aaa computerless - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: computerless

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             01-Apr-05  @  07:12 AM     Edit: 01-Apr-05  |  10:37 AM   -   computerless

welder

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Cheers Folks,

Well, I guess sooner or later it just happenes to everyone, who's building and maintaining his or her own desktop... and I could consider myself lucky that it had happened to my machine, and not someone elses, coz I used to help out others with these stuff. So I just went out, and bought a second 512MB DDR module to upgrade ti 1GB and then somehow I managed to put it in the mobo in the wrong way... (yeah, not enough light, shite chassis, me being an asshole, etc...)

Looks like that either the mobo' (ASUS K8V SE Deluxe) or the CPU (Athlon 64, two month old) or both with even the RAM is fried. I took the whole thing apart, built it together again, as minimal as possible, even resetted the BIOS settings. Well, its gone. So now I'm going to be a bastard and bring back the MB and the CPU together to the place where I bought them and say it was ok in the evening and in the morning it just didn't worked, and hope that they'll be stupid / nice enough to replace it...

edit: and after looking at is a bit harder and thinking about it for the 400th time: I'm pretty sure that I didn't put that ram into the slot in the wrong way, it's almost impossible to do it without damage and close down the module so...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             01-Apr-05  @  02:13 PM   -   RE: computerless

k

Link?:  Link

you cant put ram in the wrong way round, it's impossible cos of the slot line-up thingy

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/4             02-Apr-05  @  03:44 AM     Edit: 02-Apr-05  |  03:44 AM   -   RE: computerless

psylichon

I was about to say... putting modern RAM in backwards is quite an impressive feat.

I assume you've cleared the CMOS (is that what you meant by resetting bios?)

Any other parts (CPU's, RAM chips, etc.) laying around you could swap out to do the process of elimination thing?

Don't feel bad, I cracked an Athlon core trying to seat a heat sink once. Dough! At least it was only me mum's 'puter  

Message 4/4             02-Apr-05  @  09:25 AM   -   RE: computerless

welder

Yeah, I cleared the CMOS. The only thing I couldn't change and try was the processor. Anyway I bought back the processor+cpu to the shop, and the guy couldn't do figure out more than I could so he sent it back to the dealer. Its two weeks if I'm lucky, several months if they can't figure out whats wrong (so they send it back to ASUS, or whatever), or they could say it's not covered by the warranty.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, yeah, now we've been testing the memory on my pal's CP and it is simply not possible to put it the other way around.

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot