aaa Macs! What are they again?? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Macs! What are they again??

Viewing all 36 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/36             13-Jun-04  @  01:57 AM   -   Macs! What are they again??

Steve Roughley

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi all.

God... been ages since I last posted here.

Anyways, working late and one of my workmates showed me this earlier today, and I thought you lot might be interested:

web-link

I'm buying one!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/36             05-Aug-04  @  03:52 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

Musineer Productions

From my experience, the Mac's the one that's still working whilst your blanking the
PC's drive due to the latest worm/virus/or general unhelpful meddling.src='images/sad.gif'>

Message 3/36             05-Aug-04  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

dARKSTATe

Really? Guess from your experience those PCs weren't particularly well configured, protected or used then...

Message 4/36             05-Aug-04  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

Influx

funny how some random always pops up to talk shit when the word mac comes up.

my studio pc works beeyootifully

Message 5/36             06-Aug-04  @  05:21 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

Musineer Productions

And I hope it continues to do so.
However mine is infected.
It's true it probably wasn't as secure as it could have been, but then again I'm a
musician who uses a computer - not a technician who makes music. By the same
logic, the Macs were configured to a similar level of competance, yet they're
working fine.
And what's shit about saying PCs get more crap chucked at them than Macs?
Both systems seem to have their good points, but on this issue Macs stand out.
And before some nutter sees that as a challenge, I've no doubt it is possible to
arse up Macs too.
Anyway, it was merely an observation based on personal experience in response
to what seemed to be a humourous jibe. Don't get so touchy folks! Why do people
get so fanatical about this PC/Mac thing anyway? I moved from Atari a couple of
years ago, and by comparison I think both Macs and PCs are excellent.

Message 6/36             06-Aug-04  @  09:11 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

dARKSTATe

Whoa an ex-Atari ST user eh?! That explains why you reckon you're a "musician who uses a computer"...

LoL..."..it probably wasn't as secure as it could've been..." coz in all sensibility, ya shouldn't be putting yer music workstation on the 'net where it can catch shit in the first place!!!! (PC OR MAC) but that's just IMO...

Chill out mate, its the WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKEND!!!!

Message 7/36             06-Aug-04  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

k

Link?:  Link

yeah, the amount of attacks for Windows PC's and IE Windows browser is ludicrous... it's a damned shame... but statisticaly mac's are such a minority of total PC users it's not surprising they get less stuff attacking them

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/36             13-Aug-04  @  12:23 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

sitar

I was going to say that. When somebody wants to do damage or just get a kick hearing about their virus in the news they're not going to put the energy toward Mac. Although the last place I worked about 5 years ago our Macs were infected with a virus.

Message 9/36             13-Aug-04  @  01:01 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

SignalRunners - BLU

also, remember- most of the people i have met, studios ive been in, where they are running G4/5's they arent connected to the internet where the obvious danger lies.

Whereas your average music maker on pc is using an all in one job for everything, so are open to attack.

I think if people kept there old pc the next time they updateed, and kept it for internet, there new music pc would be fucking wicked as a music only machine!

i mean, no one upgrades for using the internet,. but for more horsepower for there music apps.

Just think, A spanking new AMD/P4 with a fresh xp2000 install, with just SX and a handful of there most used vst/i/s in the bare-naked programme directory! Beaaaaaautiful   (and 100% virus free!)

Blu

Message 10/36             13-Aug-04  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

craig

Blu said:

Just think, A spanking new AMD/P4 with a fresh xp2000 install, with just SX and a handful of there most used vst/i/s in the bare-naked programme directory! Beaaaaaautiful (and 100% virus free!)

And people wonder why I seldom complain about PC problems...

Message 11/36             13-Aug-04  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

k

yeah, i was fixing a mac problem the other day, it was an e-mac sorta like an imac - um - dunno it's spec but using reason & logic pro man I was SO furstrated at the time it took just to do simple stuff like scroll up the mixer in logic when dragging a mixer object, or even flipping between logic and reason - i couldnt work like that, i'd smash the thing up - it was very frustrating, but stable as far as i could see although it wasnt being stressed at all.

I just couldnt beleive someone could work like that - no taskbar! - you gotta mouse over the invisble pop-up animated bar, wait for it to appear... scroll to Logic, select... gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - grrrrrrrrrr

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/36             13-Aug-04  @  06:06 PM     Edit: 13-Aug-04  |  06:09 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

SignalRunners - BLU

heehee , I love that little invisable task bar thing! mine flashes up fast as fuck- mebbe you can change the speed on em

lol, i remember last month when andrew was over and the first time he looked at the mouse-

he was like " are you shitting me son? wheres the other button? "

lol '

Message 13/36             13-Aug-04  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

craig

I've been doing a lot of testing lately on our office Mac and I can't work on it for more than 10 minutes without getting frustrated with it.

It sure looks pretty though.

Message 14/36             13-Aug-04  @  09:38 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

k

yeah - i was flabberghasted... you CANT use right mouse for eraser and left for pencil in logic - fuck me!... you gotta change every time you want to erase!!!!!!

ghaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Message 15/36             14-Aug-04  @  02:57 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

psylichon

I can tolerate a fast G5 with OSX using Pro-Tools at work. Anything else or anything less and it's a truly frustratingly slow experience.

Message 16/36             14-Aug-04  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

SignalRunners - Andrew

omfgidie4PTonaG5wtfbbq

Message 17/36             14-Aug-04  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

SignalRunners - BLU

hahahaha, u know this mang

Message 18/36             14-Aug-04  @  04:13 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

k

dunno about g5's - it was more the way the OS works that frustrated the hsite out of me - i admit, if it wasnt running 2 apps i wouldnt have to flip between them... probably there's a keyboard shortcut anyways which i dont know, but seriously - slow as fuck - a 300 quid home-built pc would annihilate it

Message 19/36             14-Aug-04  @  04:13 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

k

um... except you wouldn't be able to actualy get Logic 6 *sigh*

Message 20/36             14-Aug-04  @  10:32 PM     Edit: 15-Aug-04  |  09:14 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

psylichon

apple-tab will switch programs for ya, k. Hmmmm... wonder where they got that
idea from? Or the whole program dock idea? Hmmmm.... I wonder.... 'images/whatever.gif'>

hey what happened to the whatever smiley?

Message 21/36             14-Aug-04  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

SignalRunners - BLU

but isnt the way the programme screen slinks away down top the task bar just to die for!

Message 22/36             15-Aug-04  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

k

no it's not!!!! - it looks to me like it's being flushed down the toilet!! - makes me want a crap whenever i see it  

Message 23/36             15-Aug-04  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

psylichon

hehe, yeah, I turn off "the genie" cause, um, I'm straight

Message 24/36             16-Aug-04  @  09:21 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

dARKSTATe

Where's that musineer dude gone?! Oh.. yeah.. riiiight...

Message 25/36             20-Aug-04  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

Musineer Productions

Yup, I'm still blubbing and wondering what virus thing I've got. It knobbled the
Norton which I can't reload. Grisoft AVG7 loaded and found some ad-ware, for all
sorts of sites which I don't vist on the PC . Honest, I've
an old Mac for that!

The XP help has gone, and Explorer is slow, though the appli (sorry) programs
seem to work ok. The Modem and fax are also knobbled (wizard shows greyed out
option on Network set-up). The Broadband set-up again ok though.

I'm going to reload XP, and if still no joy I've been given killdisk.

The Macs are still runnng fine

K, I tried Logic on the G4 400 and it worked smoothly. No sluggishness at all.

Perhaps the one button takes a bit of getting used to - it's what you're familiar with I
suppose.

Message 26/36             20-Aug-04  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

dARKSTATe

Flatten the box. Rebuild, bung on the hotfixes but NOT SP2 and keep the thing off the net!

Then it'll run like a dream..  

Message 27/36             20-Aug-04  @  09:27 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

psylichon

use firefox instead of internet explorer

Message 28/36             20-Aug-04  @  11:13 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

k

dude - mine is on 24/7 - use a firewall (Zone-alarm, use a good AV (I use avast, but whatever), IF you must use IE and NOT Mozzila, then get the anti-hacks (Spywareguard) for IE, ad-aware etc for payware.... should be fine.

Message 29/36             20-Aug-04  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

Musineer Productions

Ah, useful comments at last!

I didn't know there were such problems with IE (I only use it cos its free, not out of
mis-placed loyalty to old Bill). I'll take your advice and find the progs mentioned.

Trouble is, I supplement the earning from three afternoons of music teaching by
designing web-sites with the missus. Even Safari (e-mac) requires fiddling with to
display a site as intended. Netscape renders sites differently again. I wonder how
Mozilla will do? Is IE still the most common? Or is there nothing in it these days?

Seems the gist of what you're all saying is don't surf with the music machine.
What a sad world we sit in. A bloke at work has offered an old PC for surfing, so I'll
set that up, install the AV etc stuff, check the backup cds for nasties, then I can
continue with the noises.

dARKSTATe, what's wrong with SP2? I've not even seen it yet. I've just updated
from 98 to Xp at work, so I've no intention of going through that again if at all
possible. But should the bloke in a white coat appear with a disk, what rational
reason can I give him to send him away without upgrading the os? Oh, and I hope
'flatten the box' was figurative

I've downloaded the videos for installing xp, which are a great idea if a little out of
focus. For folkes like me who balk at words like BIOS its really useful to be able to
see the screen as the install happens. No jargon needed. A big thanks to whoever
took the time to do that

Message 30/36             20-Aug-04  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

craig

Mozilla (non-Firefox) = Netscape 7.

Our statistics show that we're at about 92% IE, 5% Netscape, and the rest is a mishmash of Mozilla, Opera, Safari, and others I've not heard of before  

Usually we concentrate on building things that functino fully in Netscape, but are designed for the best experience under IE. It all depends on what you're trying to deliver though. I'd approach design very differently for a web application as I would a band's website.

Message 31/36             20-Aug-04  @  02:17 PM     Edit: 20-Aug-04  |  02:18 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

dARKSTATe

Lol, "Flatten the box" - to reformat and your PC prior to an o/s rebuild

As for SP2 - there are meant to be a LOT of fixes to security in this build. So many changes in fact, that in many circles its almost being referred to as WinXP2..

However, as with ANY major O/S upgrade you can bet your bottom dollar that NO compatibility or stability testing was done with us music bods in mind. The old "test of time" has kind of shown XP SP1 (plus hotfixes) to be ok for us musos and if it ain't broke.....

Message 32/36             23-Aug-04  @  12:04 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

Lloyd Duddley

Link?:  No link

One things is true, you are definately either a MAC or PC person, but NEVER both. I dont really know anything about macs so I cant say but all of my experiences with them have either resulted in a nervous breakdown or a fire. I went from using Cubase on a PC to using Logic on a MAC, how different is that??? It did **** up my head!!! Although I must sau that I am completely happy running Windows xp pro on a P4, 2.8 gHz, 1024DDR Ram and a partitioned 80 gig hard drive. I'm telling you if you use a dual boot and install AVG free and Norton internet security and keep them updated then you'll have no probs. I am running Cubase vst 32 and sx 2, Reason 2.5, Logic 5.5platinum, Abelton live (which I recently uninstalled), and a few programmes such as adobe premier, maya flash etc. Fair enough a bit more disk space would be nice as these files are huge but touch wood I have never had a problem yet.

Message 33/36             23-Aug-04  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

dARKSTATe

"..Cubase vst 32 and sx 2, Reason 2.5, Logic 5.5platinum, Abelton live .."

LoL, you're either loaded.. or a pirate...

Message 34/36             23-Aug-04  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

SignalRunners - BLU

'One things is true, you are definately either a MAC or PC person, but NEVER both'

I use both here  

G5 - Sequencing/Recording on Protools with 16 outs going to desk (002/Ai3) and another 8 outs to desk from 1010 card on PC running Vstack for vstis.

They sit beside each other nicely without a scuffle  

blu

Message 35/36             23-Aug-04  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

Influx

yeah Lloyd...whats with the multiple sequencers?

Message 36/36             23-Aug-04  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: Macs! What are they again??

k

well, SP2 apparently already has been reported as being potentialy hackable - I say fuck SP2 and use a good firewall, turn off XP 'remote' and 'automatic updates' and 'error reporting' and use a recommended anti IE browser hack s/w - spywareguard I use - all this shit is free - I used to use Norton AV but after trying the free ANWIL one I wont go back to Norton, because it works and is free and does the job - since adding this and spywareguard i aint had a problem - oh yes and of course a firewall - either in the router built-in - but also i prefer to use a s/w one too in the pc itself even if the router (if you use one) has a firewall - I use Zonealarm - works great!

I also use the usual Adaware and spyware blater -

go and check

www.wilders.org/downloads.htm

all free stuff listed there

Viewing all 36 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 36 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot