aaa new pc build time .. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: new pc build time ..

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17             25-Feb-05  @  10:34 PM   -   new pc build time ..

beds

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

it's that time again, gonna build a new main music box. i haven't followed new pc bits and pieces for a while. so any thoughts on ... 64 bit? pci-express? boards? ram? fsb? gbh? ddt? gay bishops?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             25-Feb-05  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

psylichon

64-bit: yes
pci-x: might as well
boards: Nvidia seem to be the most popular on the DAW forums
ram: I recommend some
fsb: You'll need one of those too
lsd: I'll take some of that.

Message 3/17             25-Feb-05  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

beds

what's the point of 64bit if windoze is still 32 and all apps i have are all 32 as well?

Message 4/17             26-Feb-05  @  12:19 AM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

psylichon

because these things are gonna start happening more and more in the coming days. Besides, 64-bit chips are proven to perform 32-bit tasks better than their 32-bit bretheren anyway.

64 bit will be here within a year or two for real, why not prepare now? they're not that much more expensive.

Message 5/17             27-Feb-05  @  08:58 PM     Edit: 27-Feb-05  |  10:50 PM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

beds

anyway, just in case anyone's looking, talked to a few people, read some websites and so far i've decided to go with this motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with a amd 64 3000+ processor.

Message 6/17             28-Feb-05  @  06:17 AM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

welder

I've just built an Athlon 64 machine, (that old celeron 800 started to be a little slow for these new plugins :-)

Well, they have this nice RAM controller in the processor (they call it hypertransport or something), so with some decent CL2 DDR RAM it should be really fast. Just make sure you buy TWO ram modules, (512MB/512MB or 1GB / 1GB) to get double bandwith for ram access. (If the motherboard supports dual-channel memory access, that is).

About video card, well, some say ATI, some say NVIDIA, thing is, if you don't plan any serious gaming then you shouldn't invest much into that one. Make sure it has digital outputs, preferably for two screens. If you DO plan some gaming then it needs a bit more of research, go for one with HW support for pixelshader 3.0, at least 128 MB onnbnoard memory...

gotta run :-)

Message 7/17             28-Feb-05  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

dARKSTATe

Depending on cost and cooling solutions - you can probably push
that Athlon 64 3000+ up a couple of notches without too much pain!

I'd recommend a 3400+ before the price starts ramping stupidly! Got one of those in the gigging laptop with 1GB of ram and its feckin' fast i tell ya!

Message 8/17             28-Feb-05  @  01:33 PM     Edit: 28-Feb-05  |  01:37 PM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

beds

cost is always an issue innit. ramping? i can't see processor prices going up, surely?

the 3000+ is the 'entry level' processor for these 939 mobos at around £90, i can always upgrade later. 3500+ is double the price at the moment. fuck that.

have i got to get 2 sticks of identical ram with this board? anyone know?

and do i get pc2100, pc2700, pc3200 or pc4000 ? the mobo will take any of these ... i never had this much choosing to do with the last 3 builds.

Message 9/17             28-Feb-05  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

welder

PCxxxx, the higher the better, as long as the motherboard supports it (goto MSI webpage and check the specs).

Also, buy CL2 (or CL2.5) if possible. Better timing, faster reads/writes.

Also, check if the mobo supports dual-channel ram configs, if yes (most probably, if not, then get an ASUS motherboard with VIA chipset, I know that VIA had problems before, but now its rock solid and slightly faster than nforce3) then buy two identical ram modules. (Hell, they even sell ram modules in pair, but you prolly don't need that. Twinmos products are fine, or Kingston. Forget no-name ram.)

Message 10/17             28-Feb-05  @  04:55 PM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

beds

i'm sticking with that board.

crucial.com offers me either CL 2.5 or 3. is 3 better than 2.5 ? - there's no difference in price unless you buy pc4000.

and what sort of performance increase am i getting if i buy pc4000 instead of 3200?

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot