aaa Cubase Essentials + VSTs vs Reason & Record - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Cubase Essentials + VSTs vs Reason & Record

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             16-Nov-09  @  10:17 PM     Edit: 16-Nov-09  |  10:18 PM   -   Cubase Essentials + VSTs vs Reason & Record

saz4

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all,

To cut a long story short:
It has been 5-6 years I haven't touched my gear (Access Virus, Waldorf Pulse, Mackie Mixer,
Cubase etc). As a student I used to spend loads of time producing psychedelic trance in the
above setup trying to get that perfect sound (never really succeeded but managed to be at a
level that I enjoyed what I was creating)

Now I want to get back into music making but this time:

1) i would like to create a electronic fusion with traditional music instruments from the
southern-eastern mediterranean (I play a few of them) So I would also be looking into
recording some live instruments on top of the samples & synth lines.

2) I have much less free time than when I used to be a student. So I am looking into a setup
that can help me be as productive as possible and above all........have fun!

Would be interested to hear your opinions on whether you would go for a cheap version of
Cubase (e.g. Cubase Essentials), NI Battery and a few virtual fx libraries plus maybe a
hardware line6 guitar amp simulator or for the Reason/Record combination.

Cubase would be the obvious choice since I have used it in the past (long time ago so I would
still have a learning curve). On the other hand I hear that record/reason might be a better fit
for my situation where I want maximum productivity thanks to its simpler workflow. Guess I
dont really care about the best sound anymore but still wouldn't want it to be crap!

I know there is no right or wrong answer just curious about what people think!

thanks in advance!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             17-Nov-09  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: Cubase Essentials + VSTs vs Reason & Record

k

Link?: Link

well reason/record while great, can't sequence external MIDI, so your entire outboard would be out of the equation which seems a shame

i'd go for an 8-input audio device which usualy comes with a free copy of ableton or cubase le etc - try and find one which has cubase as the included freebie cos u can usualy upgrade

personaly my fav' 8-input bang for buck unit is the ESI ESP1010 a superb bit of cheap kit

then route your outboard into the on-board cubase mix in realtime using the 8 analog inputs on the audio-device (esp1010 or whichever) - all you have to do is put as many audio tracks as you need into INPUT-MONITORING mode, and the audio from your external hardware units (the virus etc) coming IN via the audio-device inputs, will appear in the mix on those tracks and can be mixed using the cubase mixer - you can even add realtime fx in cubase to any of those incoming external hardware audio streams/tracks

other such cheap/decent 8-input units (and the required mic pre-akp so you can record acoustic instruments as you require), are the m-audio delta 1010LT, lexicon omega studio (includes Cubase LE), Tascam US-1641 (includes Cubase LE 4) etc

thats what i'd do anyways, and i do that technique all the time in my own setup, which allows me to route real hardware outboard synths into any mix i'm doing on the DAW which is great!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             17-Nov-09  @  02:50 PM   -   RE: Cubase Essentials + VSTs vs Reason & Record

nutoniom

That Alesis MasterControl looks real nice spec wise and it comes with Cubase LE

Message 4/8             18-Nov-09  @  02:12 PM   -   RE: Cubase Essentials + VSTs vs Reason & Record

k

ouch! 900 euros mate!!

what about the alesis MULTIMIX USB 2.0 thingies? cos he could permenantly plumb his outboard into channels & he'd get the required preamp for mic

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/8             18-Nov-09  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: Cubase Essentials + VSTs vs Reason & Record

nutoniom

Well, he isn't a student anymore, maybe he's a doctor or something  

besides He didn't mention anything about price. I just think it's a great piece of kit, but yeah there's plenty of choice out there (allen & heath heheheh!!!)

Message 6/8             23-Nov-09  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: Cubase Essentials + VSTs vs Reason & Record

ahadjak

Link?:  No link

Hi and many thanks for your suggestions!

Yeah I am a bit more flexible with my budget, on the other hand this will just be a hobby and I ve left my perfectionist ego back by now.

but this MasterControl looks cool.

Would my Mackie mixer be obsolete or would I pass my external kit through that and use inserts to route individual channels to the multi-input sound card?

Shame Record doesn't do midi sequencing. Guess Cubase is the only way to go then.

Appreciate your help!

Message 7/8             23-Nov-09  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: Cubase Essentials + VSTs vs Reason & Record

nutoniom

well, if you're not going to have more external hardware than you have now, i'd say the mackie can
go, but...

If you get more kit , it'll come handy to submix into the MasterControl or whatever thinghie you decide
on.

I see some flagship smaplers from emu and akai go for ridiculous money these days, it's crazy

Message 8/8             25-Nov-09  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: Cubase Essentials + VSTs vs Reason & Record

k

well wait up - if you're talking 900 quid just for the audio interface (ok it's also a controller) and also talking about splashing out on:

Would be interested to hear your opinions on whether you would go for a cheap version of
Cubase (e.g. Cubase Essentials), NI Battery and a few virtual fx libraries plus maybe a
hardware line6 guitar amp simulator or for the Reason/Record combination.

well add that up and why dont you get an imac? and logic? you get SHITLOADS of content with logic, plus a quality drum machine, sampler (exs24 for which all 3rd party libraries are available) the best included fx out of logic/cubase (certainly they are good enuff that you dont have to get 3rd party ones) and all the apple loops and sample libaries which come with it - plus several quality synths and all the new guitar modelling stuff that's now in logic 9 (it's good)

that just leaves getting the mackie mix into the imac

IF you arent fussy to have 8-inputs fed into the mix in realtime, then a stereo i/o would do and that could be an Apogee Duet; and i can tell you the Duet quality is bloody supreme for the cash - wicked preamps (i've got one) nothing touches it and even with a cheap chinese mic the results are excellent

If u do want 8 inputs well there are firewire units available that arent so dear.

worth a thought - mac's are rather good and logic is so self contained with huge content.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot