aaa won't believe your ears - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: won't believe your ears

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             03-Aug-11  @  08:24 PM     Edit: 05-Aug-11  |  05:10 AM   -   RE: won't believe your ears

sitar

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

remember the good ol' days when sitar's drums sounded like country western recorded through a tin can? sadly, those days are officially over. i'm getting my head around this sound production thing. 

please give a listen and tell me i'm not bonkers in thinking there is some wow factor in this techno/breakbeat track. "Hoedown Throwdown" the attack on the bass is sweetness. 

thanks!

http://www.7161.com/css_track.cfm?track__dt_track_id=20702

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             06-Aug-11  @  06:24 PM   -   RE: won't believe your ears

sitar

my gameplan is this. my latest track has an intentional Prodigy feel to it. i like the way it came out. it also made me realize my kick on the track previous to that, a trance number, was still too small. i'm getting to know which compressors i want to use for what. i might do an Underworld type techno track next just to know that i can before trying another trance track or moving on to dub, something more up to date anyway. at the same time i've been going through a 90 minute Craig Anderton video i downloaded a few days ago. lots of good stuff in it. 

i still write music linearally in track view. i convert things like a 4/4 kick into a loop for ease of dragging it out through the track but Sonar has a powerful Matrix view in which you can place loops and trigger them as desired. it seems it could be a quicker way to produce a track. it's like punching things in and out in a live performance. any of you use this type of method for writing?   

Message 3/6             08-Aug-11  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: won't believe your ears

k

sitar wrote:

i still write music linearally in track view. i convert things like a 4/4 kick into a loop for ease of dragging it out through the track but Sonar has a powerful Matrix view in which you can place loops and trigger them as desired. it seems it could be a quicker way to produce a track. its like punching things in and out in a live performance. any of you use this type of method for writing?   

perhaps you might like ableton, but it'd mean learning a new sequencer.

also i dont get the 4/4 kick comment ? - surely a 4/4 kick in midi form is just a little midi clip the same as it would be if you converted it into an audio loop which would still be a small clip the same size

dont get that.

??
anyways i'll re-boot and have a listen. (gotta reboot to reset soundcard)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/6             08-Aug-11  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: won't believe your ears

sitar

k wrote:

also i dont get the 4/4 kick comment ? - surely a 4/4 kick in midi form is just a little midi clip the same as it would be if you converted it into an audio loop which would still be a small clip the same size

dont get that.

wherever i can i convert clips to loops in Sonar. they are acidized loops which can be dragged out ad nauseum by either end, forwards or backwards. it's easier to drag a loop out for 64 bars than to copy/paste 16 times. it's neater and also minimizes computer power on playback. if i need to edit 4 bars i split those bars from the others. i loop both midi and audio clips. i often convert midi to audio in order to change pitch easily or to apply some effect or other or split everything into transients to work those. jeeeez you'd almost think i had a clue what the fuck i'm doing haha. 

i hear a lot about Ableton Live but i'm going to stick with Sonar.

btw, there is a free open source program called Audacity 3.1.  i downloaded it for it's claim to be able to remove ambient noise from things like vocals recorded on cheap systems. it works a charm. in some cases you have to settle for a happy medium but in others it can effectively remove all background noise without effecting the sound you want to keep. it does a lot of other things as well, effects-wise but i've not used it for anything but removing noise.  

Message 5/6             08-Aug-11  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: won't believe your ears

k

audacity is ok UNTIL you want to save an mp3 file, then youi are in a world of hurt trying to get the correct lame codec (which they cannot include for copyright reasons)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/6             08-Aug-11  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: won't believe your ears

sitar

k wrote:

audacity is ok UNTIL you want to save an mp3 file, then youi are in a world of hurt trying to get the correct lame codec (which they cannot include for copyright reasons)

ah ok. i've been saving as wav files. i hadn't tried mp3. 

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)