aaa Looking for a new PC - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Looking for a new PC

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             05-Dec-12  @  03:17 PM   -   RE: Looking for a new PC

somebody

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What's up what's up? Been a looooong time. Anyone here from last millenum and around 2000-2002? You'll know me.. New time new name.

Here's the point though. My little 2nd gen i5 laptop ain't cutting it. I can't do half of what I want in Reason; perhaps that's due to some of the new rack extensions being a bit processor-hungry but I intend to use, say, 8 Kongs, 15 synths, & 50-60 plugins before I'm happy with an arrangement. SO: working track by track does not work for me. If it ain't all happening at once then my brain has problem(s).

Thinking a 3rd gen i7 laptop could do it. Also thinking of a gaming laptop with 16 gb of RAM, but there I'm spending money on graphics processing as well. I'm buying this PC 99,9% for Reason. Everything else I usually do, I can do on a given computer. Should I just buy a desktop again, or am I right that laptops are getting powerful enough?? I think I need CPU & RAM, in that order. Remember, I used to use hardware exclusively so I'm not 100% sure where the computer needs to be fastest. HDD speed? Should I look into smaller SSD storage setups?

I don't care about having a fast computer, or really even having one. It's a means to an end, but I do care about using all my Softube, DCAM, etc. plugins freely and having the computer resources available for me to experiment away. I've got 15-20 tracks I could sort of finish (some may just have a good riff in there) but my PC is so underpowered I have taken a Reason break.

Cheers, dancetech! 

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             06-Dec-12  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: Looking for a new PC

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

if u are considering the pricey "gaming laptop", then maybe get a rammed macbook pro (and an external thunderbolt drive like damballah uses, they are mega-fast).

less "pc/windows faffing" too, which is nice if u are ex-hardware, macs are more "hardware" like imo.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot