aaa new pc build time .. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: new pc build time ..

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 25-Feb-05  @  10:34 PM   -   new pc build time ..

beds

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

it's that time again, gonna build a new main music box. i haven't followed new pc bits and pieces for a while. so any thoughts on ... 64 bit? pci-express? boards? ram? fsb? gbh? ddt? gay bishops?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/17             01-Mar-05  @  08:54 AM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

welder

Link?: Link

No, go for CL2.5 (the smaller the CL number the better).

PC4000, to be honest I don't know, probably yes, but I'm not aware HOW faster it will be. If you get PC4000, make sure that the mobo supports it, this is a kind of standardised specification for the DDR RAM.

I had to go to a meeting yesterday, so I didn't had time to stress the importance of the dual-channel RAM config. :-) With VSTs and digital audio, there is an enormous amount of data that has to be moved back and forth the CPU. No matter how big is the CPU cache, it is usually not enough for the DSP operations performed by plugins (generating or modifying high bandwith audio streams). So even if you have a really fast CPU, the bottleneck will be the memory access. By having a dual-channel config actually doubles the bandwith between the CPU and the RAM.

Message 12/17             01-Mar-05  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

dARKSTATe

Good solid advice, but IMO I doubt you'll notice any discernable difference...

Go for the best you can afford...

Message 13/17             03-Mar-05  @  11:14 AM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

beds

never! i'll buy what ever isn't the leading edge. so 3200 it is. 2 big fat gbs.

what about cooling? zalman is it?

and those acoustic tiles you can stick inside the box ... any good? any point?

Message 14/17             04-Mar-05  @  06:55 AM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

welder

Well, if you don't get a "boxed" version of the AND Athlon 64 then go for a high diameter fan. Zalmann, Coolermaster are both good alternatives. I know that there is some water-cooling systems around, but I haven't seen one yet, and not sure if its quiet or not, but for sure it is a bitch to install.

If you really want a quiet PC you might have two options: either get a "quiet" chassis (with a power supply with a large and slow fan), or... and yeah I'm a bit unsure about this, I was in Sweden for a while and I have seen some boxes with realy good sound insulation, you could put your nasty, ugly, noisy PC inside, close thelittle door, and there was almost no noise coming out (and yeah, it had one, big silent fan to get rid of the heat inside). I have no idea from where one can get any of these, but apart from the fact that you have to open a door to put in a disc, these are unbeatable.

Message 15/17             04-Mar-05  @  07:00 AM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

broken finger

ok, you can bouild one...
http://www.carsten-buschmann.de/noise-protection/

Message 16/17             10-Mar-05  @  10:10 AM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

k

Link?:  Link

heh... can I get it with furry dice? - ewwwww

heh, i might build a 64 soon, if so there'll be a video diary of it.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 17/17             15-Mar-05  @  12:58 PM     Edit: 15-Mar-05  |  01:37 PM   -   RE: new pc build time ..

beds

well, it's built, but having trouble getting 4 sticks in it cheaply. they've got to be single sided pairs for ddr400 if you want to fill the slots.

and with only 2 sticks of 512 in it only reports 512 total in windows.

msi MS-6702E socket 939 mobo
amd 64 3000+ (came with fan .. not entirely quiet)
2 sata 160gb, one partitioned for os and apps (~20gb .. will probably stick a 40gb ide one just for this eventually)
blue storm 400w psu .. this was cheap and will probably go in another (web and games and video work) pc next month .. it is quiet .. but again not great.

oh yeah, i got the via K8T800 version of the msi board ... cheaper than the nforce3 one (ms-7025) and i've used via based boards before with no trouble ... please nobody tell me this was a bad descision

i've not installed anything on it yet apart from windows, i'll try and run some tests on it when i get the memory thing sorted.

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot