aaa Programming lively breakbeats - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Programming lively breakbeats

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             25-Oct-02  @  05:11 PM   -   Programming lively breakbeats

odin

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,
The following quote is taken from a famous magazine's website, but they don't have the screenshots available on the website. I'm trying to figure out what they're talking about here. Could someone fill in one of the drumbox sheets to help me out a bit?

"The most common type of big beat groove is a 'kick-snare-shufflybit-snare' sort of thing, two examples of which you can see in these screenshots. These patterns benefit from 'shuffle' or 'swing' groove quantising which adds a little bounce. Both lead off with a kick on beat 1 and a snare on beats 2 and 4; fairly standard stuff. It's on and around beat 3 that the shuffly bit comes in to add a little grooviness.

On pattern one you can see that there is a double kick drum, just before and after beat 3, and the cowbell doubles up with the second kick of each pair which adds to the shuffly feel. Only the open hat actually plays on beat 3. The open hat is an important part of the big beat style, and is used in much the same way that it is in hip hop. Placing it before any of the main kick or snare beats adds an offbeat feel to the track, while placing it on them adds impact.

A similar effect is achieved by the short crash cymbal in the second half of beat 4 which, along with the final kick just before the end of the bar, rolls the beat back round to the beginning. The shaker loop in the background adds a sloppy 'human' feel to the loops which your ear latches on to. Because it is retriggered every two beats, the slightly dodgy playing doesn't distract from the rhythm but adds a loose feel to the beat.

The second pattern has a much busier feel, and opens with a double kick which is repeated on beat 3. The shuffly bit is achieved by alternating the kicks with a snare but this time, one of the kicks lands on beat 3 to keep the rhythm driving along. The hats are now playing both on and off the beat, and doubling up on the shuffle to add extra pace, while the open hats before beats 2 and 4 both add impact to the snares which follow them."

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             25-Oct-02  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: Programming lively breakbeats

milan

Link?: Link

BEATS 1 0 0 0  |  2 0 0 0  |  3 0 0 0  |  4 0 0 0
kick 1 0 0 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  0 0 0 0
alt kick 0 0 0 0  |  0 0 0 1  |  0 1 0 0  |  0 0 0 1
snare 0 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0
oh 0 0 1 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  0 0 1 0
cb 0 0 0 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  0 1 0 0  |  0 0 0 0

hehe... would it be FM by any chance?

ok, there´s the beat they were talking about, more or less.

but man, if you listen to any big beat music you should know the answer to all this, thas the most standard pattern used in everything from hiphop to garage to dnb. those two hits in the middle are your shuffly bit, and that kick at the last 1/16th is what they meant for the second bar. dont tell me you dont know it. now go listen to some early chem. brothers or fatboy slim or something.

cheers, m.

Message 3/8             25-Oct-02  @  06:23 PM   -   RE: Programming lively breakbeats

k

Link?:  Link

yeah, i dont have time now, tomorrow I can add some stuff, the shuffling shit requires a higher res' grid than this basic one so some added screenshots will help.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/8             25-Oct-02  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: Programming lively breakbeats

milan

nah, its cool. i dont want to be clicking on a 1/192 resolution grid, imagine how huge that would be!

Message 5/8             28-Oct-02  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: Programming lively breakbeats

odin

Ah, yes. That does sound familiar. I was just having trouble visualizing it. Thanks for the help!

Message 6/8             29-Oct-02  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: Programming lively breakbeats

milan

glad i could help.

Message 7/8             29-Oct-02  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: Programming lively breakbeats

Mr Bash

Try this. Boom, tish, boom, boom, tish.

Message 8/8             03-Nov-02  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: Programming lively breakbeats

djjessex

chop it up in recycle man!

or if ya want to be totally original, slice up each hit individually and sequance your own rythym on your sampler. the shuffly bits are the creative part:

boom, pah, cheeky cheeky , boom , pah
that is:
kick, snare, hats, kick, snare

shit i dont know, just make a groove, and rub some funk on it

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)