aaa newbie needs 2-step beat help - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: newbie needs 2-step beat help

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/19             14-Jan-05  @  04:51 AM   -   newbie needs 2-step beat help

CJ

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hey,

I've reviewed the posts here and some of the files but I'm still looking for info to get me started. I just want to start with the basic 2-step (boom cha boom-cha) beat but I cannot figure it out.

Many of the beats here which say "2-step" have snares on 2&4 but I think a basic 2-step has one or more snares in different places. But I am just getting into this some maybe I am missing something...

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             14-Jan-05  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

milan

Link?: Link

here, check this out: http://txc-xxx.tripod.com/index/id4.html

believe it or not, its a page showing newbies how to program various 2step beats  

Message 3/19             14-Jan-05  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

CJ

Help!

Thanks milan btw...

I did review that site before posting but those beats are primarily backbeats though the grime beat has claps on the threes so I guess it is what you'd call half-time. If there is such a thing as THE traditional 2-step, I am still looking.

Thanks again

Message 4/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:29 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

disclaimer: I claim complete ignorance on the genre.

But from what I think I know about it, it's fast innit. That would be called double time.
The basic backbeat with a snare on 2 and 4 is normal time. A backbeat with a snare on every 3 would be halftime. Doubletime would put the snare on the "ands". See the diagram.

(at least, these are the terms I use with studio drummers with relatively universal agreement)

So wouldn't a doubltimed basic backbeat give you a basic two-step beat?

Message 5/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:30 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

hmm, didn't add the grid

Message 6/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:31 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

yeah, k... the drum grid don't work. is this what someone else was talking about in another thread...?

Message 7/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:45 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

trying with IE instead of Mozilla

Message 8/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:45 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

[sighs]

Message 9/19             15-Jan-05  @  06:58 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

CJ

psylichon,

Thanks but the beat(s) have a disjointed feel - not simply double time I believe. The snares seem to be displaced in some manner and of course they are sped up a lot. I'm thinking Hardstep stuff like Dred Bass "Technology"

In any case I'd like to start with confirmation of THE traditional two step pattern [if there is such a thing] and start improvising from there.

Any specific help would be great

Message 10/19             15-Jan-05  @  07:11 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

psylichon

Message 11/19             15-Jan-05  @  07:28 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

CJ

psylichon

Thanks - example #4 has the first backbeat moved up by a 16th - that may be it. I just wonder if that is the 2-step everyone talks about. Time to set it up in midi

Thanks very much

Message 12/19             15-Jan-05  @  11:32 AM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

k

Link?:  Link

yeah sorry, when we upgraded the froums we didnt get time to write the code for this forum so the grid doesnt work, but it'd be no good for this anyways, we need a new drum-grid design so finer beats can be added.

anyways, dont have time now to make a visual examples, but your classic 2-step is sorta fragmented sounding, skippy hats nd a breakbeat sorta kik & snare which skips off the second kik beat & snare on 4, variations around the second kik can be little grace fills of kik etc, as long as it holds the groove

why doncha get some beats off the www and copy them to see the timing?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/19             15-Jan-05  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

milan

CJ... you're on about the DNB 2step???

why didnt you bloody say so in the first place. most people mean uk garage when they say 2step nowadays!

umm... i cant show you since the grid dont work, but if u have a 1/16th beat grid, kick falls on 1 and 11, main snare on 5 and 13, and trick is to add much lower additional snares on 8 and 10 combined with hats on 9 and 11 (those bits are the ones you have to experiment with)

Drep? as in Ray Keith? afaik, he uses amen breaks in 90% of his tunes, and that shit gets way comples to explain in a simple manner.

Message 14/19             15-Jan-05  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

milan

here, check this thread: http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/forums/thread.cfm?show_all=1&threadid=30078&messages=27&chatter_id=4&age=&step_rowcount=1&step_messagecount=1&start=1&end=27

Message 15/19             15-Jan-05  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

CJ

thanks k and milan

I understand the 16ths milan so thanks for taking the time to share that. I've spent hours practicing and searching the web.

This beat has backbeat snares so the disjointed feel I hear may be coming from:

1) the broken hats
2) a second snare line played over the basic DnB 2-step groove

appreciate the help...I'm off to experiment

Message 16/19             15-Dec-05  @  05:33 PM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

k

test

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 17/19             20-Dec-05  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

Dominic

I've put a beat in the grid. Not sure if it's the grime/dubstep basic beat you're after. The impotant thing is to make sure your tempo is at 140 bpm.

I'll repost with another basic grime/dubstep beat.

Message 18/19             20-Dec-05  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

Dominic

Hmmm, the grid hasn't worked. Oh well we'll have to wait for K.

Message 19/19             20-Dec-05  @  07:02 PM   -   RE: newbie needs 2-step beat help

k

it doesnt work now we changed all the forums, i should remove it actualy. Best to add a midifile as an attachment - sorry

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot