aaa My Degree in music_-getting a job.. - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: My Degree in music_-getting a job..

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             12-Mar-03  @  10:50 AM   -   My Degree in music_-getting a job..

JJ Freqy

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I live in Texas and I'll be attending a university here pretty soon. Music is where my heart is and I just recently received my application for admission from the university.

Here's the thing, I work in medical now as a EMT/tech in an ER making pretty good money. I really don't want to work in anything else except music. My question is- what can I do to work in a music field and make a living? Oh, I don't really want to be a music teacher either.

I enjoy composing music, audio engineering, music theory, piano playing, but I'm not really trained in any of these subjects too well yet. The choices on the application for my BA are:

1) BA of music degree in performance: traditional emphasis or jazz emphasis.

2) BA of music degree in music theory

3) BA of music degree in composition: traditional comp or jazz comp

4) BA of music degree in music studies: choral or instrumental(leads to teacher certificate)

5) BA of arts degree in music (a broad liberal arts degreew/ emphasis in music)

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

JJ

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             12-Mar-03  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: My Degree in music_-getting a job..

k

frankly?.. none of the above

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9             12-Mar-03  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: My Degree in music_-getting a job..

bedwyr

Link?: Link

if i was you i'd do a music degree geared towards film composing, one with a good technical element and lots of multimedia involvement, that way you can learn about traditional composition and arrangement as well as having a route towards employment.

although, you can always do it as a masters after a normal music degree.

out of the one's you listed, i'd be more inclined towards the compositional one.

Message 4/9             13-Mar-03  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: My Degree in music_-getting a job..

d

Link?:  No link

move to austin and start another emo band

Message 5/9             13-Mar-03  @  10:41 AM   -   RE: My Degree in music_-getting a job..

k

mate - you gotta DEFINE.... define what you REALLY want to do career wise - Although 'happy-accidents' do happen along the way which may lead you off in other directions to a rewarding career, but.... what DO you really want to do?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/9             13-Mar-03  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: My Degree in music_-getting a job..

psylichon

Not to be discouraging, but I knew a lot of people at Berklee who were unfocused in their musical career, not really sure of what words on their degree would make them the most money. They usually ended up being there 6 years (like my roommate and best man, hehehe) or dropping out because it was wicked expensive. The ones who followed their bliss found success.

What gets you off most about music? Writing it? Recording it? Performing it? Whatever your answer is, that's your best bet. From the looks of your choices, it seems as if they don't do the recording part much, but I'm sure there are other schools in Texas that do.

Just don't go into it looking for money, and it will work out. Trust me, it did for me, and I'm about the most unambitious person in the world. But I've always known that I love the technical side of music, so I've always focused on music and tech, computers and music, and I've always been happy even when not working!

psy

Message 7/9             13-Mar-03  @  10:55 AM   -   RE: My Degree in music_-getting a job..

psylichon

oh and the nice thing about music is that it doesn't have to be a day job. a solid education can net you the work to make some nice off-hour bucks, or even just develop yourself as a writer/artist/producer/performer in your spare time so a few years down the road you land that fat recording contract. ya know?  

Message 8/9             13-Mar-03  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: My Degree in music_-getting a job..

JJ Freqy

Thanks for the responses! Here's the thing- I don't have to pay for college. I can go to ANY university that I want to in Texas and it's payed for up to six years. I already have my AA. Maybe that changes things a little now.

About the question, what I should have asked was: I love music and I love theory and compostion the most. What can I do to get a enough money to make a living while doing what I love. I wasn't looking to get rich or anything, but I don't want to be a broke bastard either.

Money isn't everything, but it sure as hell helps  Thanks again.

JJ

Message 9/9             13-Mar-03  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: My Degree in music_-getting a job..

psylichon

I hear ya. Prolly easiest career route for a composer is to do commercials and jingles. Easier to get your foot in the door and can lead to other things before ya know it. Also if you self-produce and do all the music, the money can be VERY nice when you get a big spot.

psy

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)