aaa E-Mu 1812m - wow! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Viewing all 36 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/36             08-Sep-04  @  06:20 PM   -   E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

tried one today.... video will be up soon.... VERY VERY impressed. Super build quality, loverly mic pre's, bloody brilliant, albeit not a cheap item.... I video'd a short review for those who want to see a bit more than a single promo picture online - wait till you see the thing!!!... beautiful build quality!.... routing is comprehensive using the applet, built-in dsp fx which can be assigned within the s/w host sequencer (however, they are mostly additive delay & reverb type fx, there's no compressors etc) - ADAT i/o on the card for an additional simultaneous 8x8 i/o to go with the onboard 8x8 i/o in analog format - s/pdif. wordclock, smpte & mtc decicated ports on an additional breakout card too - all you need basicaly wether doing video, multimedia or multitracking traditional recording material.

all in all, a great big 10/10 ! - I want one! - video soon... I'll start editing tonight if possible.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/36             10-Sep-04  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

OK... just rendering the video review - it'll be up later today if you want to see this baby -I have to say this is one amazingly superb system! - The pre-amps are excellent with quality connectors and HUGE range, the converters are the same as Pro-Tools top-end etc... if you're up for an audio I/O system right now and want to stray out of budget territory, check this out, it is SUPERB! - (also can be upgraded to a full blown Emulator-X sampler with a 79 quid upgrade (or buy it with the sampler included from the outset.) - The sampler uses the DSP for processing and system ram/hard-drive for streaming & delivering samples. Emulator-X upgrades includes the 4gb library of E-mu samples!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/36             25-Oct-04  @  07:12 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Influx

Link?: Link

just to clarify, youre talking about the 1820m, right? not seen an 1812..

and yes...quality stuff from Emu no doubt!

Message 4/36             25-Oct-04  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

oh whoops!

sorry yes... wish i could have spent more time with it foir a fuller review of the patching applet

Message 5/36             26-Oct-04  @  12:46 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Influx

yup...thats almost confusing that aspect of it, but its really well featured tho!

Message 6/36             26-Oct-04  @  02:14 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

did you get to use it?

Message 7/36             26-Oct-04  @  03:05 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Influx

me? actually..I have the 1212M and only bought it for the EmuX sampler. I have a MOTU 828 and never even really got into the soundcard simply because I had the motu all set up

but, Im selling the MOTU for money reasons so...its gonna be the 1212M from here on out, and Ill have to learn that one inside out

Message 8/36             27-Oct-04  @  06:46 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

damballah

yeah, I just popped in a 1212 so I could upgrade to XP so I could upgrade to SX3. (had to also stick in a DVD drive 'cause that's how the SX upgrade came) I'm thinking of springing for the breakout box part once some other shit comes through. currently feeding the ADAT input with an 8 ch. mic pre/ADC but I'm needing more inputs shortly.

Message 9/36             27-Oct-04  @  06:15 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Influx

the preamps are supposed to be brilliant, and the converters top notch...I guess theyre the same on both "M" versions...?

they shoulda made the breakout rackable tho. kinda odd they didnt

Message 10/36             04-Nov-04  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Mindspawn

Any further thoughts on this card from anyone? Can one use multiple 1820 cards or no? Also, any thoughts on E-mu's support? They've been a bit dodgy in the past, doing things like dropping a product shortly (comparitively) after releasing it.....

I'm getting set for an upgrade. There's lots of options, the 1820M being one of them, but I'm also giving some consideration to switching platforms, i.e., going to a Mac with Logic for instance.... In any case, I suspect sometime in the next 3 months I'll have to sit down and make some choices..

Toodles

Message 11/36             05-Nov-04  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Influx

gene...since this is actually a creative release with the Emu name on it, support should be good

I believe you can chain two 1820Ms together, but Im not positive. Id check with Emu

and...as always...check with me if youre going to buy something. I can probably save you money!

Message 12/36             05-Nov-04  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

actualy i might go for one myself - i quite like the prospect of multiple adat outs/in's and dsp compressors if nothing else, but maily for the build quality although it's a shame it doesn't 19" rack 'as-is'

Message 13/36             05-Nov-04  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

Mindspawn

Thanks herr Influx, I may just do that.... K, I think they sell a rack mount kit for the critter, seems I saw that on Emu's site somewhere.

I've still got a little time to sort out what I'm gonna do... As i said before, I may end up going Mac, but if I don't I'm thinking the Emu might be a nice addition to a new rig.

Message 14/36             01-Dec-04  @  01:14 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

ok, Etcetera kindly sent another unit for review purposes, so we can finish off the 1820m review video PART-2... I'll need some time to setup and get into the routing applet and how it all integrates, the FX etc.... anything you need to know ask away meanwhile

actualy, I was so impressed with the 1820m last time i had a few brief hours with it to do part-1 of the video, i might actualy keep it, pay for it and sell the Hoontech C-Port system... not that the C-Port is bad, it's superb value bearing in mind the 1820m cost quite a bit more than a C-Port system

anyways whatever

Message 15/36             02-Dec-04  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

damballah

I've got the dock hooked up and running now, very simple and sounding good. there's a driver update out there too. Allows you to address the DSP part directly from your host software instead of having to create ewire channels in patchmix. one thing I'd want is to address dock #4 outputs like the others instead of having them reserved for "monitor."

Message 16/36             02-Dec-04  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

havent looked into it yet, but am looking forward to it very much. i wish i'd asked for the emulator-x to review - well, i'll try and get it after doing the applet & routing review video

Message 17/36             25-Feb-05  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

anyone using this and utilising the new POWER FX?

Message 18/36             25-Feb-05  @  03:05 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

damballah

powerfx, yeah some. I've had to do 2 setups with patchmix -- one for max I/O for tracking and one with minimal I/O for mixing which frees up the DSP for the efffects. I've also done a spdif send/return thing for my tcelectronics box so I'm not using much cpu taxing native time-based effects.

Message 19/36             25-Feb-05  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

but have you tried the POWERFX?... I ask cos i'm just getting time now to try it and it fails miserably in both SX2 and LOGIC 5, logic it simpoly just falls apart as soon as you add the power fx on an insert or send bus (norman cook style stretchy noise) and in SX although slightly better in that you can at least add the thing without the programme retching audibly, it simply cuts out all the time or distorts randomly, saometimes you'll add an effect and it works, then it just stops, or it never initialises in the first place, or it doesnt initialise then suddenly comes on randomly mebbe 3,5, or whatever seconds later, but only to continualy randomly drop in out all the time

it's hopeless as far as i can see. - The sound also distorts after a while playing games, gradualy the sound breaks up until it sounds like a distortion effect is added.

worst of all tech support (cough) is an INTERNATIONAL call number!!!! (but the tech support guy just denied they'd ever had a complaint about it, and didnt see why they needed to test it with SX or Logic when i reffered to the fact the manual dealt soley with a cubase version that is at least 2 years out of date & to all intents and purposes discontinued

thing is, i'm loath to try it in another machine cos if it scrws that one up after un-installing i have work to do, so far on the est machine it's failing miserably for everything EXCEPT acting as a straigh quality i/o card/rack... in that sense it works well with SX & LOGIC as a straight in/out device. The distortion only seems to happen with games.

Message 20/36             25-Feb-05  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

OH dear it gets worse

after a failure to really work properly in machine A (problems as above) I transferred it to test machine B

oh dear... first machine boots ok after install, logic opens, put on an effect using POWER FX, timing all goes to shit, and no it's not because of needing to use the supplied plugin delay compensator

then machine went quiet

rebooted to a blank desktop. no desktop at all, hard reboot required

reboot set patchmix to BLANK 44.1 default & open logic, no sound, logic then issues citicial error report....eeee

reboot again lets see what's next, but this is totaly unacceptable

Message 21/36             25-Feb-05  @  07:56 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

hold up.... hmm.... after tons of reboots and re-try's it seems to be not crashing now, odd, perhaps it can only work with one or two of the patchmix setups

more testing to do i spose *sigh* - god i hate computers  

Message 22/36             26-Feb-05  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

damballah

uh, luckily I've encountered nothing like that. used them as inserts in SX3. select powerfx, drag over a multieffects config, twiddle with the things and it plays fine. I tried using it in VST 5.1 as well and it worked OK until it was time to render a mixdown. it didn't like that none at all.

Message 23/36             26-Feb-05  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

hmm... well last night session ended with a big old lock up with the audio going buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz until the machine was switched off at the power switch (everything locked)

it ran ok until i decided to do some guitar practice and wanted to see what the included guitar presets were like

i dragged one to the INPUT strip on the patchmix and as soon as i dropped it all hell broke loose.... dunno what the problem is, but it's with logic. with SX it just doesnt work continualy, but it doesnt lock up

the issue perhaps is that Logic will not share driver with windows, but the e-mu doesnt show seperate drivers for each pair of outs like most other cards i've used (giga, m-audio, staudio, terretec etc), so you cant assign a 'named' pair of outs to windows audio and NOT use that pair in logic, perhaps the fact that windows audio is set to emu audio and so is the logic sequencer... mebbe that's it

more tests today i spose....

Message 24/36             26-Feb-05  @  11:14 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

btw, all this only started when the drivers were updated and the patchmix was updated to 1.60, before that it never crashed or had these issues (but also didnt have powerfx either)

Message 25/36             26-Feb-05  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

well it seems the e-mu is pretty fussy where the old logic 5 is concerned, you gotta have just the right patchmix setup or it'll fold it seems... seem to be getting somewhere with it, but trouble is, you think "ah, this seems ok now with this patchmix setup/config"... and then it crashes again after a while... lets see how this one goes, no crashes so far

there must be a way to get it right cos while there is reports of problems on the www, there is also many reports of it being ok... on we go *sigh*

Message 26/36             03-Mar-05  @  10:58 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

well, just leaving these comments as a sort of diary.

seems logic is fairly stable (v5.5) depending HOW you setup the patchstrips in the patchmix s/w application - there is some weird things happening tho with the powerfx

today I booted a test song which had one PowerFX compressor added as an insert to a Battery VSTi and some 'E-Delay Compensator' plugins added to other tracks to keep them in sync.

When the song opened, the PowerFX Compressor had changed to be a Plugin 'E-Delay Compensator'.

that sometimes happens. You choose 'POWERFX' from the e-mu plugin listings and what actualy opens is the 'E-Delay Compensator'

??

That's odd, but Creative did say they never tested it on Logic at all. Otherwise it runs ok as a quality i/o device it's very clean and quiet, nice crisp clean dynamic sound, and the headphone socket is superb, great sound with tons of headroom to go as loud as you like.

more to come.... they wanted the review unit back today so i paid for it so i can keep it and continue testing.

Message 27/36             03-Mar-05  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

Dear Dairy.... SX2 and it's definately better. I also checked out some 'reviews' on the web from various 'named mags' and not one of them even mentioned the POWERFX... hmmmm, mebbe they were old reviews, but even if they weren't not one either mentioned the E-WIRE ability to add fx (previous older system) from inside sequencer. It's hard to say therefore wether these mags just didnt try it, or wanted to keep their advertiser shweet!

anyways, SX2 works alot better - you can apply FX, and on this machine SX sems to be behaving itself ok, no crashes or lockups etc

you can add POWERFX as inserts or as a SEND effect such as a reverb inserted into an effects channel - These fx can be rendered to a new file which worls great, but... it cant seem to fo it 'offline', if you go to render without the REAL-TIME EXPORT checkbox ticked you get an error message refferring you to check export/render settings

however, put it into REAL-TIME EXPORT mode and although it's slower to render, the resulting file has the effect encoded into it perfectly, just as heard in realtime mode!

excellent!- i messed with the reverb... not great, certainly not a 'top-quality' reverb, but a bloody GREAT reverb for classic old style dub, a really authentic plate-ish sound!

the compressors are a little harsh, but quite useable

anyways... oh yes.... the plugin-delay compensation that is supposed to be included in SX doesn't work in terms of compensating for added E-MU card-dsp-based fx... so for example, if you want to add a reverb as a send effect, you must apply an E-DELAY COMPENSATOR e-mu dsp plugin into the insert slot of everything otherwise the reverb return is out of sync with all tracks playing back and sounds like a delay

adding an insert E-MU DSP PowerFX effect to any track, & it's the same...... ALL other tracks playing must have a delay compensator added or they will be ahead of the channel utilising the DSP insert, and thus out of sync

however, the good news is you can create BUS's and route tracks to one or more bus's for a submix and add a SINGLE e-mu dsp plugin delay compensator THERE, so you dont then have to add one for every blasted individual track!

you cant win in this game can you.... the behringer BCF's work like a dream with Logic but have a few limitations in SX, with this it's the other way round - lol SX has the upper hand with this card's DSP abilities it seems so far

hope this is useful, more to come

Message 28/36             04-Mar-05  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

wired up the additional outs to a loom last night and setup a 4 stereo out mix in Logic, all works fine once you get the jist of the way the patchmix works. It's slightly confusing because the MONITOR out pair is also the main DOCK OUT 4L/4R (OUT's 7/8). Anyways, nice crisp clean sound, no problems with logic for this. It'd be nice to have an ADAT rack converter to try the other 8 outs/in's

Message 29/36             05-Mar-05  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

damballah

I gots a fucusrite pre with adat out feeding the lightpipe input on the card and pretty much use that with the snake coming in from my iso room for tracking whatever acoustic shit I got going on with the breakout box handling what goes on in the control room. works fine.

Message 30/36             02-Apr-05  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

took the bugger into the studio today for a live session.... hmm... all wired up ok and worked well enuff, but, one odd thing

when you hit 'record' on Logic, it just paused, but for like 30 seconds or so, then it would start to record.... well odd! - like the LOGIC was thinking about it for a while before actualy starting to record... not sure why that happened, but if it cant be rectified without a driver update then as a multitrack with Logic something's amiss... it works, but you'd look a bit stupid in a session having to wait 30 seconds every time you hit record.... investigation to be done to see what it can be... otherwise everything was ok and the sound recorded was fine, nice and crisp!

anyone else tried recording 6-8 simultaneous tracks with the e-mu & had any probs with that 'pause' ?

Message 31/36             21-Apr-05  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

oddly it was also doing it the other day recording single audio vocal overdubs... weird  

Message 32/36             27-Apr-05  @  01:30 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

hmm... just had some time to try this with SX.... works fine with SX, there's no delay when you go to record. It's instant as it should be, so dammit this is a logic (5.5 pc) & e-mu issue, rats!!

Message 33/36             04-Apr-06  @  03:44 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

damballah

OK, it's been, what, a little over a year and this fucker took a big ol' shit on me.

dead dead dead.

lurvely.

Message 34/36             04-Apr-06  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

no way! blimey, I hope mine will be ok! - does the card show up in the PC system, or is the actual card dead or the breakout unit?

Message 35/36             05-Apr-06  @  05:25 AM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

damballah

it seems like the card. trying to sort it out here. i've had issues with the breakout, which emu claims is power supply related -- if the psu doesn't deliver enough juice, the breakout doesn't do it's whole reset routine and all the lights on the front light up. but I've switched to the 1212 daughter card and not getting any sound from that I/O either and I'm about to try the ADAT and spdifs. emu's advice: download the latest drivers and patchmix app. hey, just cause mine went tits up doesn't mean yours will.

Message 36/36             05-Apr-06  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: E-Mu 1812m - wow!

k

true, yeah, when i first used the 1820m I assumed the power lead was only required if one used the firewire port.... nope!... it needs that 12v connection

overall i'm happy with it as a standalone device. The fx I don't really have any use for cos of the latency correction hassles rather than quality.... the sound is nice, not hugely different to decent budget stereo cards, but yes, it's nice & defined... not the best drivers tho that's for sure. Sometimes for no good reason and totaly randomly, the pc using it will suddenly reset... otherwise it's ok, apart from this delay when you hit record which I STILL cant find a fix for.. other people I have seen online use it with Logic PC and there's no delay before record starts, on mine there's a 20 second delay after you hit record before the song starts to play/record.... odd

Viewing all 36 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 36 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot