aaa Logic 5.5 is finally falling - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Viewing all 43 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/43             23-Aug-04  @  01:10 PM   -   Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Its getting quite scary now. Native instruments new 3 pack of keyboards (that sound TIGHT) hasn't been tested in PC Logic 5.5 and is unavailable. I haven't really noticed this all too much until now. I bet there is going to be some super soft synth, made by NI that does everything for you and I'll have to convert to Logic on the MAC to be able to use it, :-( Booooooooooooooo!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/43             23-Aug-04  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

Link?:  Link

what new 3 pack?

Message 3/43             23-Aug-04  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

The B4 XPRESS, PRO-53 XPRESS and the FM7 XPRESS pack. NI didn't BETA test in Logic for the PC and beause of this, apprentley there are loads of bugs. ie if you try and save a patch in FM7, it crashes. Very upsetting.

Message 4/43             24-Aug-04  @  10:42 AM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

well, i think you heard wrong, coz these versions are so cut down you can't save a patch (you can save it as a logic setting or cubase fxb, fxp)

the only changing you can do is a basic cutoff, res, envelope, fx dry/wet, pan, volume

Message 5/43             24-Aug-04  @  11:20 AM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

Thanks Beds. Yer, I'm not really interested in deep editing as I have Absynth 2 for that. I just want some simple synths with A1 quality sounds for standard patches like chord stabs in the breakdowns.

Message 6/43             26-Aug-04  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

Well, I spent my hard earned and am quite pleased with them. Cool sounds, especially the B4 Organ. And more patches to be made available on the NI website. Bit buggy though as FM7 crashes when you change the mod wheel and if you have a chord playing in Logic, the keyboard only visually plays 1 note of that chord which is a bit odd. That's about as far as I've got. Will play more tonight.

Message 7/43             26-Aug-04  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

jeesus. that don't sound too good. is that only logic? i'll ask around again ...

Message 8/43             26-Aug-04  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

indeed it is only logic. it's not that fucking old is it, kinda scummy of them not to bother, but yeah, we're fugged aren't we?

Message 9/43             27-Aug-04  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

I'm still in love with and fancy Logic but sometimes I feel like I should sell all my gear and buy Fruity Loops with Reason on a laptop. A lot of kids I know use this and their tunes are good. Not amazing but good. Good enough. Its cool cos I can keep blaming the tools and not the workman!! No, no can't possibley be me, must be my equipment!

Message 10/43             28-Aug-04  @  04:01 AM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

casparproject

Link?: Link

Fuck don't do that man, you'll kill yourself. There's so much more flexibility in
logic than floops. If you're gonna pay for a laptop, buy a mac lappie and stick w
logic. I made the switch from PC to mac six years ago, and I gotta say I'm pretty
f'n happy with it. Do you have anything specific against macs?

Peter

Message 11/43             28-Aug-04  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

price?

Message 12/43             29-Aug-04  @  01:24 AM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

milan

yeah really... "let them eat cakes" :P

anyway... Logic on pc will never die!!! just like punk!!! and the hippy music before that! and elvis too! erm....

Message 13/43             29-Aug-04  @  01:25 AM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

milan

argh bloody hell... forgot hardcore will never die!

Message 14/43             29-Aug-04  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

milan

god did i have lot to drink last night...

Message 15/43             29-Aug-04  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

casparproject

I paid $1700CAD (about $1200US) for my ibook G4 800mhz a year ago, and it's
rock solid, portable, and under a full warranty! I think that's pretty cheap. If you
are using Logic, you're going to have to make the switch eventually.

Peter

Message 16/43             29-Aug-04  @  01:34 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

well, depending on how you work, i personally use a lot of soft synths/samplers, don't do much bouncing and macs don't pack enough power for the price.

... nuendo or sonar4 maybe

Message 17/43             29-Aug-04  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

and another thing .... ;)

i have more than one pc, and lots of bits of them lying around, so when i feel the need to build a faster box, i don't go out and buy the whole thing, only the bits i need - so i got a certain amount of "investment" in pcs ... just can't do that with a mac ... a change of software is the only option

Message 18/43             01-Sep-04  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

S'true. I read that Fatboyslim still uses an Atari ST. Probably gets it all mixed by Mike Spike Stent at Olympic but he's still only got an Atari as his work horse. Ahhhhhhh, the tightness of midi on an Atari, eh? I too love Logic but am looking for excuses as too why I am so bloody shit at producing. I can get 2 good 8 bar loops going…...well sounding good when I'm stoned anyway but when I listen to it back the next morning (not stoned), its sounds a bit rubbish. Hehhehehehe - but the fun bits getting there, no? The only reason I am making music is for the opportunity to slag everyone else off in a music magazine interview!!!!

Message 19/43             01-Sep-04  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

k

yeah - never seel mine.... i s'pose you could buy a cheap s/h hardware sequencer, record your midi arranegment into it and use it for playback triggering when you mix, but it'd mean alot of fuckin about assigning shit, especialy if using alot of vsti's... dunno what'd happen if you just clocked a PC to a hardware unit tho... prolly not the same

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 20/43             01-Sep-04  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

DingoStema

For me Logic 5.5 does everything that I need it to do but because I dont really do much research on the new sequencers, I'm always feeling like I'm missing out on something. Those German fuggers,grrrrrrr.

One of the guys that's signed to the same label as us moved over to cubase only because there were problems getting it to run smoothly with his new UAD-1 card so I can only really see me changing if something like that happened for us.

Message 21/43             01-Sep-04  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

So guys,

What would you say are your favourite Logic native plug-ins. For some bizarre reason I keep heading towards the modulation delay over loops and single shot drum samples. I sit there for hours playing with this plug-in. Then I get bored and skin up. Then play with it again. Although it does sound kinda cool over pads aswell. I can never seem to hear the effect of the sub bass plug-in though. Maybe my Tannoy Reveals don't go that low, dunno! In terms of adding dirt to one's drums, do you guys use overdrive or distortion. I tend to use overdrive as when I attempt to use overdrive on my desk via the gain pots, the sub group drum compressor gets overloaded badly but I'm making sure I'm using the -10db switch at the back. Weird. Wow, I sound like I'm really moaning don't I?!? My levels to my compressors overloads so easy that infact I can only get my sum mackie desk signal to +3 on the meters which reads 0db on my main mix compressor. But when I
A/B a CD track that I like burnt into Logic, it hits +20 db on my mackie but still 0db on my main compressor. Its very annoying because I can never use an A/B track to help me set levels. For example the kick drum sounds nice and fat off the CD track and hits -4 on my compressor but when I try and set the same level on my kick to get -4 on the compressor, I have to boost loads on the desk which ends up taking up all the level on the desk stereo meters. Very badly explained I know so lets just call this a moan rather than a cry for help.

Message 22/43             01-Sep-04  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

milan

lol... spontaneous rant.

favourite plugins... dunno, but i love the different distortion plugs in Logic. actually i like the compressor too.- when you turn autogain on, it makes the sound hard for some reason, which works well for harder drums. not so good for "nice" stuff tho. actually, the thing i most like about Logic are the mad and almost unlimited routing capabilities which allow me to show off in front of newbies and sonar users alike . hi psy ;)

Message 23/43             01-Sep-04  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

tape delay, autofilter, noise gate, i use the compressor when i want a harder sound as well ... mostly tape delay

Message 24/43             01-Sep-04  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

... on the other hand ;

there's no plugin delay compensation on busses which makes the nice routing a bit useless

the sends aren't properly stereo

not that i use it, but the rewire is crap.

no offline bounce

Message 25/43             01-Sep-04  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

k

oh yeah jesus - NO offline bounce is THE most frikkin LUDICROUS part of Logic... *shakes head in disbelief*

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 26/43             02-Sep-04  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

casparproject

autofilter, stereo delay, bitcrusher and platinumverb

Message 27/43             06-Sep-04  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

Beds, what d'you mean by no plug in compensator on a bus? D'you mean things are not as tight timing wise if you use a send rather than an insert?

Message 28/43             07-Sep-04  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Drop

Bumpin the 7th. Please, I'm worried.

Message 29/43             07-Sep-04  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

if you use vst inserts on a normal track channel then logic will compensate for any delay introduced by the plugin.

if you group your drums to a buss, use a load of vst inserts on that buss, logic won't compensate for any delay.

it's says in Audio > Audio Preferences : Plug-in Delay Compensation (Audio Tracks and Instruments)

and i just tested this - it doesn't work at all for DX plugins.

Message 30/43             07-Sep-04  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

But beds, are you taking about VST effects like GRM Tools having a delay or native logic plug-ins aswell?

Message 31/43             08-Sep-04  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

xoxos

coming from the beginning of this discussion, you can always sell it to me :P

Message 32/43             09-Sep-04  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

Nah, I want answers not cash.

Message 33/43             09-Sep-04  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

try it yerself innit. - or do i have to load up logic and do it for you?

i was referring to vst effects like grm yeah.

Message 34/43             09-Sep-04  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

So am I using my ears or a formula or a specially written bit of software?

Message 35/43             09-Sep-04  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

k

i dont get that - i can add mebbe 4 inserts on a bus... no delay at all

Message 36/43             09-Sep-04  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

beds

like what? try adding some processor intensive non-logic vst fx on the bus, won't work at all.

Message 37/43             04-Oct-04  @  12:22 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

k

Oh, well i tend to use Logic plugs, mebbe some autotune or waves RCL, otherwise i stick to logic plugs mostly.

Message 38/43             14-Oct-04  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

k

test add reply to a forum with 4 pages

Message 39/43             15-Oct-04  @  10:09 AM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

psylichon

test reply to a reply to a forum with 4 pages. beta testing is fun... what's next?

Message 40/43             15-Oct-04  @  02:49 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Stuff

This is not an improvement, the previous version that made us choose to view older messages from a selected range of time, was better.

I think that one single discussion topic should be kept in one page (damn even modems can load text and long threads pretty quick, it's those awful forums where everyone uses unecessary avatars that are slow). And Dancetech was one of the few i visit that still was relying on the smooth format of having everything gathered in one page.

Think of viewing threads offline; i tend to save interesting Dancetech discussions on my computer. And if it's divided every 10th post, theres gonna be loads of HTM-files to save and view.

Just my two cents ;)

Message 41/43             15-Oct-04  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

Dominic

I agree with this. Bring back the page version please!!!!!

Message 42/43             15-Oct-04  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

k

..... we fear change!....

Message 43/43             16-Oct-04  @  07:27 AM   -   RE: Logic 5.5 is finally falling

psylichon

vote for bush! kerry's ugly!

Viewing all 43 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot