aaa Anyone up for enharmonic spelling and modulations? - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Anyone up for enharmonic spelling and modulations?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             01-Feb-08  @  02:14 PM     Edit: 01-Feb-08  |  02:16 PM   -   Anyone up for enharmonic spelling and modulations?

capthook

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Just trying to start some theory conversation here!

An enharmonic modulation is basically a chord that is reinterpreted to fit into a second key. It is a *really* nice and chromatic way to get to distant keys from your tonic key. Enharmonic meaning a chord or tone that is the same chord or tone, but spelled different to fit into another key. For example:

- each tone in a fully diminished 7th chord can be considered a leading tone to the next tone up a 1/2 step.

Bº7 (b, d, f, a flat) b can be the leading tone to C--- "d" can be the LT to D flat, etc. this works for all fully diminished 7th chords. Each tone is a minor third in interval and there are two tritones in a 7º.

German augmented 6th chords "sound" like a dominant 7th, but in another key. The sol solfege is (Le, Do, Me, Fi) Le (flat 6th and FI #4, the inversion a diminished 3rd) create the augmented 6th interval, as well as in all the augmented 6th chords (French, German, and Italian).Since it sounds like a dominant seventh it can be enharmonically reinterpreted as the dominant or +6 in another key. For example: if you have a secondary function such as V7/IV--> you can go to IV (as expected) or the V7 becomes a Ger +6 of the key a MAJOR THIRD above the tonic of the original key.

So, if we are in the key of C Major, the V7/IV is the tonic chord, but with an added minor 7th to create a dominant chord---> C,E,G, B flat. Now, the chord ALSO looks and sounds as the Ger +6 of E Major b/c it can be looked at like c natural, e, g natural, and a sharp. As in all Aug 6th chords, the two tones that create the +6th need to BOTH spread out to the dominant tones, but use a cadential i 6/4 to avoid parallel fifths (if you are going for that type of sound).

I hope this helps out!

capthook

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             01-Feb-08  @  04:07 PM   -   RE: Anyone up for enharmonic spelling and modulati

k

ah!, excellent. i'll try that later with a guitar and respond

who are you btw? lol (I hate the mystery of it all)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5             01-Feb-08  @  05:52 PM     Edit: 01-Feb-08  |  05:57 PM   -   RE: Anyone up for enharmonic spelling and modulati

capthook

I'm capthook my good boy, that's of no importance though! I can tell you though that my avatar is the late, great composer Camille Saint-Saëns. This man had exuberant beauty spilling out from his soul onto the paper and I feel it every time I listen to his music! His symphony No. 3 in C Major "Organ" is a tear jerker and the story behind it is breath taking. Take care!

Message 4/5             01-Feb-08  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: Anyone up for enharmonic spelling and modulati

k

damn, this is going to do my head in wondering who you are

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/5             07-Feb-08  @  06:09 AM   -   RE: Anyone up for enharmonic spelling and modulati

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

This is interesting. I'd read this page more if there were more posts along these lines, though not being overly familiar with theoretical notation it did take me a while to work out what I think you are saying. Time blurs the memory.

Post more please.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot