aaa tuition / help still required - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: tuition / help still required

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             17-Dec-06  @  11:42 AM   -   tuition / help still required

rob the 303 man

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have learned the basics so far, I have a MPC and a few VST's I stuggle writing an entire song, so far I only seem to be making like 2 bar loops. here is a clip. its crap I know, but it gives you an idea!! http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=569285
sorry I didnt reply to the last one, my computer started to play games!!

any hints other than dont give up your day job and your crap would be most welcome when I try and extend the songs it sounds too linear and not quite right!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             22-Jan-07  @  10:35 PM   -   RE: tuition / help still required

casparproject

Link?: Link

Hey Rob,

Above I have written a Cminor scale, as a starting point. C, the first note, is the "root", it's the
note that you will generally want to start and end your loop with, just for a start. G, the fifth note,
is the "dominant", it's the note that tends to lead to the "root". So, let's start really simple, and
write a bassline that goes C, G, C. It probably doesn't sound that hot, but at least it will show
you how the dominant 'leads to' the tonic. Now let's write a melody or someting ok? Look at
your bass notes, there are specific notes that sound good with those notes in Cminor. On the
C's you'll prolly want to use some Eb's and G's (C, Eb, G is a "Cminor triad"). On the G's you'll
prolly want to use some B's and some D's (G, B, D is a "Gmajor triad") Other than that, just try
to stick to the notes in the scale (as written above, for now) and it should enable you to create a
melody that moves around a bit. Next, try doing the same thing, but put a few more bass notes
between the first C and the G (ie. C, Eb, D, F, G, C) and try writing melodies using what you
thing the triads for those notes may be. Hope that keeps you busy for a bit!

Peter

Message 3/7             22-Jan-07  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: tuition / help still required

admin

sounds ok, horns a bit loud, sounds like you recorded it off speakers via a mic' ?

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Message 4/7             22-Jan-07  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: tuition / help still required

admin

test

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Message 5/7             23-Jan-07  @  12:06 AM   -   RE: tuition / help still required

admin

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
                        x   x x   x   x x   x   x                        

test

Message 6/7             23-Jan-07  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: tuition / help still required

admin

ha, i have server access direct now so i could fix that in the database   - forgot it wasd turned off tbh, we shud tart it up visualy.. it was setup back in 97 after all

Message 7/7             23-Jan-07  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: tuition / help still required

casparproject

Link?: Link

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
                        x   x x   x   x x     x x                        

thanks dude

(you showed melodic minor [ascending] though, I was talking harmonic minor, though I didn't
specify, so it's my bad)

there it is, Cminor harmonic

this one will really impress the ladies

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)