aaa A new 64 bit DAW build. Opinions? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: A new 64 bit DAW build. Opinions?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             17-Aug-11  @  05:01 AM     Edit: 17-Aug-11  |  05:09 AM   -   RE: A new 64 bit DAW build. Opinions?

Optofonik

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

My XP machine works great but the new VST plugins that have peaked my interest of late aren't compatible (Komplete 8 for instance). So, I'm seriously considering moving on.

I'm hoping to keep the chassis, internal hard drives (4), DVD drives, EMU 1212m (64 bit Windows 7 drivers are currently in beta), two MidiSport 8x8s, as well as integrate the dockable OS drives. In addition I would like to be able to add one dockable data drive. I'd like to keep my Tascam US428 but, alas, Tascam is never going to release a 64 bit driver. I can't believe it may wind up in the trash.

I've done a little research but have been using XP for so long I don't really know where to begin.

This was the first place I came, posting as "rhyze", when I built my Win95 DAW about 12 years ago so it seemed appropriate I return.

I'm also curious about being able to use older 32bit VST plugins like "GRM tools", "Waves", "Ozone", "z3ta", "Korg Legacy" or Arturia's Moog Modular VSTi. I understand something called JBridge will do the trick but I wonder how well, especially with regard to automated mixing.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             17-Aug-11  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: A new 64 bit DAW build. Opinions?

k

hi mate, hows it goin?

yeah thats the 64bit issue, leaving old stuff behind

are you willing to do it?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9             21-Aug-11  @  06:23 PM     Edit: 21-Aug-11  |  06:24 PM   -   RE: A new 64 bit DAW build. Opinions?

Optofonik

Hey, K.

I'm glad to see the site still up and doing well. How many years has it been? Going on 15 at least?

It's going well enough here. The writer's strike a few years ago changed a lot of things for a lot of people in the business. I'm still booming but I've started doing more utility work than ever before and I've also been doing more television than feature film work. Los Angeles isn't the friendliest place to live but the work is here and the bills and union dues keep getting paid. The big non-work thing for me in California is it's a mecca for riding motorbikes; truly some of the best riding in the U.S. and, of course, the weather is almost always perfect for it.

I'm not in the immediate market to upgrade but I know from experience how much research needs to be done and how long it takes to insure a relatively painless transition. Not to mention the actual build time. I've transitioned to mostly software like everyone else which, of course, leads to upgrade fever.

I've grown to really appreciate booting into a project and having everything ready to go without referring to any notes especially since there is a lot of time between sessions since moving to L.A. Also, my XP install is rock solid these days and upgrading could run well into the mid four figures. Then there is the whole, "If it ain't broke don't fix it.", thing. My interest in 64 bit is due to RAM limitations in XP; newer VSTi, FX, and sample libraries love to gobble up the RAM.

BTW that mountain of synth hardware I used for so long is mostly stored but still easily accessible. Just in case. ;)

Message 4/9             22-Aug-11  @  02:35 PM     Edit: 22-Aug-11  |  02:36 PM   -   RE: A new 64 bit DAW build. Opinions?

k

i had no idea you wrote man, must be a fascinating industry; and yeah, Cali weather must be like spain, super biking weather. What you riding now?

anyway, so you don't fancy going mac then? it's all 64bit OS now, although not all programmes are of course (logic isnt yet), but mac is wonderfully self contained.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/9             25-Aug-11  @  04:58 AM   -   RE: A new 64 bit DAW build. Opinions?

Optofonik

Sorry, I gave you the wrong impression. I'm not a screenwriter. The writer's strike effected everyone inlcuding the rank and file such as myself. Television schedules changed as did the scheduling of pilots in the spring whch many looked forward to. Some people recovered well, some people got out of the business and others have continued to struggle years even after three years.

Anyway, I'm riding a '07 HD Sportster and a '04 Ninja 250. They're both a lot of fun. The Sporty I use mainly for longer road trips, camping, and commutes. The Ninja has been outfitted with saddlebags and relegated to daily errands and mountain twisties. I got an old VW camper I use on the rare occasion of inclement weather.

Yeah, the Mac thing... I'm a glutton for punishment and still like to roll my own. The computer I'm on now runs on XP and was assempled in '08. It sports an AMD quad Phenom with 4gig of ram, EMU 1212m, two Midisport 8x8 MIDI interfaces, two dual head video cards, four monitors - two are color managed NEC Spectraviews for Photoshop, three dockable/removable OS drives for audio recording, video/photography, and general testing, four different internal drives for samples, audio recording, photos, and video, two DVD-R drives, and even a floppy drive. In addition I have several SCSI CD-R drives I want to re-integrate for CD duplicating.

I would like to re-use as much hardare as possible, in particular the video cards, 1212m, and 8x8s. The Midisport 8x8 in particular is bombproof. I've had a love/hate relationship with the EMU, however.

None of this will happen till after the New Year but I'm really behind when it comes to the current state of the art so I need to start my re-education now. Heck, I only recently upgraded to a smartphone.

Mick

Message 6/9             26-Aug-11  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: A new 64 bit DAW build. Opinions?

k

lol, me too. I lost my trusty old nokia n95 & asked my sister give me her old iphone 3gs with a shattered front glass that she dropped... her kid was using it for playing angry birds, lol. Well it works. I wanted to try one and see what the fuss was all about; and the conclusion is they aint flashy those iphones, but they work

People see the iphone and say "Oh cool! you got that app that makes the glass look like it's broken!" lol, I have to say tho, the screen works 100% accurate even shattered,  which says something about the build quality of those things.

so you doin tv sound or graphic for tv or summink?

Message 7/9             12-Sep-11  @  04:37 AM     Edit: 12-Sep-11  |  04:40 AM   -   RE: A new 64 bit DAW build. Opinions?

Optofonik

I'm proud to be rank and file crew; a microphone boom operator. I did the music supervisor thing at a small production company at first but didn't like writing music at someone else's behest or, just as bad if not worse, directing someone else on what they should be writing. Booming has allowed me to travel and work in some really interesting, off the beaten path, places in America. I kinda love it. It pays the bills and, when I'm not working, allows me explore musical directions I couldn't if I needed to pay the bills as a "working musician" (I also get to ride my motorcycles a lot). All the admonitions about turning one's art onto one's vocation were, for me, very true. Also, much of what I do at work is very technical so I don't get any crossover burnout when I sit down to record music.

So, back to the  computer thing... I kinda forgot that I built my PC with an upgrade in mind. I was able to flash the bios to support an upgrade to a Phenom II x6 1100t and 8gb of RAM. I ordered an OEM WIN7/64 disk and am in the process of "ringing it out". Cubase 6/64 and Komplete 6/64 seem to be sussed out but it's gonna be a few weeks till I know for sure. The shocker? I was going to upgrade my PT 7.4 to 9 but discovered PT isn't 64 bit yet. Seriously??? Still, I may be able to get a discount through my union's education program if I take the PT seminar. If nothing else it keeps the upgrade path available for a very reasonable price when PT finally goes 64 bit. One can hope at least. Who knows with Avid.

One other thing (till there's more). The reverb in Kontakt totally boggles my CPU. The only way to get Kontakt to stop cackling like a witch on Halloween is to lose it's built in verb. Cubase's Reverence doesn't even hit my CPU like that. WTF is that about? I'm running 6 cores and 8gb of RAM. Any ideas?

"Going Mac" doesn't count as an " idea" either. ;)

Message 8/9             12-Sep-11  @  04:55 AM     Edit: 12-Sep-11  |  04:57 AM   -   RE: A new 64 bit DAW build. Opinions?

Optofonik

BTW. You've hidden "Rant, Drivel, and Slaggit" in the "Lounge".  Have things gone all civilized 'round here?

Message 9/9             30-Jan-12  @  03:16 PM   -   RE: A new 64 bit DAW build. Opinions?

safeandsound123

I would consider cloning all the drives onto fresh drives for safeties sake, if they are 3 or more years old.Try the Integral SATA copy station (if they are SATA drives). I have been using one of these for a while very handy and convenient.

It will cost you though as there is a temporary price rise on HDD's due to Thailand flooding. all drives are about 40pct up on last years average prices.

cheers

SafeandSound
music mastering

SafeandSound Mastering, low cost, high end

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot