aaa 7th and 9th chords... - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: 7th and 9th chords...

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             23-Sep-02  @  04:54 AM   -   7th and 9th chords...

JJ Freqay

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm at a point where I now know all the major scales and their relative minor scales. I also know all the chords in each scale.

I can create some pretty good chord progressions for my tracks as well as nice riffs using the theory I've learned. What's bothering me is that I'm stuck on how, where, when , and how to get out of 7th and 9th chords!!!

I know that there is a way besides winging it by ear, but I'm not familiar with the method on how to do it the proper way . Can someone please explain to me how to use these in a song. I really like the sound that these types of chords create, but I get stuck once I start using them.

All I know is that the V7 always "pulls" back to the I in the major scale. That's about it!:P Thank you for your time.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             29-Sep-02  @  01:59 PM   -   RE: 7th and 9th chords...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Sorry for the late reply. I would have gotten to this sooner but I had to dig out my old Music-School notes. This is kind of lost on me now as I haven't done any music theory for about 3 years. But here goes. To break out of the chords using the 'classical', or 'standard' moves, you need to either resolve by going back to the Tonic chord, or you can use false cadence to take you back to the 2nd (I.e. Lower: G back to C, Upper: A back to G). You can move to another chord from there. I know this is a bit vague, but it is all that I can remember accuartely. Though if you need any more help with this I'll do my best.

Regards.

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot