aaa SX 2 who's got it? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: SX 2 who's got it?

Viewing all 56 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/56             27-Nov-03  @  01:12 PM   -   SX 2 who's got it?

k

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hmmmm very nice

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/56             27-Nov-03  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

k

Link?: Link

wow! - this has to be the best Cubase ever!... Not withstanding bugs to be discovered that is

The FREEZE facility works great, and it's interesting that it doesnt create a new track/part like bounce does

and the jog-wheel!!... heh heh - excellent!

I wonder how SONAR3 fares compared to this.

I imported a few old SX projects and they seem to load fine!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/56             27-Nov-03  @  01:30 PM     Edit: 27-Nov-03  |  01:32 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

k

also LOVE the new protocol for SEND fx where they are treated as a channel on the arrange page - excellent!!

and it's not heavey in use either - it's chugging away fine playing some audio & midi tracks & fx on an athlon 1200 with a couple of browsers open on the www via a LAN connection just fine at 10%

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/56             27-Nov-03  @  02:07 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

dARKSTATe

Ask R.A.T, k, he's been using it for a bit....

I know that there's already a 2.0.1 patch update for it, have you applied that?

And as for the jog wheel, whaddya mean? As in Jogwheel functionality with existing "jog/shuttle" controllers like the shuttle pro etc.? Coz I know there was jog/scrub in SX1, but it didn't work with much else other than the mouse

Message 5/56             27-Nov-03  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

k

well i never followed SX1 much beyond checking-out early releases - it was a HUGE improvement on VST tho...... But SX2 is in a world of it's own!.... - more like a pro- video application but tastier to look at than any pro-video app's i've seen...

the jog-wheel is like on a video app' - a wheel with inner and outer wheels and a + / - button in the midde to forward by whatever - I assume although haven't tried it that if one is working by video it will forward by frames - hope so

I'm in love anyways - this is SUPERB! - it's just so perfect... I might come back into the cubase fold to be honest... unless SONAR3.... waiting for NFR...

Message 6/56             27-Nov-03  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

k

phwoooar! - Just imported some video we're working on - the video bit works great...

Message 7/56             27-Nov-03  @  11:44 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

milan

aha? well thats bloody interesting. mebbe i'll īcheck it out then...

Message 8/56             28-Nov-03  @  12:52 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

m

Yep I agree, its different than all the previous versions of vst and sx, everything just feels right and works right. no dissapearing windows (arrange stays maximized allways) right click toolbox is back, customizable colour scheme, but to name a few major annoyances of the entire last decade. of course under the hood there is a sh1tload more improvements.

its actualy left me wondering what more is possible in a sequencer it seems perfect in every detail so far. Except...

The expand panel buttons in the inspector are TINY little '+' signs, lucky my eyesight is good.

Well not much to complain about i know but theres always got to be something for us spoilt sods eh?

take care, m

Message 9/56             28-Nov-03  @  02:46 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

k

question - how the hell do you now SET TEMPO TO OBJECT - like you set a loop of audio or a audio part/region and it was so easy in the old one to set tempo to that loop

how? ne1?

Message 10/56             28-Nov-03  @  05:17 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

Influx

hey..if right click opens the old tool box from VST...how do you process audio etc?

Message 11/56             28-Nov-03  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

milan

can you adjust the volume on all channels with one click yet? like, sellect all faders and move them or something?

Message 12/56             28-Nov-03  @  12:26 PM     Edit: 28-Nov-03  |  12:26 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

dARKSTATe

Ah.. checked it out with RAT the other night... looks tasty...

Now if the hardware controller support (Mackie Control, Shuttle Pro etc.) is better than in SX 1 that will be sweet!

Milan.. stick with Logic mate... don't do us any favours...

Message 13/56             28-Nov-03  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

k

question - how the hell do you now SET TEMPO TO OBJECT - like you set a loop of audio or a audio part/region and it was so easy in the old one to set tempo to that loop

how? ne1?

I REALLY need to know this one please asap - i just cannot find it in SX2 - worse - i find that if I loop a portion of the track and then change the tempo on the transport, the bloody audio wave shortens too - I do NOT want that to happen

Message 14/56             28-Nov-03  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

m

k not sure about that, i never noticed loops changing lengths tho, SX2 has a timwarp tool maybe thats what you need.

influx, process audio in the audio menu. the right click toolbox is optional, by default you still get the drop menu

milan you could link some or all channels in the mixer.

Message 15/56             28-Nov-03  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

k

well this is ludicrous - that was one of the most used parts of Cubase... well for me anyways cos you could import a loop and quickly set the SONG tempo to the loop - damn!

Message 16/56             28-Nov-03  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

Influx

milan...you can adjust all faders by shift clicking the ones you want, then "link"

Message 17/56             28-Nov-03  @  11:46 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

m

what about just stretching the part to fit?

Message 18/56             01-Dec-03  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

R.A.T.

So K, are you trying to get Cubase to set the tempo of song to the tempo of the loop ? Rather than timestretch the loop to the tempo of the song ?

(Untie tounge) Don't think there is a setting for it, although I'm sure I read in a review that this had been added back into SX2 after being dropped in SX1. Can't find anything in a scan of the manual.

However, if you select the loop you want and press 'P' to set the markers either side, then go into 'Timestretch' it will show you the temp of the loop. Just plop that into the Cubase tempo and shove the sample to the start of a bar.

Must say I'm well happy with SX2, had to wait a while for ESI to fix my STI card drivers but it was well worth it, it just feels 'right', a big impovement over SX1 withouth changing too much or creating a steep learning curve I love the way the FX work now, much more in line with my sound mangling habbits, even though it uses slightly more CPU power I can use send FX much more effectivly and actually use less. Audio routing is quite inspirational too.

And I swear it sounds a little bit chrisper than SX1, maybe its my rose tinted spectacles.

Reminds me of one of my favorite bits of graffiti I found in a hospital bog:

'NO NURSE, I SAID REMOVE HIS SPECTACLES AND PRICK HIS BOIL!!!"

Message 19/56             02-Dec-03  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

K

Oddly it works fine with my old St-audio WDM drivers

Message 20/56             03-Dec-03  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

dARKSTATe

You're kidding right? At what bitrate, sample depth, and driver mode??

That's freaky shit if it is in Asio(WDM) mode with low latency becoz apparently EVERYONE with the old 7.02.014 drivers has had grief!

Feck for that very reason, I didn't even bother until RAT gave me the headz up about the interim-fix drivers that STAudio boshed out until the "proper" ESI EDWM drivers are ready!!

Message 21/56             03-Dec-03  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

admin

Link?:  Link

well, i've got the older MK1 dsp 24/96 card, not the newer c-port with the MK2 card - works fine!

Message 22/56             04-Dec-03  @  04:32 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

dARKSTATe

Hmmm.. both RAT and I have the older MK1 card (with the breakout box) and we've had problems!

No matter, ESI - STAudio have just posted the first public Beta of their EWDM drivers! Early word is VERY encouraging!

Message 23/56             05-Dec-03  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

sox

Marc.....where? How about a link to these mysterious BETA drivers.....?

sox

Message 24/56             05-Dec-03  @  04:18 PM     Edit: 05-Dec-03  |  04:22 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

dARKSTATe

HERE

Make sure you fully uninstall your existing DSP24 drivers first.

Then when you install, be aware that it now needs to do two passes on the driver installer..

Have fun (they rock so far!!)

Message 25/56             09-Dec-03  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

sox

Marc: What do you mean "2 passes of the driver installer"?

I uninstalled...then tried to install using the windows "Found New Hardware" wizard. No joy.
I then tried the INF clear file that came with it. More joy...but now I seem to have 2 Hoontech MIDI ports (?) in VST/Fruity and SX still won't boot up. What have I done wrong?

sox

Message 26/56             10-Dec-03  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

dARKSTATe

Bobby... Call me mate.. I'll explain easier over the dog, than here..  

Message 27/56             10-Dec-03  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

sox

Marc..thanks for that.

Had to go to the Staudio site and follow the instructions.
Remove all DSP24/Ego Systems/Hoontech references from the registry.
When installing, do a manual install, choose Sound, Video, Game controllers (using the "have disk" option) and point it to the folder it's been unzipped to.

Seems to work alright!

Except....SX v.2 still won't open up  

sox

Message 28/56             10-Dec-03  @  02:38 PM     Edit: 10-Dec-03  |  02:39 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

dARKSTATe

We're running SX2.0.1....

Have you applied the update patch to go to the same ver? Apparently it fixes a LOT of stuff...

Message 29/56             10-Dec-03  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

sox

Not yet. Won't get a chance till tomorrow. I'll let you know.

(have a good trip by the way....don't drink too many Schlitz's......)

sox

Message 30/56             16-Dec-03  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

digital rust

" well this is ludicrous - that was one of the most used parts of Cubase... well for
me anyways cos you could import a loop and quickly set the SONG tempo to
the loop - damn!"

have you tried using the beat calculator?

Message 31/56             30-Dec-03  @  05:28 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

mcc>

funny....i was just telling the kid in tech forum that beat-loop matching-to-tempo was one of the true challenges in working with audio.

i guess so if even you guys struggle with it still....occasionally at least.

i sometimes consider upgrading my cubase vst 5.0 to sx......

logic disallows vst and i often read of problems with vst-wrappers etc.
digital performer suffers similar issues.
i know cubase fairly okay and it does feel like "home" to me.

at times i think i'd like more audio tracks than 8 > = 4 stereo. but then i'm more a midi-guy and half the time i don't even use the audio available to me.

and i like really old trucks.

and ableton live~

Message 32/56             30-Dec-03  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

milan

logic disallows vst????? are you on drugs?

but yeah, if yer happy with cubase i'd never advise anything else but sticking to it...

Message 33/56             30-Dec-03  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

mcc>

no drugs lately but i hear they can stay in your body for hundreds of years.
even when you ask them to go away......tee hee.

i thought vst-instruments had to be e-magic plug-ins to work in logic for some reason.
many a complaint on absynth list about it not performing correctly....and subsequent discussion re: vst-wrappers etc.

hmmm....

then i've read of problems with linplug instruments with logic too....at the linplug site.

but logic just seems to have so much going for it.....
i love the way it seems to handle automation so.....automatically.

well...i'm in search of the perfect world. it's probably right here looking at me.
and like my truck...it's paid for.

Message 34/56             31-Dec-03  @  05:24 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

psylichon

remember milan, clay's a Mac guy.... AU for him in Logic Land.

Message 35/56             31-Dec-03  @  05:46 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

mcc>

and one who remains impressed with pc guys who still use their favorite sequencer simply because it works great for them......
even if the company skipped out of town in regards to providing support.

Message 36/56             08-Jan-04  @  08:24 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

milan

thats pretty much the case here, aye... i'm sticking to pc and logic 5 untill i can eihter afford a mac, or something horribly good happens technology wise, forcing me to get another sequencer... tho i severely doubt that 2nd option.... untill then i'll be as happy as a pig in shit, which i probly am anyway... *shrug*

Message 37/56             08-Jan-04  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

mcc>

i would've kept driving the old g3 266 but it couldn't handle any decent soft-synths unless you consider.....well...nevermind.

old stuff you know how to work is always okay by me.

it's like a shovel.....will it shovel dirt?
okay then.

Message 38/56             13-Jan-04  @  09:13 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

dARKSTATe

Ahhh... just getting to grips with SX2 now the new ESI EWDM drivers for the STAudio are maturing more and more (still no "final" release for that yet but they're on RC4 and the thing is working better than ever!)

Anyway, thoughts on SX2 are extremely positive.. the audio engine is definitely a lot tighter and more robust than anything Steinborg have EVER done before. Silly shit like hitting the "loop between locators button" during playback would cause SX1 to glitch ever so slightly - is now rock solid in SX2. Getting to grips with the improved audio routing, and plug-in delay compensation across the entire signal path is schweet! Also, the fact that you can push the system performance a lot higher (70% and above) without audio playback problems is also useful (get the most out of those buffer settings people!!)

Plenty of other stuff to learn however.. stacked cycle record looks dead handy and I haven't even begun to fuck around with the Tempo manipulation time-warp tool thingy!! (oh and the little Cubase Toolbox is back, though the tool menu introduced in SX1 has established itself nicely!)

Rock on tommy!!

Message 39/56             14-Feb-04  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

BJT

So is SX2 the balls or the nuts.

Message 40/56             16-Feb-04  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

dARKSTATe

Mutts nutz, Dogs' Danglies.. etc.etc.

Message 41/56             16-Feb-04  @  09:43 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

k

yeah - it's great - i do have one question tho

does the current work screen (such as arrange-page) keep on flipping OUT of full-screen mode whenever a sub-screen is opened for everyone else here?

Message 42/56             17-Feb-04  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

dARKSTATe

Yeah, it still seems to do that for me.. though I'm using it on a dual monitor system running nVidia's nView so I dunno if that's messing things about too..

Message 43/56             17-Feb-04  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

Influx

dammit my copy is on order. no idea when thatll fuckin happen

Message 44/56             17-Feb-04  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

k

nah man - it's screwed on everything I've tried it on - and this is going on for what?.... 6 years unfixed ?!!

that is pathetic frankly

Message 45/56             17-Feb-04  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

mcc>

got one guy at audiomidi telling me sx is stable......for mac-haeds even.
and one guy telling me the new logic release is the only way to go if i move up from cubase 5.0.

the screen-complaint doesn't sound really appealing to me.

Message 46/56             18-Feb-04  @  08:36 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

k

it's minor man, BUT sooooooo irritating - and totaly un-called for surely

imagine in a session how much time is wasted re-maximising the screen - another oversignt imo is the inability to maximise the mixer screen, but that's cos it requires a minimum 17" monitor to properly display with ONE set of extra's visible (eq's, sends, inserts, etc)

ok, you can setup windows sets which does help to get round it, but still it's something they surely should sort out

Message 47/56             18-Feb-04  @  11:17 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

m

youve got to set 'always on top' for each class of window, right click in an inactive area below the title bar. you will have to do this once for the mixer, a vst instrument, plugin and midi plugin,

That stupid behaviour had me pulling hair out for years too, but it is fixed at last

Hope thats what you meant

Message 48/56             18-Feb-04  @  06:15 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

Influx

yup. "always on top" sorts it

Message 49/56             19-Feb-04  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

the_dr38

Whilst we're on the subject of cubase 2, I recently uninstalled it and its still in my programmes list in the control panel. When I click remove it says can't open install.log. GRRRR!!!

Message 50/56             19-Feb-04  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

psylichon

File?:  [image]

[image file]

I would run regedit and delete all references to Cubase, then download TweakUI
off the Microsoft website (google it) and use that to remove orphaned programs on
your add/remove list.

Message 51/56             19-Feb-04  @  09:56 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

the_dr38

Cheers man Ill find the program. What's regedit?

Message 52/56             20-Feb-04  @  11:42 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

dARKSTATe

The source of all your dreams and your worst nightmares!

Message 53/56             26-Feb-04  @  01:59 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

BJT

Got a copy, one thing, SX 2.0 sounds soo much better than VST, the Nuendo engine is superb, and it's a little more tidy. Not that happy with the stability of it, seemz to sit and think on my PC abit.

K thought about emailing a complaint to Steinberg, from what I read, they are fairly responsive to user feedback, especially something like that.

Message 54/56             04-Mar-04  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

sox

The newest ST Audio drivers (8.2) seem to work most excellent so far. Put 'em on yesterday and narry a crash (yet...)

sox

Message 55/56             05-Mar-04  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

GrooveMonkey

SO far s good... me likey SX

Confused with the new ESI driver tho... it shows up 12 I/O's (0-11) but the card supports only 10.. hmnmmm...

Other wise, good so far.. I've switched over mid project and carrying on just was not an issue.

G

Message 56/56             09-Mar-04  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: SX 2 who's got it?

0dB

The other two are yer standard windows ones I think, more compatable for games and stuff.

Viewing all 56 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 56 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot