aaa which harddrive should i get? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: which harddrive should i get?

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18             23-Feb-04  @  10:25 PM     Edit: 23-Feb-04  |  10:27 PM   -   which harddrive should i get?

Stuff

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I'm planning to buy a new harddrive. (mostly) for audio recording, samples and stuff like that.
I've had mine a couple of years now, and of course it's filled. ; )
And it's a good choice to buy a new one IF my old is going to break down eventually..

So i'm looking for a new and RELIABLE harddrive.
I don't care if it screams like a bitch or sounds like a train, i'm only looking for state of the art performance!
And since i'm planning to buy 120 gb + , an eventual hd crash is not an option. Yeah we all know, such information and data is invaluable.

Local comp store said i.e. IBMs are "shit" and Western Digital's best deal..
Music makers opinions about that? 'caus, at least I.. don't know what to believe, when it comes to current harddrive technology, standards, safety and reliability.

So.. what should i get ? : )

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             23-Feb-04  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

BluStudio

external? looked at glyph or lacie audio drives?

blu

Message 3/18             24-Feb-04  @  12:53 AM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

xoxos

i heard the 80 meg 7200rpm ibms are prone to failure.. i have a 40 myself which has been reliable for 2 years.. no lcue how that goes for >80 :p

Message 4/18             24-Feb-04  @  01:39 AM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

psylichon

File?:  [image]

[image file]

The problem is that hard drive reliability shifts year to year, manufacturer to
manufacturer. Best to find a recent review on ZDnet or something similar to see
what current crop is the best. I've had success with Western Digital in the past.

As far as speed goes, I highly recommend a drive with a larger (i.e. 8mb) cache.
All the manufacturers make them in this flavor now, and it really does result in
faster performance.

I also recommend an uninterruptable power supply (APS or the like) with line
conditioning. I've lost many hard drives due to (in my estimation) sagging power in
my place... and since I've gotten the UPS, I haven't had any more issues.

Also, budget in a backup system. DVDs are nice, but tape is more reliable.

2 cents...

Message 5/18             24-Feb-04  @  10:42 AM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

K

Link?:  No link

seagate, maxtor, WD are all good. BUT, one day your new drive WILL fail so make sure you also have a seperate PHYSICALY backup drive (not a partition drive for backup)

Message 6/18             24-Feb-04  @  02:26 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

craig

Tape for the kind of sizes we're talking about is ridiculously expensive... DVD is the most cost effective way to back up individual projects..

I swear by the Maxtors these days. I have had no end of problems with Western Digitals.

-Craig

Message 7/18             24-Feb-04  @  04:11 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

xoxos

do dvd-rs use the same kind of 'wax' layer tech that cd-rs use, or something more durable?

Message 8/18             24-Feb-04  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

craig

DVD+R and CD-R are based on the same technology, but DVD-R is supposed to last longer... DVD-R is a different kind of construction.

-Craig

Message 9/18             25-Feb-04  @  07:29 AM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

k

I meant a backup hard-drive - I havent bought a WD drive for a long time, back in late 90's I had 3 or 4 fail and WD f*cked me over for replacements. Never bought one since, but I thought they were ok now... is that not the case ?

Message 10/18             25-Feb-04  @  08:16 AM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

lucidskies

Agreed w/ Blu, try glyph or lacie. I have myself a Lacie. It's firewire and it looks
awessome. Good performance and pretty quiet. But I hear glyphs are really the
way to go--good stuff!
Best of luck!
-Miike

Message 11/18             25-Feb-04  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

Stuff

I came across a giant 500 gb LaCie at my last work, and it was impressive (i couldn't take it with me unfortunately ;).
But at this point they're way too expensive over here (scandinavia).

How about Maxtors external ("Onetouch") ? Actually rather 'cheap', but maybe not in the same league as LaCie? (and Glyph, which i've never heard about before)

About external devices; is USB or USB 2.0 fast enough? Or is FireWire the only recommended way when working with audio and sequencers?

'Uninterruptable power supply' - i guess it's something my computer should have then. But if not, is there any other way to solve this? Like an adapter or something between the comps power supply and the harddrive?

I found out that i will need to burn about 30-40 DVD's to backup my current stuff. But, it's too much work start organising and separating work just to make it fit well on ~40 different storage devices..
So I'm planning to buy a harddrive only for backup too. So if i unplug the backup drive from the power supply - and only use it when i need to do backups. Wouldn't it extend the life of this drive by ages ??

Message 12/18             25-Feb-04  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

craig

Spec-wise USB2 is faster than Firewire, although real-world implementations have been a bit slower due to system overhead.

I had the same experience as K with WD, and I'll never buy one again.

-Craig

Message 13/18             25-Feb-04  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

k

I never checked to see if it's possible to tell INDIVIDUAL drives to hibernate in XP - doubt it

Message 14/18             25-Feb-04  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

k

but to add - a second PHYSICAL hard-drive is by far the cheapest form of backup - they are piss cheap compared to storage media

Message 15/18             25-Feb-04  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

craig

True, but with a CD drive, burner, audio hard disk, and OS hard disk many of us are all used up on IDE channels..

Message 16/18             25-Feb-04  @  07:06 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

toast

That's what external usb2/fw drives are for. Plug em in, run your backup program, unplug em. External drive enclosures start at about $30 for either usb2 or firewire. Both will run you like $70. The small enclosures without an internal psu with a seagate 7200rpm drive inside are stupid quiet too.

Message 17/18             25-Feb-04  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

Tommy

My experience is that IBM drives are very bad, Matrox is even worse, and WD is decent.

I've just had one Seagate drive which was 2,5 GB so I can't really say anyting recent about them. Here in scandinavia the WD 8MB Cache drives have 3 year warany, which is 3 times better than their regular 2MB cache drives, So make sure you buy the SE version with 8MB Cache.

Message 18/18             25-Feb-04  @  09:37 PM   -   RE: which harddrive should i get?

beds

Link?:  Link

ibm had a a problem with the "deathstar" drives, but switched factory after. i had one that died due to power flickering from a plug, i have one 30g one that doesn't cause any trouble, wouldn't buy another though.

drives are so cheap these days though, 120g for 50 quid! can't go wrong.

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot