aaa a quick circle of 5th question - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: a quick circle of 5th question

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             23-Mar-05  @  12:50 PM   -   a quick circle of 5th question

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello, if I see a simple chord progression notated as i - iv - v7 then what does the 7 on the fifth represent. If my simple chord progression in A minor is Am, Dm the Em, am I s'possed to add a seventh on the Em chord so instead of a triad its got 4 notes. What would that chord be - a c e g. with G being the added 7th?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             23-Mar-05  @  01:11 PM   -   RE: a quick circle of 5th question

Drop

sorry, i meant would an Emin7 (the 5th chord of A minor) be e, g, b, d ?

Message 3/7             24-Mar-05  @  01:41 AM   -   RE: a quick circle of 5th question

damballah

Link?: Link

yes

Message 4/7             24-Mar-05  @  04:20 AM   -   RE: a quick circle of 5th question

psylichon

in the "natural minor" (aeolean, or relative minor... Amin is the relative minor of Cmaj), the 5 chord makes up a minor 7th. In much western music since the classical eras, composers have used a major 7th on the dominant chord scale when in a minor key (in your example, the V7 would be e, g#, b, d) which is also called the "harmonic minor"

I know... tmi...

Message 5/7             24-Mar-05  @  10:05 AM   -   RE: a quick circle of 5th question

dominic

Thank you very much guys. Psy - you're always so bloody helpful. Just another quick 3 question -

1. do you guys regularly add 6th and 9th notes to your major chords within your chord progressions?

And

2. Is it true that minor to minor chord progressions sound weak and its always better to go from a major to minor or a minor to major in chord progressions? (I find some of this theory stuff on the internet is confusing and contradictory)

And

3. Is it true that power chords only contain the root and fifth? Why are they called power chords and why do you use them? Is it only for rock music?

Message 6/7             24-Mar-05  @  03:40 PM   -   RE: a quick circle of 5th question

Dominic

Also, if an augmented chord sound is the same as a minor 6th, how can this be as there is no minor 6th chord in a natural, harmonic or melodic minor scale. Do people mean the same as a minor 6th in a major scale?

Message 7/7             24-Mar-05  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: a quick circle of 5th question

craig

I sometimes use 9ths but rarely 6ths. Too dissonant.
A power chord contains only a root and fifth, and optionally an ocatve. They are called power chords because that's how they sound   You do primarily find them in guitar music, but I find them useful because they fit everywhere - they're not major, or minor, or anything. You can place them under or around pretty much anything, as long as the root note is in key.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot