aaa I am at a complete loss here. PleaseHelp - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: I am at a complete loss here. PleaseHelp

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             17-Oct-05  @  03:03 AM   -   I am at a complete loss here. PleaseHelp

Influx

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

ok, so...cant boot into windows anymore. "Hardware Malfunction...Contact your (whatever)....system has halted"

no error code...just the above

SO...I started the testing process. Had recently purchased a used but known working motherboard

put that in, with just the vid card, master drive, one stick of 512mb ram and processor.

blue screen. same message. tried a different stick of RAM. same

so....I borrow a different stick of ram, known working (pulled from a working system)

same damn message

SO, I go to the shop and buy a power supply and vid card. Try those separately

SAME DAMN MESSAGE!!!!

so...the ONLY thing it can be down to now as far as I can tell is the processor, right?

system POST's fine, with either motherboard, and either 512mb OR 1GB ram...

just curious, but...would a virus do this? I guess I could run a bootup virus scan? but...Ive had Grisoft running since this computer was introduced to the net...

processor, mobo, and ram are original, purchased around the same time (approx 3 years) but I remember before I bought this ram (Crucial brand PC2100) I had some Mushkin PC2100 and got the same damned blue screen but only occasionally. Now it happens ALL the time. Before I would just power cycle and all would be fine usually. got to where I had to do it 2 or 3 times sometimes, and there would be times where it wouldnt restart when I used Windows to do so. would just power off instead. but...when it ran, it ran fine, which tells me the processor should have been ok, no?

Ive tried reinstalling windows, but get the same error..

so...it seems like Ive gone through all the options, to no avail! Im really, really confused....

oh...I even tried a brand new hard drive...borrowed from a friend...was just gonna install windows and see what happened, but couldnt even do that!

god...anyone have ideas?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             17-Oct-05  @  05:45 AM   -   RE: I am at a complete loss here. PleaseHelp

Rags

This is the printout, right?

SO you have changed everything, except the CPU. Also you have removed all peripherials, disk drives, CDROMs etc, it is only the MB, the ram and the CPU, video card + keyboard and mouse.

If it still says the same, then double check bios settings, there is the very remote possibility that you get the same alarm with the different (and correct) HW due to bios mis-configuration. If config is right it MUST be the CPU. Still this sounds really weird.

Hardware Malfunction Messages

Stop messages also take the form of hardware malfunction messages and, like all Stop messages, they are displayed in non-windowed text mode. These Stop messages occur after the processor detects a hardware malfunction, with the first one or two lines of the message containing a description. Depending on the HAL, the error text displayed can vary from one computer to another, even when similar components are involved. However, the error description typically points to a hardware problem, as shown in this example:

Hardware malfunction.
Call your hardware vendor for support.

The installed HAL determines the format and content of the message. Prior to proceeding with the recommendation provided by the message, it is best to contact the manufacturer for technical support. Record the information displayed after the first two lines of the message, as this might prove useful to the support technician.

Under certain circumstances, driver problems can generate Stop messages that appear to be related to a hardware malfunction. For example, if a driver writes to the wrong I/O port, the device at the destination port might respond by generating a hardware malfunction message. Errors of this kind, which are typically detected and debugged in advance of public release, underscore the need to periodically check for updated drivers.

So according to this, there must be an io devide in the system that is faulty,and this is detected by the processor. Hmmm... can't you just try to put your cpu into an another system to see if it works?

cheers,
Rags

Message 3/3             17-Oct-05  @  06:04 AM   -   RE: I am at a complete loss here. PleaseHelp

Influx

well, like I said...I tried another motherboard, with the same processor. mobo was used but known working.

still got the error

actually...the more I think about it, the more I see that the processor is the only thing untested. If I knew someone with a system that would take this processor...a known working system with all components 100%, I could finalize the test

but, alas, I dont

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot