aaa Just had to brag - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Just had to brag

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             29-Jun-07  @  09:11 AM   -   Just had to brag

psylichon

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I just built myself a new box for PT M-Powered and Sonar. Ended up building the Allenstein Quadzilla from the DUC nearly to the original spec. So using Opteron 275s, I've got a dual-dual-core for 4 cores running at 2.2 GHz each. With 4 gigs of memory. And a terabyte of fast storage. For less than $1600

The test is to see how many instances of Digidesign's stock reverb plugin you can run on a 32-track session and still record on all tracks. I've gotten up to 187 so far!

Then there's the "poor-man's SSL"... 32-tracks all with Waves SSL channel strip plugs bussed through SSL Bus Comp. CPU ended up around 15-20% for that one.

You can be running a huge mix at very low buffers with this thing... so a softsynth overdub on a whim in a heavy mix is no problem. Meters and overall system responsiveness also never seem to bog down with these many-core systems. I can't believe how responsive this things is. Some people are even building dual-quad-cores, but honestly I don't see the point in all that for at least a couple years.

I haven't tried it with Sonar yet, but I highly recommend it for any PT users... be it HD, LE, or M-Powered. It's amazing what $1600 will get you these days. I'm not gonna run 187 reverbs in any mix any time soon (Enya stopped calling), but it's nice to know I can if I want to (she'll be back)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             29-Jun-07  @  03:17 PM   -   RE: Just had to brag

k

Link?:  Link

wow! sounds mega, and really still quite cheap for the bitz it gives as a build. But can the s/w actualy utilise the 4 cores in reality? or are you seeing the loading based on the s/w actualy using only 2 cores?

it sure sounds beefy tho mate!... i can easily run 32 ssl's as you define on our amd2000xp, but admittedly not at 15% loading, more like 40-50% in logic 5... how's it with convolution reverbs? do u use them?

that make an awesome video machine fer sure anyways!

I'm not gonna run 187 reverbs in any mix any time soon (Enya stopped calling),

lol

how long did it take to build & what OS is running?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/3             14-Jul-07  @  08:54 AM   -   RE: Just had to brag

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

$1600??? Not in rip off fucking britain mate!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)