aaa midi question - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: midi question

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18             04-Jan-06  @  11:25 AM   -   midi question

Jerm

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

well..this is kind of hard for me to explain, so bare with me

first of all, i have the Alesis Ion Synth, the E_MU 1820M soundcards, with the emulator X studio software and all that crap...it also came with Cubase LE, i thought was great b/c i want to later upgrade to Cubase SX3 after i can understand the fundementals of cubase in general...

right off the bat, i come across a problem, cant figure it out so i thought id bring it here...

ok, the question is...how do i record with my ion via midi.....but using the ion sounds... they say that the ion is '4-part multi-timbral' (which means it can play up to 4 sounds at a time right???)
i add a midi track in cubase, i set the output back to my ion, and set the bank and program numbers to the right stuff in cubase, (its right because it finds the sound i want on the ion)..i then keep the midi channel on 1 on both cubase and the ion..i record..um..say a kick drum track..basic..trying to see if what im trying to do will work..

next...i add another midi track in cubase, i set the bank and program numbers up to a snare from the ion, with cubase...i change the midi channel to 2 on both cubase and the ion... i record it. i then return to zero to see if it works...and all thats plays back is the snare...i dont get the kick..i see the meter on the kicks midi channel in cubase is showing data, but not getting anything but the snare from the ion..

so how can i get mulitple sounds from the ion to play all at once with midi??

any help would be much appreciated..

Thanx

Jerm

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             04-Jan-06  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: midi question

SDUB

Link?: Link

well timbre is the sound charecteristic ie:

tim·bre n. -The combination of qualities of a sound that distinguishes it from other sounds of the same pitch and volume.

anyway, Are you talking about a drumkit??? on the ion, if so then just program a beat with the bass kick and the snare all at once?

Message 3/18             04-Jan-06  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: midi question

k

Link?:  Link

yeah keep the drums all on one channel but you can have seperate tracks of course for each drum if you wanna do it like that.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/18             05-Jan-06  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: midi question

Jerm

like i said, forgive me for i am new...

i dont know if im talking about a drum kit... i mean, i dont have any synth drum samples...the emulatorX came with a buncha stuff, but its REAL drums..and naaah..not the sound im looking for..so im just experimenting with the ion, b/c of all the knobs and filters and stuff you can tweak the sounds...

and when i used kick and snare in the above example...it was just an example as to how do i record 2 sounds from the ion at the same time using the ion as a midi controller too...b/c i cant figure it out...

.....and can you explain to me how to program a drum beat with them on the same channel? my ion doesnt have a sequencer on it btw...

Message 5/18             05-Jan-06  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: midi question

milan

hmm... are you sure ion is in its multitimbral mode at all?

or whats this: "i change the midi channel to 2 on both cubase and the ion"

your kick track in cubase should be set to midi ch1, and snare track to midi ch2. then there should be a page in ion's menus where you set which sound plays on which midi channel. have you got that right?

Message 6/18             05-Jan-06  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: midi question

k

yup, ION has to be in multitimbrel mode

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/18             06-Jan-06  @  10:26 AM   -   RE: midi question

k

just a question - surely the ION has a 'drums' preset which has lots of drums, one to each key, yes?

so in that case you want to keep each midi track in cubase on the same channel as the drums preset is assigned to in the Ion when it is set into Mulittimbrel mode... then you can sequence each individual drum on a seperate track if that's what you really want to do, but I suggest you use cubase drum map... if you dont know how to use it we do have a tutorial video up on the site in the articles section. It's kinda odd to do one drum-sound per track in cubase.

Message 8/18             06-Jan-06  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: midi question

Jerm

k wrote:

just a question - surely the ION has a drums preset which has lots of drums, one to each key, yes?

well.. i havent seen anything like that...ill keep looking tho...

k wrote:

Its kinda odd to do one drum-sound per track in cubase.

like i said....im just tryingn to learn all of this stuff..soo..thanks for the advice

ill check out that tutorial this weekend and see if thats helps to explain a little bit more..

Message 9/18             07-Jan-06  @  12:23 PM   -   RE: midi question

k

it's normal for synths to have 'drum' presets... some synths such as supernova which are modelling synths, dont have samples of different drums, so they have for example a kikdrum sound as one preset, which covers the whole key-range, from bottom key right up to the top, and each key you hit simply plays the kik-sound higher or lower in pitch depending where you are on the keyboard scale.

synths which have samples as well as modelling sounds or only sample-based sounds, usualy have 'drum' presets which have one drumsound/sample on each individual key making a drum sound kit of many different samples/sounds

so, IF your Ion has a drumsound preset with many drumsounds, that's the preset you want of course.

To use it in that circumstance, set the ION into multi-timbrel mode - where you assign presets to midi channels so the Ion will play multiple sounds on multiple channels midi it is receiving from a sequencer.

The Ion has 64 different Multi-timbral Setups, allowing you to create up to 64 different setups with different sounds assigned to different channels....so you are ok there

BUT, as it's a modelling synth, i doubt it has a preset (Programme) with lots of drumsounds... so, really you're going to need to use a drum-software player and samples to do your drums and re-enforce those drums with other individual drumsounds from the ion

do you understand?.... it's probably hard to grasp if you aint used to this stuff, but if the ion has ONE drumsound per PROGRAMME (preset sound), AND has more than one drumsound (besides the usual modelling sounds these type of synths CAN do such as analog-kik/analog-snare/analog-toms, then you could only ever create a drumtrack with those sounds.... that means no cymbels, or other types of drumsounds which qould be very limiting.

So, the answer is to use a software drum player & samples inside Cubase and add to that any Ion sounds you want... however, to play s/w drumsounds from a s/w drum player VSTinstrument in realtime, sadly you'll need a soundcard with fast ASIO/WDM drivers....

as i said, checkout the ASIO4ALL drivers which might work with your onboard soundcard... if that workds, fine, if NOT, you'll have to buy an asio soundcard which as i mentioned start at around 50 quid (e-mu 0404, m-audio audiophile, esi Juli@, etc etc)

Message 10/18             07-Jan-06  @  01:37 PM   -   RE: midi question

Jerm

well..first of all...i do have a badass sound card...the e-mu 1820M which comes with the 1010 pci card, the audio dock or breakout box.., and a sync daughter card with a word clock in/out, smpte in/out, and a mtc out...havent dont anything with the sync daughter card yet, cuz frankly dont know anything about it but...will learn at a later date

now, about the ion...it doesnt use samples...like you said, its only a modeling synth..which means ill have to use a software drum player for my drum beats.right?..which my sound card can handle
thanx for explaining this to me...i appreciate it..

btw..which s/w drummer would you suggest??

Jerm

Message 11/18             07-Jan-06  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: midi question

milan

s/w drums? Native Instruments Battery probably... check out their website. pretty easy to use, but still offers lots of features if you need them. otherwise maybe Hallion or another s/w sampler, but Battery is still better because you can tweak every individual drum sample without affecting the rest.

if you need drum samples there's a shitload on this website in the "files" section! my drum folder is nearing 1Gb, and most of them were free downloads

Message 12/18             07-Jan-06  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: midi question

k

sorry, got you mixed up with the other guy in another thread whos got a lo-end soundcard. Yeah, Battery is good and cheap, Linplug do a good drum player too, fxpansion too, there's many to choose from, and some freebies also

Message 13/18             08-Jan-06  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: midi question

sox

Try going to MIDI channel 10....

That's where the drumkits probably are....
not MIDI channel 1 or 2.....

sox

Message 14/18             09-Jan-06  @  01:06 AM   -   RE: midi question

k

dude, it's a 8 note x 3 osc modelling synth, (afaik) i don't think it's got 'drums' in that sense

Message 15/18             09-Jan-06  @  03:19 AM   -   RE: midi question

Jerm

yeah K, i searched and searched, and i see no drum kits..read the manual and havent seen anything about the GM midi stuff either or whatever its called..
so what i did, is i d/led the free LinPlug RMF drum sampler from this website...all i need now is samples i reckon....i looked into the Native Instruments Battery 2...looks like a pretty good program i may invest in later, but for now i think ill just stick to figuring this stuff out first before i start forking over more money into a bunch of stuff i hardly know about right now anyway...lol...

oh, you said the ion doesnt have drums in that sence...you are right..in that sence anyway, i mean, it does have drums, but not like a kit or anything..kicks, snares, and hi hats in with all the other synths and pads...

well i appreciate all of you guys' help..good to know theres a website forum out here with people that actual try an help other people instead of them to just reply with "read the manuals!" and "figure it out..i had to" and of the like...

and those 3 cubase video tutorials were the bomb!! props to whoever's idea that was

i guess thats it for this thread...but more than likely you'll be hearing from me again

thanx again
Jerm

Message 16/18             09-Jan-06  @  08:27 AM   -   RE: midi question

milan

there's some drum kits in the files section, select from the drop menu in the upper right corner. also, try this one http://www.analoguesamples.com/samples.asp?category=drums .

search google for "drum samples" etc etc... there's lots out there.

good luck, and welcome  

Message 17/18             09-Jan-06  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: midi question

Jerm

thanx again milan

Message 18/18             09-Jan-06  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: midi question

sox

today I will be mostly saying "..ooops"

sox

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot