aaa quick supercheap PC build - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: quick supercheap PC build

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             21-Jun-05  @  04:10 PM   -   quick supercheap PC build

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

thought i'd give it a go with one of those cheap AMD64's - so went uptown and got some bits, nd it's damned cheap providing all works ok

the package was:

ASUS mini ATX motherboard - has onboard everything and only 2 PCI slots + AGP, however as most people require only one PCI slot for the audio card, why not!

200gb seagate 8mb cache drive

AMD64 3000 OEM chip

1GB stick of ddr400 3200 kingston ram

Arctic Lite AMD64 silent cooler

that's it, i'm going to use no floppy drive, and old 32x cdrw drive I have knocking around, and share the keys & screen using a switching box + alsdo I'm going to use an old standard size ATXA case i also have spare.

£265 quid! for those bits, which is soooooooo cheap, if you had to add a case & cd, keys & mouse, that'd be only a tad more - so around than 300 quid all in should be ok

I'm actualy building it to sit on a network and render video, but should be ok for music, lets see.... i dont have time to do a video-build for this sadly, but this is like the cheapest you can get an AMD64 using the old Socket 754 - For the later 939 pin you need different power supply etc, so this should be interesting for such a cheap price

Got all the bits from YoYotech (www.yoyotech.co.uk )

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             21-Jun-05  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: quick supercheap PC build

k

doh!.... the damned cooloer cant fit cos of the heatsink on the chipset... damn! - this particular cooler uses a lever and it cant drop down fully on one side cos the chipset heatsink is blocking it. I gotta go back and get a different heatsink tomorrow. Shame cos those Arctic-Cooling coolers are good value & quiet... oh well

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             22-Jun-05  @  07:34 AM   -   RE: quick supercheap PC build

welder

Link?: Link

I have a similar setup at home (AMD 64 2800, 1G RAM, etc etc...) and it is pretty powerful. For my Ableton Live based setup it takes a LOT of VST's to get over 50% CPU usage, a SIR reverb is around ~11 %. For Reason it's way too much, I wasn't able to get over 20%, it is impossible no matter what I do

It has been told before countless times, but a good quality power supply is highly recommended these days, even if the relative power consumption of the AMD64 is not so high (compared to eg. Intel chips), the whole system could drain a lot of current at startup... so I think it's definetly worth to go for a better unit if possible.

Message 4/8             22-Jun-05  @  07:52 AM   -   RE: quick supercheap PC build

k

i got a 400 watt supply even tho it's not going to run an agp card or an audio card. - just for rendering video. We need to get more reviews more regularly now for DT now that the 7161 updates are almost done, and the rendering is tying up things for too long. This way video can be shunted off to a dedicated machine to get on with it in the background.

tell you what, the price is looney-toons stuff for so much grunt. I will chuck in an audio card and try it to see what it'll run plugin wise, but it's not for that work.

Message 5/8             22-Jun-05  @  03:05 PM   -   RE: quick supercheap PC build

k

right... got a new coooler which looks like the power generator from the deathstar in StarWars - lol... lets go for it  

Message 6/8             22-Jun-05  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: quick supercheap PC build

k

done, OS install time

Message 7/8             22-Jun-05  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: quick supercheap PC build

k

Blimey!... 17 minutes to do a full XP install from scratch  

Message 8/8             23-Jun-05  @  12:20 AM   -   RE: quick supercheap PC build

k

Well it's got some grunt for the price. It's rendered 1/2 a video in 1.5 hours which on the amd2000 took about 6-7 hours

cool stuff, super bang for the buck man   - also it plays the realtime video preview bigger and smoother, and it was doing glow cross fade effects in that playback, all smoothly at a nice smooth watchable resolution. Wonder what it'll yeild with an audio device.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot