aaa Weird Tips Need Explaining - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Weird Tips Need Explaining

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             03-Oct-02  @  04:37 PM   -   Weird Tips Need Explaining

Drop

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

On A Ragga Tip

Another way to squeeze the last bit of life out of a dying rhythm is to change the playing length and sample trigger positions from the normal start of the bar. This is a technique much favoured by breakbeat and jungle techno groups like SL2 and The Prodigy, and works best at fairly fast BPMs. Play your breakbeat on lines 0 and 32, and adjust the tempo so that the rhythms trigger in time, with no glitches. Now trigger the sample on the following lines: 0,6,16,26,32,42,48 and 54. When you play this back, you'll have a rhythm track that sort of rolls around the beat - perfect for just adding a baseline and calling it your finished song!
For a brutal stereo version of this, try playing the same sample on a different track (on the opposite stereo channel) on the following lines: 0, 10,16,22,32,38,48, and 58. You might even go the whole hog and combine this with the stereo phasing effect.

Indian Drum Scales

The Zen of Tracking Advanced Tips and Tricks
Indian Food for Thought
You can get a very Indian-sounding "24-tone" scale in Impulse Tracker by using this technique: (FT2 users will have to accomplish the same thing via the "tone" setting)

Load your sample twice. Look at the second one, and write down the sample rate. Multiply that number by 1.0304 and put the result in the "playback rate" field of the first sample. Now you have a consonant tone in the second sample and a semitone above that in the first. By playing the second at C-5 then the first at C-5 then the second at C#5 then the first at C#5 (and so on), you get a semi-tone chromatic, which is pretty weird. If you're really bold, you might get some cool Indian sounding stuff going out of it. Good luck tracking it, though. It's a whole new set of musical theory.

Not totally sure what these both mean. Anyone fancy discussing?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             03-Oct-02  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: Weird Tips Need Explaining

k

Link?:  Link

the first one is the same as the old vary the sampler start time and also the trigger note position - old one, but what the hell they mean by.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5             03-Oct-02  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: Weird Tips Need Explaining

k

sorry - in full:

the first one is the same as the old 'vary the sampler start time and also the trigger note position' you'd do on old samplers & midi only sequencer setups - it's an old one but classic, but what the hell they mean by mving the notes 0,6,16,26,32,42,48 and 54

what do those numbers relate to?

Message 4/5             25-Oct-02  @  06:13 AM   -   RE: Weird Tips Need Explaining

gs

I'd guess they'd be line numbers in a tracker (like Buzz, FastTracker, that stuff)... as there is mention of "The Zen of Tracking" which I think is a website somewhere.

1 line would usually be 1 16th I think, generally 64 "lines" per pattern or something...

Message 5/5             25-Oct-02  @  01:34 PM   -   RE: Weird Tips Need Explaining

k

Link?:  Link

oh right, the best way is to simply grab the sampler start time control and mess with while you listen until you get a cool alternative loop start, then trim off the length, and move on to the next start time and do it again etc etc etc.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot