aaa more than 8 gigs of ram....? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: more than 8 gigs of ram....?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             02-Oct-07  @  11:36 AM   -   more than 8 gigs of ram....?

rags .aka. welder

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

As far as I could see, there is no motherboard supporting more than 8 gigs of ram... and the largest memory modul availagle is 2 gigs...

Anybody any ideas how to build a machine with 16 gigs of ram...?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             02-Oct-07  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: more than 8 gigs of ram....?

k

Link?:  Link

you'd have to build on a dual server boards innit... not cheap at all

summink like this:

dabs link

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5             02-Oct-07  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: more than 8 gigs of ram....?

rags .aka. welder

Mhmmm, thanks for that link! I thought there must be something better than what ASUS can offer

Message 4/5             04-Oct-07  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: more than 8 gigs of ram....?

k

Link?:  Link

well i said it before. Alot of newcomers to electronic music dont have the past experience of using hardware samplers and dont therefore think 'memory conservation'. So they get their DAW with 2gb ram or whatever and load up a string patch to play a small string part in a section of the piece, and like usualy with strings, the part is contained within 1 or 2 octaves max, yet they load up a full 8 octave string patch to do this part and the other 6 octaves sit in ram doing nothing.

You can get alot out of your machine by loading a string patch (as an example sound) and then dumping the unrequired octaves of samples, then re-save the patch with a special name ("strings c3-c4" or whatever) and then use that, thus saving tons of sample memory. Do that with a few sample items and you can save alot before you even get to rendering sample parts to wav. It's the same with many drumkits which load tons of drums and yet we might only use some of the drums within that kit.

worth a thought for noobs

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/5             04-Oct-07  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: more than 8 gigs of ram....?

rags .aka. welder

Goodie, goodie. Also, on some samplers you can choose to load things in 16 bit only (and for rendering you can always switch back to 24 bit, which actually can take up twice as much memory as 16 bits because some samplers tend to store 24 bit samples on 32 bit dwords for performace reasons...)

BTW, this is more like a "sampler" forum question, but do you know any good "orchestral" sample collections? I used to use the one bundled with Reason, that was quite all right I think...

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)