest, baddest, fastest pc componenets always cause problems.. I have been doing thesame thing you guys are doing... I probably get the thr 2nd or 3rd cpu i can get.. but for motherboard i get the on thats the most stable... You really dont see too much difference between the cpu speed increase unless the speed is doubled... My 800 mhz duron sucks a big one right now.

Message 27/39             04-Aug-02  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

Influx: its all good. a feeling similar to flying a glider i imagine  

seriously, everything works sweet. i have now had a fully set-up system for a while, and havent had any problems whatsoever. i did dedicate one whole night on seting up irq´s and stuff in bios when i was installing it though.

yet again, many thanks to the first dancetecher who discovered the epox  

cheers, M.

Message 28/39             04-Aug-02  @  11:07 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Mindspawn

Hey Influx, got any more at that price...?

Message 29/39             05-Aug-02  @  12:22 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

influx

heh. funny but Ive seen about 3 in that range (up to $250) and I let them all go, then finally when I decided for sure i got mine for $250

theres one at ebay right now went up to $300+....sometimes I get lucky

if I do see one I will certainly pass it your way!

Message 30/39             05-Aug-02  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Mindspawn

Danke, Herr Influx. I'll start watchin' ebay for 'em mesef....

Message 31/39             14-Jan-07  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

effin bloody hell!!!! i just stumbled onto this... you know what this means!?

it means that my pc is almost 5 years old

suppose its about the time i upgraded eh?

might just go for a laptop this time... how fast are they nowadays? intel core duo? i'm still running prehistoric software mostly and none of those huge sample libraries and stuff.

Message 32/39             14-Jan-07  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

mac u mean?.. the Core 2 Duo's yes r the way to go MAC or PC

Message 33/39             15-Jan-07  @  08:35 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Moujik

My laptop is a couple of years old now, 1.8Ghz Pentium M with 512 Mb RAM.... still does everything I need & got no plans to uprade within the next year or so.

Anyway, you can get a core duo laptop for £600 and I imagine that would be plenty fast enough.

Message 34/39             15-Jan-07  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

k

i was round at a mates place yesterday, and he'd won a macbook in a competition!.. jammy or what!

that 1.8 M should do you ok tho, mebbe you dont need to upgrade... not just for the sake of it anyways, we still do all the film stuff on an old amd 2000xp

Message 35/39             15-Jan-07  @  11:11 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Moujik

I was quite tempted to get a Macbook until I realised none of my software "cross-grades" to Mac included UB versions

Anyway, like you said the old 1.8 still does the job (and my girlfriend would kill me if I bought another computer...

Message 36/39             15-Jan-07  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

no no... no macs! i'm thinking normal pc, either desktop or a lappie... i have a 1.5ghz (1700xp) athlon so i guess anything recent should be a big improvement. about 30% more power would make me happy i think.

anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts  

Message 37/39             15-Feb-07  @  11:17 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

so the deed is done...

for the first time in my life i bought a bog-standard off the shelf pc, after a lenghty chat with the salesman to find out all i could about the components used, of course  

-core2duo E6300 (1,86ghz)
-Intel mobo
-1gb RAM @ 533mhz
-250gb SATA Seagate Barracuda

-my old Edirol FA-101 firewire interface

happy to say it runs like a motherf...ker! logic tunes i could barely start on my old machine now use about 22-25% of CPU, and thats running at the lowest buffer setting, which is 104 samples!!! that should give me about 5ms latency for thru-the-box monitoring for f's sake!!! :D

oh yeah, its also quieter than my old machine!

ok, i'll say no more but i'm pretty blown away by this, and very very happy

Message 38/39             15-Feb-07  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

Moujik

How much did that cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

Message 39/39             15-Feb-07  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: what chipset for trance?

milan

800 euros. i could have gotten a 750E one, but the dealer told me to get this one as it has a better power supply (for the "gaming" video card which i wont be using anyway) so it'll run more quietly.

mind you, these are all bog-standard components and you could have a better combo for the same money if you're prepared to build. i just decided to go for this one once i was convinced it will fulfill my needs. that and the fact that i realized i know nothing anymore about how pc's work nowadays.

Viewing all 39 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 39 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)