aaa I need help finding the best recording interface - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: I need help finding the best recording interface

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             14-Jun-07  @  04:34 AM   -   I need help finding the best recording interface

fizzybob

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've got a 12 channel mixer and the following pc specs..
win xp 64 pro
cakewalk sonar 4
4gb ram
about 6+ usb2 ports, 4 firewire ports, an extra cat 5 cable port
3gb sata drives on a 3gb interface
AMD 64 3000/1.8GHz cpu

I built this rig to do two things, play games and record music. what i'd like to do is record into sonar via left/right channel 1/4" cables, phonos, or xlr. Everything from mics to instruments go through the mixer so i only need two inputs. I'd also like to record both channels while playing sonar tracks on the same computer so can layer new tracks on top of recorded ones live.. haven't gotten that far into the cakewalk manuals but i'm guessing this is possible.
What i'm missing is the recording interface.. firewire, usb, pci, xlr, 1/4", phono, what's the fastest or best quality recording interface i can get that works in sonar for under $500? i'd like to aim for something around $200-$250.
Thanks for any advice

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             15-Jun-07  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: I need help finding the best recording interfa

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

go pci for reliability and lowest latency, i recommend the ESI JULI@ but for a little less the m-audio audiophile 24/96 has a long track record as the number 1 seller budget stereo i/o card

the julia has very low latency tho and i like it's drivers. It also has DIRECTWIRE which allows you to stream from one app live into another in realtime

as for how to wire it up, what mixer make/model is it exactly? and do you use outboard midi kit like synth/s etc?

btw, for recording with a mic' you'll also need a preamp, but they start at 30 quid for a behringer cheapie. I always think it's better to get a pci card and a seperate mic pre-amp cos you can then upgrade the pre-amp as you go and you'd have to have one amazing expensive pre-amp before a soundcard like the Juli@ or the audiophile 24/96 would start to be the weak link

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot