aaa MIDI not keeping time in SX - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: MIDI not keeping time in SX

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             12-Apr-05  @  10:17 PM   -   MIDI not keeping time in SX

Jock Munro

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

ok, I havent used cubase sx for about a month, since then I've installed/uninstalled various bits of unrelated software on the PC. Then Dell PC support managed to fuck the PC up to the point where I was getting blue screens all over the place. Anyway I managed to do a system restore... all this could be irrelevant, but it sounds pretty suspect... because now when I open up an old .cpr file to remix ALL the midi is out of sync.

I've tested it with a 2 bar bass drum pattern. The note starts right on the first bar, and subsequant beats afterwards, perfectly quantinsed. thats what it looks like in list edit. BUT there is a significant delay of about half a second before you hear the audio.

I've made no changes to my outboard gear, and when I play it in real time there is no delay at all.

So does anyone know WHY all of a sudden Cubase SX has gone completely tits up and has this horrific delay before triggering my kit ?

What settings do I need to check or adjust to resolve this ? Is it worth reinstalling my soundcard drivers or something like that ?

I need HELP !!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             13-Apr-05  @  04:39 PM   -   RE: MIDI not keeping time in SX

k

Link?:  Link

BUT there is a significant delay of about half a second before you hear the audio.

sorry mate not sure what you mean by that - do you mean:

the audio playing from audio tracks in SX is late compared to the outboard midi stuff being triggered from midi tracks in the same sx song?

if yes, that's kinda wierd cos driver latency doesnt relate to playback usualy. Usualy you can use any old shite soundcard for playback as long as realtime playing of s/w isnt required - or do you have a seperate midi & audio-card device?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/4             18-Apr-05  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: MIDI not keeping time in SX

Jock Munro

The original problem was that there was a delay when a MIDI track played, of about half a second, before the outboard gear would sound. So even if you had one midi track with just a standard 4/4 bass drum. You can see on in the list editor that its programmed right on the beat where it should be. But it wont actually trigger the outboard until half a second afterwards, and its not keeping any time at all.

I've been reading stuff in this forum about the Sync settings in SX. I've been playing around and have been getting changable results. However, I still cant get anything to sync up perfectly.

What I dont understand is what would cause it to loose time like this ? Why would these settings change within cubase by themselves ? Thats even if it is Cubase, it could be the soundcard, or the PC.

The sound card is an M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

I've already uninstalled and re-installed the drivers for the sound card. But still get the same problem.

Whats the recommended sync settings i should be using ?

Cheers

Jock

Message 4/4             19-Apr-05  @  08:49 AM   -   RE: MIDI not keeping time in SX

dARKSTATe

Possible problem with your midi interface? Or have you made sure you're not running stuff using the "EMULATED Midi Ports" that Cubase can see?

(i.e. have you moved the IgnorePortFilter file from the little sub folder in your SX installation into the root folder of SX, and then gone into Devices and switched off all the emulated ports, and made sure that midi tracks on your project only use the correct ports?)

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot