aaa rebuilt the mac pro with Snow Leopard - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: rebuilt the mac pro with Snow Leopard

Pages: 1

Original Message 1/4             10-May-11  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: rebuilt the mac pro with Snow Leopard

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

eeee... had a window of opportunity to rebuild the old mac pro with Snow leopard. That was a labour of love i can tell you; it takes bloody ages to install logic and final cut. First thing off the bat the dvd drive decided at that exact day and time it would no longer see any commercial dvd or cd, only self-burnt cd's, it was dead as a fart, so i had to rip a pioneer 110 dvd burner out of a windows machine (grrrr) just to even begin to install the OS

nice now it's done tho, new 1tb barracuda 32mb cache boot-drive & snow leopard and it seems nippier now and certainly it is a bit quieter for some odd reason.
networking seems faster too, overall it seems just to have a faster response.

there was some problems like the e-sata card not being seen as a network port address, some permissions went haywire, but all ok eventualy

doncha just hate rebuilding computers.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             17-May-11  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: rebuilt the mac pro with Snow Leopard

Mr2Hatman

Well it just gets worse, what ive done now and i recomend is to use carbon cloner a free bit of software and clone your fresh install to another drive which will be bootable, this works with all 3rd party plugins in logic and saves a lot of time entering serial nos ect.

of course then there is samples on another drive and also the drive just used for audio, but if you clone them regular you are safe, its saved my bacon especially if you install a software update, only to find your sound drivers arnt done yet and screw logic up, and can even damage tracks if you then save a corrupting track, which will probably go mad once your 99 percent complete.

so just clone the clone back to master drive, all backups are incremental so only changes saved.

The chap says donate when you trust it, i now trust it twice.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 3/4             17-May-11  @  10:52 PM   -   RE: rebuilt the mac pro with Snow Leopard

k

hmm! so it's kinda like time machine in one respect but can also make a total drive copy which can be shifted to a new boot drive should ye olde makintosh HD die?

ahh. I got raid for all my data so i'd only lose system files and any downloads, docs etc, trouble is i'd need to buy at ;east 2 new 1tb backup drives to actualy contain the backups if i was to run the s/w doh! mind you usb ones are only about 60 quid or so

good tip tho for us mac newcomers! cheers man

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/4             18-May-11  @  10:43 AM   -   RE: rebuilt the mac pro with Snow Leopard

k

hmm another good thing; with snow leopard when i do a screen video capture with system audio recording and mic recording all at the same time, theres no more popping on the mic track (captured from the onboard audio line-input via an external pre-amp line-out) which you'd get sometimes with leopard, it wasnt bad in leopard, but now it's completely gone

Pages: 1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot