aaa usb audiocards comparison - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: usb audiocards comparison

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             07-May-04  @  12:00 PM     Edit: 10-May-15  |  11:56 PM   -   usb audiocards comparison

some-random-artist

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all,
I need soundcard with headphone output, a pair of analog i/o and midi interface. For the moment i do not need any mic pre amps etc.
Right now i am using a desctop PC with a m-audio audiophile 2496 PCI card. I am quite happy with that but i really need a headphone output. In addition since i am probably going to buy a laptop in the not too distant future i am considering a usb audio card. How do these cards compare? Any reviews and comparisons would be greatly appreciated:

Novation SpeedIO, M-audio Audiophile USB, Tascam us-122

I would also consider a PCI card if it is going to be much cheaper than the above and have a good headphone output.
thanks in advance for your advice.
andreas

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             07-May-04  @  12:36 PM   -   RE: usb audiocards comparison

k

Link?:  Link

I've used the tascam and it was ok... however, it can have pops and crackles if not working ok like all these devices. - overall it was ok, the direct monitoring worked good in SX2, good indicator lamps etc. fairly robust.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7             07-May-04  @  02:41 PM     Edit: 11-May-15  |  12:00 AM   -   RE: usb audiocards comparison

some-random-artist

How about the PCI card HOONTECH DSP 24 VALUE. Does it have a headphone output?

Message 4/7             07-May-04  @  02:42 PM     Edit: 10-May-15  |  11:59 PM   -   RE: usb audiocards comparison

some-random-artist

just realised it doesn have any midi i/o...

Message 5/7             08-May-04  @  10:03 AM   -   RE: usb audiocards comparison

k

nope - but you cant use that with a lappy - I'm confused you say PCI cards but also that it's a laptop. I cant see you'll get phones out on a stereo cheap card

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/item.cfm?threadid=2662&lang=0

that one comes WITH the midi bracket - the Value version DSP24/96 from Hoontech also has a minijack OUT as well as the stereo RCA i/o's - this appears in the driver listinsg as a dedicated port - so you could mebbe route that as your headphone OUT but you'd need to send it to some sort of headphone box with a socket.

But there is the other qiestion - what do you want to use the headphones for?

the host s/w might not have the ability to route to the other output if the main outs are used as asio driver allocated in the host. - there is a mixer applet that comes with the card tho whoich has cable routing ability for a few different configs.

I've installed alot of those cards, but dont actualy own one so I haven't one to test this - but if i remember right it's the same panel as the next cards up in the range - you can mebbe connect the EXTERNAL MIXER to the main stereo OUT and you'd get a mirror of the main out going to the mini-jack out also. - otherwise the main stereo out driver port is connected direct to the physical RCA outs. You'd have to ask a regular user - Dingo & Sox both use it.

Message 6/7             08-May-04  @  04:12 PM     Edit: 10-May-15  |  11:58 PM   -   RE: usb audiocards comparison

some-random-artist

Well i actually need a headphone output cause which my PCI audiophile lacks. Now i can go for a PCI or a usb card. But since i might buy a laptop in the near future the usb version seems like a good idea. But i would not dismiss the idea of a PCI card as a temporary solution if that is much cheaper than the usb one. hope it makes sense now! i am gearing towards the audiophile usb card.

Message 7/7             24-May-04  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: usb audiocards comparison

k

well couldnt you get some sort of small headphone adapter box to connect to the audiophile OUT's?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)